Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2021, 11:08 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,983,825 times

Advertisements

Last weekend I purchased an AK platform rife. It came with one magazine and I purchased another at the show. Searching online I am finding both 922r compliant and non-compliant mags and the non-compliant are a bit cheaper. If I do not intend to make any modifications to the rifle do I need to worry about a non-compliant magazine? If it is relevant to the discussion I purchased a Zastava M70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 10:04 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times
I am not sure of the laws in your state.
Heck I’m not even sure of some of the new laws in my 2 states.
I’ve been collecting weapons for a good 40 years.
Lots of these fall into a grandfather clause.
It used to be that you could possess 20 round magazines if you purchased them before a certain date.
Same with several of my weapons.

I once asked several of my law enforcement friends about this and how could they tell.
They said that with magazines there was no way to tell.

One of my friends is a “super cop” he has been on the job for a long time and was a swat instructor among other duties.
Any way he needed some plumbing work so I did it.
I do simple jobs for friends for free.
It’s just my policy and there is never any drama of business headaches.
So when I’m done he offers me some high capacity mags that said LEO only.
I’m like are you nuts?
He said for the most part we don’t care about magazines.
We only tag that on to criminals and you are not a criminal so we don’t care.
It sounded nice and all but I passed.

If you are a good guy there might be some leeway, but I’m not saying that there is.
Your mileage may vary.

Old 07-17-2021, 12:39 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,983,825 times
Here in Arizona there is not likely to be problems. My gun will not be used in criminal activity and I do not anticipate trouble but still abide by CYA. This is a new subject matter to me. Might have to run this by Alan Korwin.

Old 07-17-2021, 12:41 PM

4,900 posts, read 2,054,437 times
I’m not a lawyer, but the way I interpret the whole 922r issue is that it relates to both the Manufacturing AND Importation of selected semi-automatic modern sporting arms.

Once the firearm has been manufactured and/or imported AND SOLD to the private costumer, the 922r issues is over. Once you own that weapon, for an example, you do not need to use that US made MagPul AKM/AK-47 magazine, which counts for three US made parts, of the five or six needed US parts on a AK pattern rifle…. You are free to use a 100% Romanian, Hungarian, Chinese or whatever magazine.

The MagPul magazine is a good magazine, but an East German, Hungarian or whatever is still a superior magazine… Strength and durability wise. The reason why most manufacturers are now using MagPul magazines are that they are now a lot cheaper than a new/like-new real AK magazine…. The days of $5-$8 new AK magazines are long over, just like the days of the $300-$400 AK rifles, in the US.

Plus, to date, nobody who has bought an AK, as an example, and used a real AK magazine and throwing off the US parts count has ever been prosecuted…. Since it’s not a criminal violation for a non manufacturer/importer.

Old 07-17-2021, 01:39 PM

7,510 posts, read 4,350,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Last weekend I purchased an AK platform rife. It came with one magazine and I purchased another at the show. Searching online I am finding both 922r compliant and non-compliant mags and the non-compliant are a bit cheaper. If I do not intend to make any modifications to the rifle do I need to worry about a non-compliant magazine? If it is relevant to the discussion I purchased a Zastava M70.
Indeed you do, just play it safe and use a compliant magazine. Here's what I found:

Quote:
My first thought when I jumped into this was, “Who cares? I will just buy a rifle or shotgun that is already built and not have to worry about the law.”

Not so fast. Sure, you can buy a firearm that is in compliance, but swapping out a part or two could later secure you a bed in the proverbial “Gray Bar Hotel.”

If you are going to own a firearm subject to these regulations, know the law — claiming ignorance later will not keep you from being prosecuted.

Making it Legal
Depending on whether you are building or modifying an AK or Saiga, you’ll likely be looking at replacing three to six parts (to U.S.-manufactured parts) to reach compliance.

If you are modifying a firearm that has already been made compliant, be careful. Changing a single part could land you in hot water with the feds.

A quick search of the firearms forums and gunsmiths used to working with these types of firearms have identified the following as the parts most often selected to reach 922r compliance:

Trigger
Hammer
Disconnector
Buttstock
Pistol grip
Handguard (upper and lower handguards on an AK only count as one compliance part)
Gas piston
Magazine parts — This is the most important item of the list. The body, follower and floorplate each count as one compliance part, but it comes with great risk. Swap a magazine or get caught with the wrong magazine, and you could find yourself holding a ticket for a one-way trip to the federal pokey.
The important thing to remember is the magic number based on the platform. That you need to research to ensure you are working off the latest data. ---https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/922r-compliant/
Quote:
“It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to –

(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.” https://gununiversity.com/922r-compliance/
I don't own an AK platform rifle. But all I can say is what a stupid law. It just goes to prove how asinine some of these laws are and those who pass them.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 07-17-2021 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-17-2021, 01:57 PM

7,510 posts, read 4,350,124 times
Quote:
Here in Arizona there is not likely to be problems. My gun will not be used in criminal activity and I do not anticipate trouble but still abide by CYA. This is a new subject matter to me. Might have to run this by Alan Korwin.
Yeah, me too and I also live in Arizona.

I guess you'd have to be in a situation where you used the rifle to defend yourself? Then some wise ass prosecutor might take the rifle apart and if they find more than 10 foreign parts you'd be charged and prosecuted under federal law.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

Old 07-19-2021, 06:46 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Quote:
922R is more of a manufacturing requirement, not an owner requirement. Your imported AK is already 922R compliant. The manufacturer/importer made sure of that. I wouldn't worry about magazines, compliant or not, but if you modify the AK theoretically you might enter the gray zone of regulations. Focus on "theoretically" - for owners 922R compliance has never been really an issue. Worry about other things...

Old 07-19-2021, 08:39 AM

10,728 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I’m not a lawyer, but the way I interpret the whole 922r issue is that it relates to both the Manufacturing AND Importation of selected semi-automatic modern sporting arms.

Once the firearm has been manufactured and/or imported AND SOLD to the private costumer, the 922r issues is over. Once you own that weapon, for an example, you do not need to use that US made MagPul AKM/AK-47 magazine, which counts for three US made parts, of the five or six needed US parts on a AK pattern rifle…. You are free to use a 100% Romanian, Hungarian, Chinese or whatever magazine.

The MagPul magazine is a good magazine, but an East German, Hungarian or whatever is still a superior magazine… Strength and durability wise. The reason why most manufacturers are now using MagPul magazines are that they are now a lot cheaper than a new/like-new real AK magazine…. The days of $5-$8 new AK magazines are long over, just like the days of the $300-$400 AK rifles, in the US.

Plus, to date, nobody who has bought an AK, as an example, and used a real AK magazine and throwing off the US parts count has ever been prosecuted…. Since it’s not a criminal violation for a non manufacturer/importer.
Sorry, but that's not correct. If a 922r compliant mag was used to meet the US parts requirement, then using a non-compliant magazine magazine WILL result in a 922r violation (assuming no other US made parts are added to come into compliance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
922R is more of a manufacturing requirement, not an owner requirement. Your imported AK is already 922R compliant. The manufacturer/importer made sure of that. I wouldn't worry about magazines, compliant or not, but if you modify the AK theoretically you might enter the gray zone of regulations. Focus on "theoretically" - for owners 922R compliance has never been really an issue. Worry about other things...
Again, not true.

922r is ABSOLUTELY an owner/user requirement. If your weapon doesn't meet the required US parts count, you are in violation, regardless of whether the parts count was met at the time the weapon was sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting