Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 12:18 AM

207 posts, read 535,903 times

Advertisements

For years and years i have had trouble with my hair being very oily. I have been told not to wash my hair everyday because my hair can fall out. Well I take vitamins and all. But if I don't wash my hair for a day my scalp itches. Plus when i started a new job I was stressed alot so I had a receding hair line. And none of it have grown back yet. At work we have to wear our hair in a pony tail. Plus after washing my hair within 8 hours it's only and gross. I mean my sister in-laws they can go with outdays washing their hair and it doesn't get oily at all.
What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 01:14 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,313,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
For years and years i have had trouble with my hair being very oily. I have been told not to wash my hair everyday because my hair can fall out. Well I take vitamins and all. But if I don't wash my hair for a day my scalp itches. Plus when i started a new job I was stressed alot so I had a receding hair line. And none of it have grown back yet. At work we have to wear our hair in a pony tail. Plus after washing my hair within 8 hours it's only and gross. I mean my sister in-laws they can go with outdays washing their hair and it doesn't get oily at all.
What can I do?
Do you also have oily skin in general? Do you have other symptoms like acne, infrequent menstrual cycles or more hair growth (on other body parts)? If so you might want to go to the doctor and get your testosterone level tested as excess levels can cause oily skin/hair and receding hairline.

In the meantime use a dry shampoo (like brushing corn starch through your scalp) to absorb the oils during the day and wash it when you feel like it gets itchy. To me this sounds hormonal though.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:10 AM

207 posts, read 535,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Do you also have oily skin in general? Do you have other symptoms like acne, infrequent menstrual cycles or more hair growth (on other body parts)? If so you might want to go to the doctor and get your testosterone level tested as excess levels can cause oily skin/hair and receding hairline.

In the meantime use a dry shampoo (like brushing corn starch through your scalp) to absorb the oils during the day and wash it when you feel like it gets itchy. To me this sounds hormonal though.
I have I do have testosterone problems like, PCOS I am overweight. My doc said to exercise alot to keep my hormones balance. I am going back to her soon. I have always had oily skin. Are you saying during the day put corn starch in my hair and if it gets itchy just to wash it?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,717,169 times
I can't skip or I feel disgusting.

Try these different type of shampoo and see what works:
- baby shampoo
- sulfate free shampoo
- shampoo that deeply moisturizes

Its your health that will make it fall out more than a shampoo. I have read the sulfate free types are better for not losing hair though. Get your doctor to get you on a plan for weight loss and exerecise. Usually the less fat you have the less the PCOS kicks your system out of wack. It will go slow though because of the pcos. Stick to it anyway.

You can wear a scarf like a headband to help disguise any thinning while you get healthier.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,636,710 times
Consider asking for a referral to an endocrinologist to get the PCOS addressed, and the related issues (excessive oiliness, male pattern hair loss) should correct themselves.

For your hair, don't use cornstarch if you are acne-prone, it clogs pores. Use old school talcum baby powder instead. Just sprinkle a little on your roots, work it in, let it sit a few minutes, then brush it out. Use a wooden comb as the final step, that will release any static that the baby powder might have introduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care