Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 PM

444 posts, read 820,761 times

Advertisements

Hello,

What have been your experiences with "Brazillian Blowouts / Keratin Based Hair Smoothing"?

I've been thinking about getting one, but I want to know it will help with my hair situation and work like they say it will before I spend so much on it. I can easily straighten my hair (and have it look nice) every morning, I just don't want to. I can also easily curl my hair; I don't want to do that either. I have semi curly semi straight hair, that is thick for a white persons hair.

But, if I'm still going to have to straighten or curl my hair every morning, even a little, then it's not really worth the money.

What happens after the 12 weeks? Is it like dye (ie when the hair grows out and just the new part isn't treated, because duh it's new growth)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 10:58 AM

48,544 posts, read 34,904,021 times
For the most part it will remove the frizzing but not the curl. You can prolong it by using sulfate free shampoo just like hair color. It's much healthier for your hair than straightening via flatiron, and you will spend less time to straighten it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-08-2014, 02:06 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,610,335 times
It gradually wears off the entire hair shaft, so as it slowly wears off your hair will go back more and more to its before-keratin state. Your hair will not hold a curl as well, more so soon after the treatment. Once it's worn off, though, no problem with that. If you have a lot of trouble with frizz in the summertime, maybe wait until late spring to have it done so it will last through the worst of the humidity.

However, take a look at where the hair fashions are going. I had it done 4 times in all starting about 3 years ago, but now I wouldn't do it because the hairstyles are much more wavy/curly than in recent past.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:03 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,005,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Hello,

What have been your experiences with "Brazillian Blowouts / Keratin Based Hair Smoothing"?

I've been thinking about getting one, but I want to know it will help with my hair situation and work like they say it will before I spend so much on it. I can easily straighten my hair (and have it look nice) every morning, I just don't want to. I can also easily curl my hair; I don't want to do that either. I have semi curly semi straight hair, that is thick for a white persons hair.

But, if I'm still going to have to straighten or curl my hair every morning, even a little, then it's not really worth the money.

What happens after the 12 weeks? Is it like dye (ie when the hair grows out and just the new part isn't treated, because duh it's new growth)?
I have curly hair, and got the keratin treatment a few years ago. It was OK. I still had to blow my hair out, so that was a disappointment. However, my hair didn't frizz for a long time after that, even in the humid summer. So if frizz reduction is a priority, I think it's worth it. However, I didn't find that it really saved me any time or trouble.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:12 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,631,455 times
Although these types of treatments DO have an effect on the curl pattern of your hair, they generally are used to reduce frizziness.

They were VERY specific about that in my BB cert classes, and to make sure to inform people that it is NOT a straightening procedure, and rather a smoothing one.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:51 AM

6 posts, read 7,786 times
I have always been curious about a brazilian blowout and its effects on my hair and quite honestly it has always been negative. There have been talk of it making your hair fall out or major damage. So I found myself questioning it for years. After my new sister-in-law and a friend from Fashion School told me about their very positive experiences, I gave in. I have always had naturally curly hair, the longer it became, the more kinky, frizzy and unmanageable. I used to have beautiful ringlets that I would sport everyday, up until college. The whole process in the end took a whole 1 and a half hours. And I have a lot of hair so that is saying a lot. There was no permanent damage – my eyeballs didn't fall out and happily my curls didn't disappear. I was actually quite lucky, because as I was getting my brazilian blowout done, a L’Oreal representative gave me some of these amazing products to try out! I never get lucky like this. They are sulfate free and better for your hair. Now it has been years and now i'm using Deep Repair from unnique which is a Formaldehyde Free Keratin Treatment.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:45 AM

12,063 posts, read 10,285,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Hello,

A friend of mine had it done and it didn't do what she expected. I think she thought that she was going to have jump out of the shower, let it air dry, straight stick hair, and NO.

At least it was a gift, so the 300 dollars didn't come out of her pocket.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,052,999 times
I have it and I LOVE it! I don't have to break out the flat iron at all. I follow my hairdresser's instructions to the T. She told me to only use the products for the blowout and if I am ever in a hotel and don't have my stuff with me or whatever, DO NOT wash your hair - just rinse it with water because the sulfates in regular shampoo will destroy the blowout. I haven't been in a situation where I didn't have my stuff with me, so I don't know if it would truly be a disaster or not, but I don't want to find out. I have long hair, so my blowouts cost almost $600 (including tip for hairdresser and her assistant). Oy vey ... the things we do for vanity!

Old 04-01-2014, 03:59 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,975,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I have it and I LOVE it! I don't have to break out the flat iron at all. I follow my hairdresser's instructions to the T. She told me to only use the products for the blowout and if I am ever in a hotel and don't have my stuff with me or whatever, DO NOT wash your hair - just rinse it with water because the sulfates in regular shampoo will destroy the blowout. I haven't been in a situation where I didn't have my stuff with me, so I don't know if it would truly be a disaster or not, but I don't want to find out. I have long hair, so my blowouts cost almost $600 (including tip for hairdresser and her assistant). Oy vey ... the things we do for vanity!
I had one last year. It didn't last long, but my hair is extremely long and thick. Mine cost $300, but I think it was worth it. I don't think I followed my hairdresser's instructions to the letter, but I don't recall for sure. I'm thinking about getting another one next week. The new hairdresser I spoke to said she'd give me that crap to put in it to make it last longer. I must confess, I'm not much of a girly girl at heart, which was probably why it didn't last very long, but it was really nice while it lasted. My hair wasn't damaged at all, and I color occasionally too. I'm just careful not to do chemical treatments too often.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:01 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
$600, that is absolute madness.

Imagine what that same money could do for poor people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care