Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 01:09 AM

6,399 posts, read 6,292,083 times

Advertisements

I tried Wen and liked it fine but it is out of my price range on a regular basis. What is the dif btwn this and just any conditioner? That is all it felt like to me. Is there another cleansing ingredient vs any conditioner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 03:32 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,510,249 times
I'd like to know this too. I think Wen is mostly moisturizing conditioner, so I'm thinking I'll use my strengthening conditioner next time I don't have to go out in public after I wash it and see what it does.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 PM

Please report back a results!

I'll do this too and see what happens.

I found an ingredient list here:
What Ingredients are in Wen vs. the Competitors? | Gouldylox Reviews

Here are the ingredients in basic SWEET ALMOND MINT WEN ($32.00):

Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Wheat, Protein, Panthenol, Butylene Glycol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 60, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Amodimethicone, Citric Acid, Menthol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance (Parfum, Limonene).

According to Wen, here are the benefits of the key ingredients.

Glycerin: provides moisturizing benefits to the hair. One of the best humectants and has natural moisturizing properties.
Chamomile Extract: designed to help add sheen and highlights. Used for its soothing, calming properties.
Cherry Bark: designed to bring out color, shine & softness in all shades of natural and color-treated hair. Formulated to help with the manageability of your hair.
Rosemary Extract: designed to condition, tone and strengthen hair. Is an invigorating toner and astringent.
Panthenol: helps to promote and restore resilience. A penetrating moisturizer that plumps the hair shaft to make it appear thicker. Designed to reduce split ends, smooth, strengthen and seal in moisture.
Sweet almond oil: designed to contribute conditioning and glide to hair, as well as a conditioned feel to the skin. Softens, soothes and is an excellent moisturizer for the hair.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:16 PM

Okay I used Fructis Sleek & Shine conditioner yesterday. It cleaned both my hair and scalp but didn't leave it quite as bouncy as Wen. I thought it would only last a day but it's fine today too. My scalp will need cleansing tomorrow - it has just a slight odor today.

I color my hair at home and noticed that it doesn't cover well when I use Wen. I'll have to use regular shampoo the day before I color to get it to take.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:21 AM

I agree about the bouncy thing. I just did it yesterday w Jason Natural conditioner. Very FLAT but it DOES FEEL CLEAN still.

Good point about the Wen before coloring. I know "they" always tell you no "not wash before coloring" but i color my hair at home too and i never get the same results at home. Maybe because i color it red. idk . .

Old 10-11-2014, 08:21 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,213,191 times
I have been using WEN for about 2 years. When away from home I just use conditioner. The sales pitch is that WEN has herb extracts that in some way help the hair. I have no idea what is true and what isn't.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:03 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,990,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I tried Wen and liked it fine but it is out of my price range on a regular basis. What is the dif btwn this and just any conditioner? That is all it felt like to me. Is there another cleansing ingredient vs any conditioner?
My wife and I used Wen for a while. I have some pros and cons to share regarding the experience:
Cons:
- expensive products (and you go through a ton following instructions
- subscription based service which just keeps sending/charging unless you go through some effort to cancel
- some people (like my wife) feel their hair started to look greasy after a couple weeks; although I disagreed and liked the effect on my own hair, I can see the relevance of that opinion.

Pros:
- it works, your hair will be smooth and shiny and healthy looking
- the products have ingredients that I feel are trustworthy

Overall:
- I no longer use Wen... in fact I've done a lot of research on hair care and learned that the best things you can do for your hair don't cost much at all.
a) use almond oil to heal split ends (if you don't want to cut your hair)
b) use coconut oil or olive oil on your hair for overall healthy look, shine, and to enable smooth brushing/combing/detangling.
c) only use wooden combs or natural bristle hair brushes
d) wash your hair at most only once every three days. Use a very mild shampoo and finish with a conditioner. Find products with few and natural ingredients rather than products with alcohol and unpronounceable chemicals. Words to live by: if you cannot eat it, never put it on your skin or hair.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,950,599 times
There are several options for cleansing conditioners. I use Ouidad and like it. Not sure how it compares to Wen because I never used Wen. I've also used regular condition and that was fine, but left my hair a bit too flat. Here's a link to more 11 Cleansing Conditioners That Will Actually Replace Your Shampoo

Old 10-29-2014, 01:11 PM

140 posts, read 170,133 times
Sally's has an off-brand called "Hair One" - it might be a little cheaper than Wen?

I just wash with bar soap. I make a lather between my hands and then put it on my scalp like shampoo. It brings a little more bounce and lightness to my hair without stripping the oil.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:25 PM

I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative to Wen, because I do love how much shinier my hair is. I bought Pantene Cleansing Conditioner at Walgreens for $8 for 16 oz and it left my hair a little flatter than I like. It looked clean, it just didn't give it body to stay a little puffy on top. Oh and it only took 5 pumps for my waist length hair, so it's much much cheaper than Wen which takes 4 to 6 times as much product. I'll go ahead and use it for sure.

Next I'm going to try to find the L'Oreal brand. Thanks for that link with the list bande1102.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care