Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 07:12 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times

Advertisements

A documentary about good hair. It's on right now on Oprah's OWN. Very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
A documentary about good hair. It's on right now on Oprah's OWN. Very interesting.
I saw it. I liked it.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:38 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,968 times
It's really a well done movie. I learned a lot from it! I highly recommend watching it.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 PM

188 posts, read 406,137 times
Its okay, but it doesn't truly explore the complexities around Black women and their hair. Black women's hair is very much connected to the issues surrounding skin color (colorism) also. While these topics can seem like no big deal, they are as a result of centuries and generations of people of color who are often already mistreated, getting ahead, or held back in many situations due to skin color, hair texture, and their choice of styling. ( sorry for the run on sentence)

To truly understand the relationship between black women's hair, skin tone, and why it's such a significant factor, one might start going way back... and I know people hate that slavery, and that the conditioning of people of African descent as an underclass always has to come up... but that where it stems from

That, the European standard of Beauty, white privilege, the advantages in trying to be as far away from Black in this society... in addition to many other spoken, and unspoken nuances is the reason for the "controversy" surrounding black women's hair and the various skin tones among people of African descent.

Lastly, the creation of that "documentary", came from how inadequate his daughter was feeling about her hair, as a result of being in predominately white spaces. Chris Rocks wife also wears hair straight hair extensions, that cascade down her back... which is not a problem. But when you begin to notice your Black daughters are beginning to experience issues relating to being black in the presence of a lot of white people, in a society with European standards of beauty; he should had a long talk with his wife about them making more of an effort to acknowledge their daughters beauty and build their confidence.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:35 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,797 times
now that alot of black women are shunning relaxers and wearing their hair "natural", they should do a sequel about the natural hair movement.

i feel like parts of this documentary made a mockery out of black women's hair. not all of us are wearing weaves made from indian hair. they could have made it a little more diverse.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:09 AM

188 posts, read 406,137 times
I totally agree, most of the movie poked fun at what continues to be a sensitive topic. I have so much respect for Black women who wear their hair natural, especially those who don't necessarily have curly or straighter textures. It takes great deal of confidence to wear natural kinky hair. It affects every area of your life. Romance and relationships, job hunting and career, and overall self esteem in a society that makes it clear that your natural hair, unless you're mixed, is not acceptable.

I really didn't appreciate the part where he walked around with a bag of what was supposed to be Afro textured hair... Then asking in a mocking tone why no one wanted to buy Black hair. As a man I can see how this issue doesn't directly affect him or many black men because this is one aspect of their blackness they can eliminate or minimize. Overall I thought the movie was not what it could have been. It really could have been a teaching moment, but instead he mocked the women going to great lengths for those straight hair extensions instead of explaining the history and reason behind some Black women's necessity to both straighten and lengthen their hair.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:42 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
now that alot of black women are shunning relaxers and wearing their hair "natural", they should do a sequel about the natural hair movement.

i feel like parts of this documentary made a mockery out of black women's hair. not all of us are wearing weaves made from indian hair. they could have made it a little more diverse.
True, but then again most of the AA women you see in positions of power and or in media 99.9% of the time either "wear hair' and or have relaxed tresses.

Condoleezza Rice, Michelle Obama, Oprah, and so many others who could be considered de facto role models for AA girls and women all have relaxed hair and or wear hair. Naomi Campbell has worn hair for so long her hairline starts almost behind her ears apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care