Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 02:21 AM

30 posts, read 90,984 times

Advertisements

I think natural hair is gorgeous, regardless of the person's hair texture, but it really irks me that so many people believe that black women shouldn't have a range of hairstyles. It's almost as if, people want to limit black women to afro hair, braids or locs and unfortunately, those styles are unflattering on me. I already look very young for my age. If I wore an afro, I'd probably look 6 or so years younger and that's not exactly the look that I'm going for at this stage in my life.

I don't like weaves either. I have my own long hair (it's straight, not with a chemical relaxer, but with a plant based product called phyto). It takes a short period of time for me to style my hair, but I notice that black women who wear natural styles often take forever to style their hair (and how many professional women have hours upon hours to spend styling their hair? -Certainly not I).

My sister wears her hair in a natural curly fro and she spends hours in the bathroom doing her hair and constantly talks about hair, as if there aren't more important things going on in life! Again, don't get me wrong, I think natural hair styles are beautiful, but I just notice that many natural black women focus far too much on their hair. There has to be a medium ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 12:14 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Mia23456 View Post
I think natural hair is gorgeous, regardless of the person's hair texture, but it really irks me that so many people believe that black women shouldn't have a range of hairstyles. It's almost as if, people want to limit black women to afro hair, braids or locs and unfortunately, those styles are unflattering on me. I already look very young for my age. If I wore an afro, I'd probably look 6 or so years younger and that's not exactly the look that I'm going for at this stage in my life.

I don't like weaves either. I have my own long hair (it's straight, not with a chemical relaxer, but with a plant based product called phyto). It takes a short period of time for me to style my hair, but I notice that black women who wear natural styles often take forever to style their hair (and how many professional women have hours upon hours to spend styling their hair? -Certainly not I).

My sister wears her hair in a natural curly fro and she spends hours in the bathroom doing her hair and constantly talks about hair, as if there aren't more important things going on in life! Again, don't get me wrong, I think natural hair styles are beautiful, but I just notice that many natural black women focus far too much on their hair. There has to be a medium ground.
I would go about wearing your hair how you like it.

What people think that black women should only do their hair in a certain manner? I have seen very many hairstyles on black women, and for the most part, they all look nice.

I guess it depends on what you think looks good on you and how much time you are willing to spend on it.

I am a white woman with fairly straight hair, more recently it has gotten pretty wavy/curly in the back due to a medication.

I wash it and comb it and that is it. I am not taking all of that time using a straightener, etc. I don't feel the need and I also don't think people need to be heat styling and damaging their hair all of the time.

I have read up on black women going natural, etc, and all of the work it seems like that goes with it.

I do think it looks pretty, but I also think it looks nice straight.

I don't think anyone is going to confine you to one hairstyle or another. Your hair, do what you want with it!

Old 07-13-2013, 02:26 PM

30 posts, read 90,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I would go about wearing your hair how you like it.

What people think that black women should only do their hair in a certain manner? I have seen very many hairstyles on black women, and for the most part, they all look nice.

I guess it depends on what you think looks good on you and how much time you are willing to spend on it.

I am a white woman with fairly straight hair, more recently it has gotten pretty wavy/curly in the back due to a medication.

I wash it and comb it and that is it. I am not taking all of that time using a straightener, etc. I don't feel the need and I also don't think people need to be heat styling and damaging their hair all of the time.

I have read up on black women going natural, etc, and all of the work it seems like that goes with it.

I do think it looks pretty, but I also think it looks nice straight.

I don't think anyone is going to confine you to one hairstyle or another. Your hair, do what you want with it!
I agree that people should simply style their hair as they like, but unfortunately, some people do place restrictions on black women, for wearing different styles. I've noticed that women who wear extensions or weaves in particular, are singled out and told that they hate themselves. It's odd in my opinion, because a hair style should never define a person.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:26 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
Quote:
I agree that people should simply style their hair as they like, but unfortunately, some people do place restrictions on black women, for wearing different styles. I've noticed that women who wear extensions or weaves in particular, are singled out and told that they hate themselves. It's odd in my opinion, because a hair style should never define a person.
They are singled out and other people tell them they hate themselves? Why?

I have seen some jacked up weaves on black and white people.

I have seen it on hairstylists. If someone who does hair is going to have a weave, I agree, it should look good.

What restrictions are being placed on black women, per their hairstyles?

I remember many many years ago in one of our employee handbooks, no braids were allowed. It was a medical office, and I don't quite know the reasoning.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:48 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:

If it doesn't bother the women with natural hair, then why should it bother you? I have natural hair and I love it! But I do not spend "hours upon hours" styling my hair. I have a routine that is no more involved than someone who blowdries their hair every morning.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:18 PM

559 posts, read 1,395,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
If it doesn't bother the women with natural hair, then why should it bother you? I have natural hair and I love it! But I do not spend "hours upon hours" styling my hair. I have a routine that is no more involved than someone who blowdries their hair every morning.
Same here. I usually wear a twistout, and on a weekend or holiday I might wear twists. I actually spent more time on my hair when it was relaxed, especially when I used to rollerset it.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:11 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,436,976 times
I wear my hair natural -- since 1995. I think the most criticism and judgment I have heard about from any "natural hair police" has been in hair forums and on Youtube. I have heard more from women with relaxed hair explaining why they relax their hair. I didn't seek an explanation from them; I assume they were just making conversation and maybe explaining themselves to a certain extent. Once, years ago, I recall a caucasian woman complimenting my hair to a black woman with a relaxer, and the black woman turned up her nose. "I bet it took forever," she said of my style. I replied, "No, just a couple of hours. And it lasts two weeks, so it's really no problem at all."

When I was relaxed, I spent hours in a salon. These days, I try not to spend two hours. I seldom do twists, and the longest styling session is when I am doing a rollerset, or flat ironing.

Women should let other women be comfortable with their styling choices. Even if someone relaxed her hair because of self-hate, what can I do about that?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:49 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,766 times
why is she spending so much time on her hair? a wash, twistout/braidout should only take two hours at the most. if she has a hard time with detangling, that my make it take a little longer. it's not as easy as washing relaxed hair.

i wear my hair natural but trying to keep it looking good during the summer months is a pain. twistouts and braidouts fail or puff up as soon as i walk outside and the humidity hits. if i straighten it, it looks like diana ross before i reach my destination. LOL. for summer, braids or curly updos are the only option. i am so tempted to go back to the relaxer and just get a cute bob haircut and keep it moving but everytime i wash my hair and see my little curls i change my mind. LMAO

Old 07-18-2014, 03:56 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,371,425 times
Natural hair looks so much more 'free' and beautiful compared to really processed, straightened, crimped, etc. hair. I like the look of natural hair, or maybe twists.

Extensions and so forth look a bit dated as far as I'm concerned. Very few people have the "dramatic" personality that suits wildly processed, colour treated hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care