Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 07:39 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who thinks that hair salon prices have gotten out of control? I do live in Chicago, but it's still ridiculous. I've looked up a lot of salons in the city and most haircuts seem to be at least $50 to $60. And that doesn't even including a blow dry! Why would you even charge your clients to blow dry their hair? It takes just a few minutes. I also think highlight prices are ridiculous.. I've seen a lot of salons charge $150 to $200 for full highlights!

That's my rant lol. I do have a question though.. why do they charge so much more for highlights than a single process color? When you highlight someone's hair, you aren't doing the entire head..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 06:06 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
Highlights take a lot more time and attention to detail. A whole head single process color can be applied quickly and the stylist has time to work on another client -- a blowout or similar -- while the color is processing on client #1. A blowouts just taking a few minutes....depends on the hair. A short cut with medium/thin hair is a few minutes. Long, thick, curly hair dried straight with a round brush can take 30-45 minutes (and aching arms & shoulders afterwards).

The salon owners have to pay their landlord, electricity (all those tools suck a lot of energy), plumbing, sometimes special waste disposal fees for the hair treatment chemicals, etc. If a stylist leaves and their clients follow them, then that can be a significant loss of income stream as well.

It's a business and they have to charge enough money to keep the doors open. It would be great to get a fabulous $35 cut, but it's unlikely in a big city with the expenses that have to be met.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:22 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
Ha, if you think that's expensive, go to NYC.

But, you can go to some places that still only charge like 30 dollars for a cut and blow out.

The reason that there is a charge for the blow dry, is because some people come in just for that and nothing else. It's part of their morning routine on some days to come in, get their hair shampooed and blow dried and be ready for the day.

At my fiance's salon there are some clients that don't even own shampoo or conditioner because the only time they get it washed is when they come in to the salon.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:38 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Yeah, anywhere outside of NYC is insane. We moved to PA and it was so inexpensive to get color and cute I couldn't believe it. It's all relative!

Old 12-28-2013, 11:29 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Come on down to Texas! I go to a Super Cuts where I can get a dry cut for $12. The woman who does it is fantastic. I don't ever color my hair nor do I want a fussy style, I blow-and-go.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:38 AM

705 posts, read 1,259,543 times
As long as it's done to my liking, I will pay $60-70 for a wash/cut/bow dry. Been going to the same person for 11 years now and never a complaint! I have straight hair so if they mess up, it keeps getting shorter and shorter.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:47 PM

389 posts, read 692,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Come on down to Texas! I go to a Super Cuts where I can get a dry cut for $12. The woman who does it is fantastic. I don't ever color my hair nor do I want a fussy style, I blow-and-go.
I hear you! I go to Great Clips and get a haircut for $12. They often give coupons so your next is only $8 or $10.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
It's expensive, cause costs have gone up.

Beauty School isn't cheap to begin with, then you have supply costs, insurance, rental fees, etc....

Even sharpening is getting more expensive; my shears guy used to charge $25, now he's up to $40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care