Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times

Advertisements

My hair is white and grey, but I want to make it all a darker shade of silver grey. All of the Clairol grey dyes are now off the market. Does anyone know of any brand or company that makes a good hair dye that will make my hair silver grey? I have a suspicion that this will not be an American brand as I have scoured the market all over for one made here, and have had no luck.
Any ideas on what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 12:07 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Have you tried a professional beauty supply shop for the Clairol products? I just did a google search for "CLAIROL Glorious Grays G-07 (Glorious Silver)" and there were a lot of places selling it for about $3.50 a bottle. If you think they are planning to discontinue it, you'd better stock up on it.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:49 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
They DID discontinue the Glorious Grays line, so I was hoping someone had maybe some foreign brand that was good. There was a brand from Thailand that was okay, but I have not seen it on ebay for awhile.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:26 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I'll DM you some links of what I've found. eBay is not the ultimate source for everything.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:19 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Darn, I loved the look of "Silk & Silver", but now that I'm getting close to needing it, it's gone.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:19 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Darn, I loved the look of "Silk & Silver", but now that I'm getting close to needing it, it's gone.
Don't give up just yet.....
Talk to someone in the field (your hair stylist/ beautician).
There are other companies out there, offering the same thing (shade) under their name and label.
But, you have to fine tune on what shade will match up.....and that's when someone with knowledge in the field/ industry will come in.
Good luck!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 61,569 times
Default Silver threads amongst the tresses.....

WELLA makes a creme toner called SILVER LADY that is really designed to use on bleached (double process) or a frosting (done with a cap, not foil). The manufacturer says to mix 1 oz of the toner with 2 oz of 20 vol peroxide, but DON'T, as you only want the pigment, you don't want anything with peroxide or a "developer". However, you can use the toner WITHOUT the peroxide if you dilute it with shampoo (or part shampoo with part water) so that you just get the deposit of the silver pigment stain.

Mix a capful (cap that is on the toner bottle, it is very concentrated) with one ounce of a silver base shampoo like Shimmer lights or Shiny Silver, mix it in well. Shampoo as usual with regular shampoo, towel dry well, then gently work the silver mixture thru (don't rub into your scalp as it can stain it), leave it on a couple of minutes, add a bit of water, lather well and rinse well. Don't do it too often as it can build up, maybe once every couple of weeks. If you need a bit more silver, you can add another cap or 2 to the mix, just be careful as it can pick up too much and it can build up. If you have long hair, don't do the ends every time.

Your hairdresser can perhaps do this for you, but some of the younger ones I have found do not know the technique for just depositing a "stain" without the peroxide and will think you are nuts.

I think Sally Beauty Supply has the Wella Creme toners. There is also a silver shampoo and conditioner that I like called "The Silver Fox", last place I found it was Vermont Country Store. Yes, I miss Silk and Silver also. The Clairol Borne Blonde Lotion (non peroxide) Toners (I think Sally's may still carry them) used to have a shade called Sweet Silver that you could use similarly to Silk and Silver, but I don't know if they make those any more either. Good luck!!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:08 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I myself have looked for grey hair dye because I thought it would look neat to just get rid of all the brown and have all silver on a wrinkle free face...But you are right...It is a beast to find any info on it let alone a product. Most of the products I found were Asian codsplay type products. I didn't want to try them as I know Asian cosmetics can have some harsh things in them.

What I did find however is that people bleach out their hair and then lay toners over it to create a grey look as already stated. Wella has great bleach products if you are curious. So I am curious now about their toners! Let us know if you find anything or want to share before and after pics!

Old 03-01-2009, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 60,883 times
Thank you to all who contributed to the info on this page. I was a hairdresser for 27 years, but have been out of the business for quite a few years. Was blonde for years and did my own color. Now i have cut off all blonde hair to let grey grow in...only to find that silk and silver is no longer around. Have been looking for something to replace it....no luck...but now this site has given me new avenues to explore. Thanks

Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
I've been using Pantene's Silver Expressions and like how it blends the silver, white and salt/pepper tones/colors. It also puts a pretty nice shine on my hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care