Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 06:22 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,001 times

Advertisements

I have very thick wavy-semi curly hair. The majority of the time I curl it (shower at night, put gel in it, next morning curl w/ curling iron & hairspray it). If I straighten it, I typically can go 4 days without washing it until it gets too greasy. I gave birth in October and now I'm losing all the pregnancy hair, so I got a hair cut and decided it looks better straight than curly right now. Unfortunately, it seems to get greasy much quicker, like after day 2 or 3. So, Sunday I didn't feel like washing and tried dry shampoo for the first time (Batiste). I was happy with the look but my scalp got itchy. I didn't put 2 & 2 together until probably Tuesday, that it might be the dry shampoo (Tuesday morning I added a little bit to a couple of spots, not much). I washed my hair Tuesday night and straightened it again. Today is Friday and it's still very itchy. I did not add any more dry shampoo. I am reading that yes, it can cause itching, but I'm only reading that it typically happens after extended use.

My coworker said she uses a certain brand, but when I looked it up I found that it's very expensive. She also said she washes with her own apple cider mix for better cleansing. I just read an article that gave different mixes for better cleansing, like a baking soda mix, vinegar mix & so forth. I'm wondering if the products I use when I curl were built up in my scalp and contributing to the itching.

Any recommendations for good cleansing mixes or dry shampoo that won't cause so much itching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 08:33 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
The itching might not be the dry shampoo, but buildup of other products you use. I have never had itching from any dry shampoo. But that said, I either make my own with cornstarch and sandalwood powder, or use Klorane which is expensive but the best commercial dry shampoo I ever used.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:50 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Jeez, why don't you just wash your hair with soap and get all that crap out of there? Then don't use anything on your head except a mild shampoo for a while. I bet all the trouble will go away.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:19 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Jeez, why don't you just wash your hair with soap and get all that crap out of there? Then don't use anything on your head except a mild shampoo for a while. I bet all the trouble will go away.

I do wash my hair every day when I put the product in. The problem is regular shampoo doesn’t wash all of it out and I’m realizing I need to do some kind of special cleanse. Which is the point of my post.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:59 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
I have Batiste and I don't know what it is, not itching, but brushing it in seemed to take some of the color out of my hair. Now what I do is spray it onto my hands first, rub them together, and then gently apply it to my scalp so I don't have the problem of brushing a lot of white crap out of my hair. You could always use baby powder in a pinch (I would but I don't like the smell).

Old 03-30-2018, 07:16 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
How much are you spraying in? Sometimes mine does get itchy from the product if I use too much or use it two days in a row. I have fine blonde hair, so I use dry shampoo to help hide how easily it shows any oil and give it texture. Mine's never itched days after washing though.

There are shampoos out there for product build-up and even treatments. I would go to a beauty supply store and see what they recommend/have.

I personally use this: https://manentail.com/products/gentl...fying-shampoo/
Leaves my scalp feeling clean.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:12 PM

323 posts, read 222,239 times
Maybe try using different kinds until you find one that doesn't irritate.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:13 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I have very thick wavy-semi curly hair. The majority of the time I curl it (shower at night, put gel in it, next morning curl w/ curling iron & hairspray it). If I straighten it, I typically can go 4 days without washing it until it gets too greasy. I gave birth in October and now I'm losing all the pregnancy hair, so I got a hair cut and decided it looks better straight than curly right now. Unfortunately, it seems to get greasy much quicker, like after day 2 or 3. So, Sunday I didn't feel like washing and tried dry shampoo for the first time (Batiste). I was happy with the look but my scalp got itchy. I didn't put 2 & 2 together until probably Tuesday, that it might be the dry shampoo (Tuesday morning I added a little bit to a couple of spots, not much). I washed my hair Tuesday night and straightened it again. Today is Friday and it's still very itchy. I did not add any more dry shampoo. I am reading that yes, it can cause itching, but I'm only reading that it typically happens after extended use.

My coworker said she uses a certain brand, but when I looked it up I found that it's very expensive. She also said she washes with her own apple cider mix for better cleansing. I just read an article that gave different mixes for better cleansing, like a baking soda mix, vinegar mix & so forth. I'm wondering if the products I use when I curl were built up in my scalp and contributing to the itching.

Any recommendations for good cleansing mixes or dry shampoo that won't cause so much itching?
You can make dry shampoos yourself as well... I’d recommend trying to make something for the deep cleanse and then do the cornstarch/baking soda combo for the dry shampoo with some essential oil to make it smell nice. I remember when I lived in Japan, the place I’d go to get a haircut would come with a 30-minute deep scalp cleanse that was the absolute best thing that ever happened to my scalp... I think they used maybe a teatree oil based cleanser.

I know my scalp is really sensitive and certain products cause tons of itching even with one use. I don’t have any problems with the powder-based dry shampoo. That said, I do not have really great skin cell turnover generally and use an AHA lotion for my skin in winter to help with the itching.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:01 AM

712 posts, read 555,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You can make dry shampoos yourself as well... I’d recommend trying to make something for the deep cleanse and then do the cornstarch/baking soda combo for the dry shampoo with some essential oil to make it smell nice. I remember when I lived in Japan, the place I’d go to get a haircut would come with a 30-minute deep scalp cleanse that was the absolute best thing that ever happened to my scalp... I think they used maybe a teatree oil based cleanser.

I know my scalp is really sensitive and certain products cause tons of itching even with one use. I don’t have any problems with the powder-based dry shampoo. That said, I do not have really great skin cell turnover generally and use an AHA lotion for my skin in winter to help with the itching.
I tried to make my own but having dark hair the white made my hair look dull. So I added unsweetened cocoa powder to the cornstarch/baking soda. Does work in a pinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I have Batiste and I don't know what it is, not itching, but brushing it in seemed to take some of the color out of my hair. Now what I do is spray it onto my hands first, rub them together, and then gently apply it to my scalp so I don't have the problem of brushing a lot of white crap out of my hair. You could always use baby powder in a pinch (I would but I don't like the smell).
I use Batiste divine dark and just love this product. I wish I had found this years ago. I have oily very thin, thinning dark hair. This product makes my hair amazing and appears thicker. No itchiness and smells amazing. The dollar tree has a dry shampoo and that one stinks so bad I have had to go outside to spray it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care