Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:34 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,456,836 times

Advertisements

I just got my hair colored. It's dark brown but the brown has too much of a red to it, which is unflattering to my skin tone. I really need a brown that has more of an ash, yet I don't want my hair to be black -- just ash brown with less red tone.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Can I do a rinse?

Thanks,

W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,637,652 times
Try Clairol Second Nature. It is available at Sally beauty. It is deposit only, no lift, and does a good job neutralizing off-tones. You will need to honestly assess your current level, then choose the ash tone for that haircolor. If no ash tone is available for your level, choose the neutral tone.

Here is a link to the Clairol site, and to the shade chart for Second Nature:

Second Nature | Clairol Pro (http://www.clairolpro.com/products/permanent/second_nature - broken link)
Second Nature Swatch (http://www.clairolpro.com/files/swatches/second_nature.php - broken link)

Edit: or, if you paid good money to a professional for the color job, you might want to call them up and ask about color correction. Considering how much professionals charge for color it ought to be exactly what you want, and a good colorist wants a satisfied client.

Last edited by tilli; 08-21-2009 at 09:34 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,275,900 times
Just wait. The red will start to wash out. Try some deep conditioning treatments and toned shampoo for silver hair. It will speed it up. If you wear make-up you may just need to change you make-up. I change my hair from brown,red, black. I always have to use different makeup.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Just wait. The red will start to wash out. Try some deep conditioning treatments and toned shampoo for silver hair. It will speed it up. If you wear make-up you may just need to change you make-up. I change my hair from brown,red, black. I always have to use different makeup.
Pitt,

Okay, sounds like a good idea. You're right. The red color washes out first. I'll try the toned shampoo for silver hair. Does that have any green in it to cancel the red?

As I say, the color is only mildly off. I just want a bit more ash as opposed to the slightly redish tones.

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2009, 01:23 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,556,495 times
You will need a semi-perm color with an ash tone. Semi perm colors are deposit only so you will need a low volume peroxide.

If it is only a little off...I would suggest an ash toned gloss or maybe even an ash toned shampoo...I would probably try this route first.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:58 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,827,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Pitt,

Okay, sounds like a good idea. You're right. The red color washes out first. I'll try the toned shampoo for silver hair. Does that have any green in it to cancel the red?

As I say, the color is only mildly off. I just want a bit more ash as opposed to the slightly redish tones.

Thanks!
As far as I'm aware, toned shampoo for silver usually has some violet/blue in it. Takes out orange-y red and brightens colours.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:57 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,574,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Try Clairol Second Nature. It is available at Sally beauty. It is deposit only, no lift, and does a good job neutralizing off-tones. You will need to honestly assess your current level, then choose the ash tone for that haircolor. If no ash tone is available for your level, choose the neutral tone.

Here is a link to the Clairol site, and to the shade chart for Second Nature:

Second Nature | Clairol Pro (http://www.clairolpro.com/products/permanent/second_nature - broken link)
Second Nature Swatch (http://www.clairolpro.com/files/swatches/second_nature.php - broken link)

Edit: or, if you paid good money to a professional for the color job, you might want to call them up and ask about color correction. Considering how much professionals charge for color it ought to be exactly what you want, and a good colorist wants a satisfied client.
This is your best bet, Second Nature or Beautiful Browns.
Second Nature has no amonia, its a depository hair color, stay away
from anything with a gold base, blue base are ash tones.
Go a shade lighter than normal bc its not lifting and depositing
just depositing as I've already said.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:42 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,637,652 times
The red will only wash out if it is deposited red. It is more likely that the red you are seeing is actually the underlying pigment of your own hair which has been revealed by the lift of the hair color. If that is the case, it will not wash out and will actually become more reddish as the deposited color fades.

Shampoos designed for silver hair only work on blonde and silver hair, because they are usually mostly violet with a bit of blue. So it cancels mostly the yellow tones and a bit of orange. What you need to cancel red is green, and if anyone knows of a shampoo/conditioner designed for ASH brown hair, please let me know. All the ones I know of are all-purpose, supposedly for any tone, but they always warm up my hair way too much.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:46 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,743,136 times
Quote:
The red will only wash out if it is deposited red. It is more likely that the red you are seeing is actually the underlying pigment of your own hair which has been revealed by the lift of the hair color. If that is the case, it will not wash out and will actually become more reddish as the deposited color fades.
That's my case, exactly! And, like the OP, it contrasts with my pigment. Finally my hair stylists have found a dark brown (not black) ash to eliminate the natural red that four weeks later starts to triumphantly assert itself again.Then back to the hairdresser. Sometimes I use L'Oreal (520? I think it is) in the interim which says Ash on the package.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:

Shampoos designed for silver hair only work on blonde and silver hair, because they are usually mostly violet with a bit of blue. So it cancels mostly the yellow tones and a bit of orange. What you need to cancel red is green, and if anyone knows of a shampoo/conditioner designed for ASH brown hair, please let me know. All the ones I know of are all-purpose, supposedly for any tone, but they always warm up my hair way too much.
Good point. We need a green wash.

My hair is not red, so the color is deposited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care