Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 04:00 PM

22,121 posts, read 13,137,630 times

Advertisements

Ain't what she used to be, yet she's morally opposed to women having to dye their hair in order to be acceptable to society or even themselves (when women say they're doing it "for themselves," they really mean others. Hello, you don't SEE yourself unless you're looking in a mirror, and it's certainly not an enjoyable thing to do). I wanted to embrace my silver, but I hate how it looks on me... Help me to deal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 05:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,209,249 times
It's all in the cut.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:29 PM

23,027 posts, read 34,438,386 times
I still color my hair for ME, no one else. I can't stand thought of going grey.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:25 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,799,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's all in the cut.
I so agree with this. I'm in the process of letting my "silver" (prefer the word over "grey") take over and do its own thing. The women whom I've seen who have done this and have well-cut and flatteringly styled hair can pull it off. Cut and condition make all the difference, in my point of view.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,092,523 times
For the first time since puberty my hair is natural and it's ugly. Grey, brown, black and the different colors are sort of patchy and overall disgusting. Makes my face look washed out too. But I am not giving up on my quest to make it look decent.

After doing a lot of research I decided to try Steel Blue Manic Panic. It's a temporary vegetable dye that makes grey hair look great on youtube. But I am sorry to report whatever difference it made was so subtle I couldn't see it at all. Next I tried Ion Brilliance Titanium and that turned the grey a beautiful silver. This one is a semi permanent dye. This stuff has possibilities.

Next I am going to get more Ion Titanium and some 30 volume bleach. I am going to try pulling my hair through a frosting cap and bleaching it white. Once I get it bleached I will dye it with the Ion Titanium. If it looks great, I will keep it. If it still looks bad I will just wait a while and go back to henna.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's all in the cut.
I'd like to think so but, in my case, it's all in how the color (salt-and-pepper) makes my complexion look. WASHED OUT.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,209,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'd like to think so but, in my case, it's all in how the color (salt-and-pepper) makes my complexion look. WASHED OUT.
You could get a cute cut and then get highlights.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:01 AM

I really don't want to do anything (artificial) to it. If I ever decided to, I'd probably get a short pixie and go back to my original color or slightly lighter. But it's the ethical struggle.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:23 AM

17,574 posts, read 39,249,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I really don't want to do anything (artificial) to it. If I ever decided to, I'd probably get a short pixie and go back to my original color or slightly lighter. But it's the ethical struggle.
It is very, very freeing to not color one's hair anymore. I don't mind mine being silver at all. The condition is SO much better, and I actually get compliments now, which I NEVER did when I was dying it dark. More compliments from men than women... I agree with others, that cut and condition make a whole lot more difference than color..

As far as "washed out" goes..... do you wear makeup at all? Sometimes when you have lighter (gray or blond) hair you need to amp up color on your brows and lips. That alone will be striking. My brows thinned and lightened, so I always need to fill and darken and it makes a HUGE difference. Otherwise, even with my tan I look "washed out." I also like a good color on my lips.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-27-2017, 08:42 AM

I don't wear makeup, as a rule. As I said, I'm a low-maintenance, "natural" type. so that's a problem!

If I did cut it short and dye it dark -- which I would dread doing, but it would be easier than trying to dye my now extremely long hair dark -- it would be only until it was more uniformly silver (my mother had the most beautiful pure white hair), at which point I'd essentially shave my head -- cut it VERY short -- and start over, going natural then.

I believe what is essentially a social imperative for women to "color" their hair (most do suddenly "go blonde," haha) is really a terrible tyranny over women who are SUPPOSED to be liberated these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care