Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:13 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,256 times

Advertisements

I want to grow my hair long. As in shoulder length long that'll take 2+ years.

The problem is:
a) I'm a guy
b) I tried it once but it didn't come that well....

So can any ladies drop some suggestions or tips on what I should do to grow out awesome hair? How did you grow your hair the way it is today? Was there anything special you had to do during that process?

The last time I did it, it came out a bit funny because I brushed it back all the time, so it created some weird wave....

My hair is naturally straight and is of typical Asian nature.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
it always seems to take forever. trim the split ends and waiting is the only answer

Old 10-15-2009, 12:42 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
You're a guy? Please don't. Keep it short, keep it neat. No pony tails, no dreadlocks, no mullets, no braids.....this isn't 1968. Nobody wants to see a guy who looks like an Old English Sheepdog.

Clean shave. Trim haircut. Mustache ok. Small tidy beard possibly ok depending on your age (over 40 looks best). Otherwise forget the muttonchops, the straggly locks, the Elvis sideburns, the soul patch.

Unless you're a mutimillionaire rock star, long hair is for drug addicts and slackers who can't be bothered to groom. Hope that's not you.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
You're a guy? Please don't. Keep it short, keep it neat. No pony tails, no dreadlocks, no mullets, no braids.....this isn't 1968. Nobody wants to see a guy who looks like an Old English Sheepdog.

Clean shave. Trim haircut. Mustache ok. Small tidy beard possibly ok depending on your age (over 40 looks best). Otherwise forget the muttonchops, the straggly locks, the Elvis sideburns, the soul patch.

Unless you're a mutimillionaire rock star, long hair is for drug addicts and slackers who can't be bothered to groom. Hope that's not you.
Thanks for your concern...? But it's a personal choice and I'm in my early 20s I don't plan to have some outrageous hairstyle. Just shoulder length hair. And I'm clean-shaven and the probability of me having a "normal" mustache would take about a month to grow.

Finally, like I said, I am of Asian descent. Which means I have naturally straight, black hair. So I don't think the above mentioned hairstyles would be suitable with my hair type anyways. I always thought having long hair meant that it's more high maintenance

Old 10-15-2009, 02:02 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times
You said "wave"...is that after having it in a pony tail? That's pretty unavoidable, if so. Mine does it whenever I use one . I've gone to using clips to avoid that, but I doubt they make any clips a man would be willing to wear.

Keep ends moisturized and trimmed (if you're prone to dry/split ends, with time). There are a couple different vitamins you can take to aid with speed and health of growing - should be able to google them (here's a start for you: Vitamins and Minerals that Promote and Stimulate Hair Growth in Men and Women (http://ezinearticles.com/?Vitamins-and-Minerals-that-Promote-and-Stimulate-Hair-Growth-in-Men-and-Women&id=365850 - broken link)). Don't over brush (I brush my hair 2x a day..3x max [once in the shower, with a shower comb, once it's partially dry, and then sometimes before bed, if I'm going to braid it to keep it off my face]) - I've heard good things about natural bristle brushes, so you might want to look at those (they're good for spreading essential oils from root to tip), and a shower comb (good for combing conditioner through hair - and a plus is you can use it to detangle your hair).

Depending on your hair, try washing it every other day. If you can't, and need to wash it daily, try to find a gentle shampoo.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
You said "wave"...is that after having it in a pony tail? That's pretty unavoidable, if so. Mine does it whenever I use one . I've gone to using clips to avoid that, but I doubt they make any clips a man would be willing to wear.
Sometimes. But I brushed it back most of the time without any ties or clips to secure it. And I've seen some black clips that are about an inch long and pretty discreet...so that's an alternative :/

When growing hair, in the early stages, did you cover it or kept it in a stylish cut while allowing it to grow long at the same time?

Old 10-15-2009, 06:26 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Sometimes. But I brushed it back most of the time without any ties or clips to secure it. And I've seen some black clips that are about an inch long and pretty discreet...so that's an alternative :/

When growing hair, in the early stages, did you cover it or kept it in a stylish cut while allowing it to grow long at the same time?
I just kept mine back in a pony tail most of the time, because I have curly hair, and I HATED it then, so I'd let it dry in a pony tail (not a normal pony tail, but more so the kind that makes it like a loose bun, but it isn't a bun? I know, that makes no sense at all. I don't know the name for the hairstyle I'm referring to). Once I got to high school, I started to appreciate my curly hair, and left it down more often than not. I didn't even trim it like I should have. My hair grows REALLY slowly, and I have gone up to 4 years without a hair cut (in fact, I just recently had my hair cut about a month and a half ago, and the haircut before that was in April or so of 2005).

Old 10-15-2009, 11:08 PM

260 posts, read 926,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

Okay, that's rude....

Old 10-15-2009, 11:14 PM

260 posts, read 926,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
I want to grow my hair long. As in shoulder length long that'll take 2+ years.

The problem is:
a) I'm a guy
b) I tried it once but it didn't come that well....

So can any ladies drop some suggestions or tips on what I should do to grow out awesome hair? How did you grow your hair the way it is today? Was there anything special you had to do during that process?

The last time I did it, it came out a bit funny because I brushed it back all the time, so it created some weird wave....

My hair is naturally straight and is of typical Asian nature.

Thanks in advance!
My hair is down to what is called tailbone length on a long hair forum I'm on.

Don't brush your hair... only use a wide tooth comb. Wooden combs are the best.

When you wash your hair, only shampoo your scalp and not the length. Use conditioner.

An herbal rinse can also help... I would recommend rosemary and sage, as it sounds like your hair is dark.

If you pull your hair back in a ponytail, don't use elastics that have metal on them, they will break your hair.

Everyone has their own "set point" as to how long their hair will grow. The growth cycle is between 3 to 7 years. Some people will be able to grow their hair to the floor and others only to their shoulders.

Good luck!!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:59 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
scrunchies & hairbands!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care