Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:07 AM

345 posts, read 643,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. 14th & You View Post
Long hair often needs a good conditioner to stay manageable; most guys with short hair don't use it regularly. A good conditioner may also allow you to extend time between trims b/c your ends won't dry out as fast.
I'll third that. I've been doing the long hair thing for a good 6+ years now (gotten it cut, aside from regular trims, several times), and presently it's past my shoulders. It's only been in the last couple years though that I've been taking better care of it...that is, using conditioner daily. It's still a chore to manage it (my hair is ridiculously think), but in the end my hair is one of the few things that I'm really vain about, so I'm happy with it.

I also get it trimmed the tiniest bit every 3 months...as per the suggestion of most women I've talked to. I don't really have a hairdresser though, I just go to this Italian barber my father uses because I know he won't interpret 1/4 inch as 2 inches.

In the end, it really depends on how your hair behaves when you grow it. I see guys with silky straight long hair and think of how easy that must be to manage, but regardless of the effort I have to put into it, I still greatly prefer long hair over short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 03:16 PM

60 posts, read 217,718 times
OP..you know what you can do? Visit hair care forums. Just google hair forums, hair care forums, grow long hair forums, etc. Just throw in stuff in google and see what you come up with. Then, you have to READ them. See what people are using to get their hair to grow, things they are using to get their hair healthier, etc. You will see peoples hair care routines, see their prgress, learn what they liked, how it worked for them, etc.

Yes, these forums will be mainly be women, but so what. I started reading up on hair care, and joined these forums, and read a lot, and started changing the way i cared for my hair. I started doing this back in May, and my hair has grown 4 inches since then after years of just staying around the same length. Also, like i said, do your own independent reading on caring for your hair. Really, it's not that bad. LOL I can hear you saying..I dont want to read nothing! lol

Good luck, and there is nothing wrong with guys with long hair. Something nice to run your fingers through.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:53 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,398 times
Le Lune,

I decided to grow my hair out a year ago. It has always been past my shoulders, but now it's 3/4 of the way down my back.

Be careful of how you handle your hair/or pull it back. You can really damage your hair with things to pull your hair back with. Use a wide toothed comb instead of a brush. Always keep the ends trimmed. Split ends work their way up the hair, and also cause weakness and breakage. Concentrate conditioner at the ends and about an inch or so up from the ends. Use a gentle shampoo. Take vitamins/minerals especially for the hair. I take B complex that also has Inositol, Biotin and Folic Acid in it. My hair has grown approximately 8 inches in the past year. I've gotten it as long as I wanted it, so now it's just a matter of keeping it well trimmed.

Good luck !

Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
I'll third that. I've been doing the long hair thing for a good 6+ years now (gotten it cut, aside from regular trims, several times), and presently it's past my shoulders. It's only been in the last couple years though that I've been taking better care of it...that is, using conditioner daily. It's still a chore to manage it (my hair is ridiculously think), but in the end my hair is one of the few things that I'm really vain about, so I'm happy with it.

I also get it trimmed the tiniest bit every 3 months...as per the suggestion of most women I've talked to. I don't really have a hairdresser though, I just go to this Italian barber my father uses because I know he won't interpret 1/4 inch as 2 inches.

In the end, it really depends on how your hair behaves when you grow it. I see guys with silky straight long hair and think of how easy that must be to manage, but regardless of the effort I have to put into it, I still greatly prefer long hair over short.

I love the rock star look, but only certain guys can carry it off. Here's a couple of my favorites.

http://fanzonesports.net/nascar/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/85564165tp011_foreigner.jpg (broken link)

http://bigdrumthump.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mike_and_howard_portnoy.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-03-2009, 01:03 PM

8 posts, read 26,110 times
Considering the fact that you're Asian and naturally straight, your hair is stronger than most, if not the strongest. I say that because Asian hair tends to be coarse and straight, and take a lot of abuse. Of course, I don't recommend abusing your hair just for the heck of it.

Maintain your daily grooming, shampooing, conditioning, brushing. Try to find coconut oil, and apply it at least once a week. Other than that, you hair doesn't need any special products, unless your hair splits and breaks off a lot.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:14 AM

10 posts, read 31,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it always seems to take forever. trim the split ends and waiting is the only answer
I totally agree with you.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:28 PM

74 posts, read 129,279 times
I have been told b vitamins help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care