Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 AM

80 posts, read 205,068 times

Advertisements

I've found a few houses for rent in the historic district of Norfolk (W 30th st.). As a local, what is your opinion on the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,020,557 times
LOL historic district....now that is funny....Is that is what they are trying to pass it off as now......30th street is smack dab in the middle of Park Place which is a very high crime section of Norfolk

Old 07-21-2010, 09:51 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,864,142 times
I actually laughed when I saw "historic" district, too. WTH?? That is like one of the worst areas in Norfolk.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:04 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
As the two previous posters stated, that is Park Place. It is "historic" in the sense that the houses are older, because once upon a time, it was one of the more upscale housing areas of the city.

Now, most of those big "historic" houses have mutlifamilies in them, or are in states of serious disrepair. It is one place in Norfolk you can actually see prostitutes, and its very common to hear gun fire and out in the open drug deals. I used to cut through on my way to ODU, and just driving through the neighborhood up and down 1 street each way (the roads going through Park Place are up and down alternating, like whatd youd find in Washington DC or Manhattan.), I saw loads of crazy stuff.

Local real estate agents and developers have been trying to relabel what is essentially a gutter, and arguably the worst section of Norfolk, and one of the worst in the whole metro area, as "affordable historic housing" or other deodorizers to try to spring that mess on the unsuspecting. I even read an article about out of state people being bussed in during day light hours to marvel at the large homes at steals of prices.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:14 AM

88 posts, read 254,414 times
I thought there was an area of Norfolk I hadn't seen

Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 PM

134 posts, read 545,091 times
Between 23rd St and 35th St is pretty rough for the most part. There is a reason houses are for sale for $50k in that area. There are also a lot of boarding houses mixed in where upwards of 10 people live in a single family home sharing kitchen and bathroom facilities.

You may be able to find a good deal right on the borders of Colonial Place or near ODU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area