Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 937 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:

So I got a job with the Navy and Marine Corp Public Health Center in Portsmouth, VA. I have to start in less than a month and need to find a place to live!! I am 29, so I would like to have an active social life. My budget is around $1000... would love to get a 2 bedroom, but can do with a 1 bedroom if there is space!! Would love to be able to walk to shops, have walking trails around, and be close to a good gym!! I am so lost about where to live. I have heard Ghent, VA Beach, Norfolk. I really don't want to rent a house. Open to a townhouse, prefer an apartment. But really open to everything. I NEED YOUR HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 PM

154 posts, read 388,533 times
Ghent is the most walkable part of the area. You'll have to commute though a tunnel, but you will be going the opposite direction of most of the traffic. I do it every day and it's fine. Portsmouth has a few hip areas but overall I wouldn't recommend it. Anything other than Norfolk or Portsmouth will be boring for a 29 year old in my opinion.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 2,933 times
I agree with stva, Portsmouth is pretty ghetto overall. Norfolk has some pretty nice areas but I would definitely look around before making a decision on a place to live online. Unfortunately the cost of living is rather high so finding an apartment for $1000 in a decent area might be a challenge. The tunnels can be a pain depending on what time your travelling to and from work so that's something to consider. I was told when I moved here to try and live on whatever side of the tunnel you'll be working. Fortunately everything is pretty close together so you can jump on 264 and be at the beach in no time and there the HRT rail system, the Tide, is pretty convenient too. Overall the area is nice though. I've lived here for 4 months now and was hesitant when I found out I was moving here because everyone kept telling me it was ghetto. I've not had any issues so far though and the people overall are pretty nice for a "big city". I lived in Fayetteville, NC for a while and it is definitely a step up. Good luck on your move.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 AM

107 posts, read 220,651 times
I have lived in hampton roads the past 12 years, and can tell you va beach would be my preference coming from another state. For your price range consider renting privately from either private owner or property managed by realtor. My best place I lived in here was privately managed, the company was great to work with.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:19 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawntelled View Post
Hi Everyone:

So I got a job with the Navy and Marine Corp Public Health Center in Portsmouth, VA. I have to start in less than a month and need to find a place to live!! I am 29, so I would like to have an active social life. My budget is around $1000... would love to get a 2 bedroom, but can do with a 1 bedroom if there is space!! Would love to be able to walk to shops, have walking trails around, and be close to a good gym!! I am so lost about where to live. I have heard Ghent, VA Beach, Norfolk. I really don't want to rent a house. Open to a townhouse, prefer an apartment. But really open to everything. I NEED YOUR HELP!!
Ghent is in Norfolk. If you're working in Portsmouth, probably best to live there, because the tunnel traffic is a lot to deal with on a daily basis, though you'll eventually get used to it. But Portsmouth is ghetto; as are parts of Norfolk, so pick your poison.

Not sure if Portsmouth will give you the walkability you're looking for, because the parts that are walkable, do not have the amenities you'll find in Norfolk. Downtown Portsmouth could be really cool, but there is a lot of lost potential there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area