Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 11:18 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times

Advertisements

Hi- We're in VB for a week this summer. We'll be travelling from the Homewood Suites on Cleveland in VB to 814 west 45th street in Norfolk at 8 in the morning.

What is an accurate traffic travel time?

What is a no-64 way to get there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 04:19 PM

154 posts, read 388,533 times
You may want to allow 40 minutes to be conservative. Traffic will be heavy but there are no tunnels to go through. You can take Virginia Beach Boulevard to avoid 64, but there are lots of stop lights.

Any flexibility on the hotel? The Spring Hill suites on Hampton is fine and is within walking distance of your destination.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stva View Post
You may want to allow 40 minutes to be conservative. Traffic will be heavy but there are no tunnels to go through. You can take Virginia Beach Boulevard to avoid 64, but there are lots of stop lights.

Any flexibility on the hotel? The Spring Hill suites on Hampton is fine and is within walking distance of your destination.

I liked the SHS but ODU fall semester opens Aug 24th and although we're there on the 3rd week of August,
I do not want to be run over by LOUD college kids who hate sleep.

So I figured let them drive early-as they are the earlybirds-and I'll sleep in.

Thanks for all your great suggestions!

Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
The college kids will be in their dorms by then, you wouldn't have to worry about them. I'd change hotels.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:33 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Hi- We're in VB for a week this summer. We'll be travelling from the Homewood Suites on Cleveland in VB to 814 west 45th street in Norfolk at 8 in the morning.

What is an accurate traffic travel time?

What is a no-64 way to get there?

Thanks!
I would say 30min on a regular day is fine, just take 64 to Tidewater Dr and cut up to Granby using Thole st. There really isn't a lot of traffic through there on a typical morning since you are getting off the interstate before the base. Honestly, unless there is an accident or some unusual thing at the Navy base (deployment, enhanced security...) there is little traffic on 64west in the AM from where you are leaving from.

You could also go through downtown by getting off at Brambleton and taking a right at the MLK memorial on Church St then cutting across to Colley on any number of cross streets... but you are gonna hit more lights that way and a little more congestion.

Like said above, you can leave 40min to be safe but I would be surprised if it took you more than 25 to be honest. I commuted to ODU for years around that time of day and it typically isn't bad as long as you avoid the base traffic.

What time are you coming home is the real issue... I would say the commute back can be a little more problematic if it is between 4 and 6 pm. The HOV lane can be your friend if you can use it since it drops you off right at the 264/64 interchange and you are staying right there. Before 4pm it is open to all traffic, after 4 you have to have a passenger, which it sounds like you will have.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:40 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
In the time you took you to type that out you could of used google maps

Old 07-11-2013, 05:58 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Yeah but that's no fun, people want the local expertise and the occasional rant from a disgruntled poster that dislikes the area and takes every opportunity to disparage it. Without those things this whole forum is useless.

But yeah, you are right... just get on google maps around the time you want to commute and it will tell you commute times in current traffic on the left hand side. The two routes I suggested show 21 and 22 minutes respectively and it is currently 755am on a weekday.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Google Traffic is completely wrong/fail in DC Metro thus, when I travel, I ask people who have experience.

Ex: I live 10 miles west of The White House-you may have heard of it, a Kenyan guy named Barak Obama lives there.
Taking 66 E, the 2nd busiest Interstate in the US, it takes around 45 minutes. It can take just under 30 minutes at 4:00am on a weekday.

Aren't you happy that I was so charitable to share with you actual DC traffic times from a 6 year NoVa residents whose DH works on Capitol Hill?

Oh wait, you don't appreciate good advice because you know everything

I have a swell suggestion for you. Drive 95S from the Mixing Bowl to F'Burg at 10 am on a Saturday.

Unless you aren't old enough to drive

Old 07-12-2013, 10:48 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Google Traffic is completely wrong/fail in DC Metro thus, when I travel, I ask people who have experience.

Ex: I live 10 miles west of The White House-you may have heard of it, a Kenyan guy named Barak Obama lives there.
Taking 66 E, the 2nd busiest Interstate in the US, it takes around 45 minutes. It can take just under 30 minutes at 4:00am on a weekday.

Aren't you happy that I was so charitable to share with you actual DC traffic times from a 6 year NoVa residents whose DH works on Capitol Hill?

I have a swell suggestion for you. Drive 95S from the Mixing Bowl to F'Burg at 10 am on a Saturday.

Gross post.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:34 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Quote:

Do us all a favor and be funnier next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area