Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,477 times

Advertisements

I like a specific apartment complex because it's secure, the rent is higher than a lot of places in the HR area. Hopefully, that keeps out a fairly large amount of the problem types. It's in a good location for me with several types of security. I'm a single woman seeking a safe and quiet place. I'm currently living with someone that I need to leave for good though. I'm paying more than they are and am getting sucked dry. However, I am afraid to fill out an application because even though my income will allow me to live there, I'm quite afraid that I won't make it past the application process due to having 2 paid medical collections and a judgement that I plan on paying before I apply.

I am in a situation where I cannot wait years for these negative items "fall off" my CR as a relative and someone else has told me to do. I make at least three or four times the income needed for a few of the apartment options. I have no criminal record and have my own business. I have had some medical issues for a couple of years now and have been staying on top of the bills as best as I could and fell behind when the medical problems took a serious turn. In addition to me paying the brunt of the bills, falling behind was a lot easier than I would have thought without experiencing it firsthand.

I've paid the two medical collections and when I pay the judgement (for a car that I accidentally ran through a very deep puddle and assumed my ins. Co. would not pay for) I would like to know my chances of being able to rent an apartment in a large apartment complex (owned by a mid-sized or large corporation) if my income checks out but I have two paid medical collections and one paid off judgement? Will I be turned down or just have to pay a larger deposit? Is there any hope of me leaving a bad situation and moving forward with my life in a place I truly want?

Last edited by 002015; 04-28-2015 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Adding details about judgement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 05:50 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,459,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 002015 View Post
I like a specific apartment complex because it's secure, the rent is higher than a lot of places in the HR area. Hopefully, that keeps out a fairly large amount of the problem types. It's in a good location for me with several types of security. I'm a single woman seeking a safe and quiet place. I'm currently living with someone that I need to leave for good though. I'm paying more than they are and am getting sucked dry. However, I am afraid to fill out an application because even though my income will allow me to live there, I'm quite afraid that I won't make it past the application process due to having 2 paid medical collections and a judgement that I plan on paying before I apply.

I am in a situation where I cannot wait years for these negative items "fall off" my CR as a relative and someone else has told me to do. I make at least three or four times the income needed for a few of the apartment options. I have no criminal record and have my own business. I have had some medical issues for a couple of years now and have been staying on top of the bills as best as I could and fell behind when the medical problems took a serious turn. In addition to me paying the brunt of the bills, falling behind was a lot easier than I would have thought without experiencing it firsthand.

I've paid the two medical collections and when I pay the judgement (for a car that I accidentally ran through a very deep puddle and assumed my ins. Co. would not pay for) I would like to know my chances of being able to rent an apartment in a large apartment complex (owned by a mid-sized or large corporation) if my income checks out but I have two paid medical collections and one paid off judgement? Will I be turned down or just have to pay a larger deposit? Is there any hope of me leaving a bad situation and moving forward with my life in a place I truly want?
In Hampton Roads you are going to get some knuckleheads in the neighborhood regardless of where you live. A lot of the nicer areas are surrounded by not so nice areas.

If you make 3 or 4 times the amount needed for the apartment you shouldn't have any issues. Plus you've paid those items off. It isn't as though you have over a hundred thousand dollars in student loans or anything, which a lot of us have (at least I do). At least you've paid your bills. I'd stick my neck out there and see what happens; worse case you already have a place you can continue to rent.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:51 PM

184 posts, read 245,279 times
Working with rental clients, we have found that some management companies will ignore judgments with a strong rental history. Some will ignore medical judgments and some will not accept applications with any outstanding judgments. Sorry, but it seems to be owner/management company specific.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:00 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
It's my understanding that to get your credit score up..one needs to use credit and pay it of or handle it responsibly ..FICO should grow expendentially..Get a few credit cards, use and always pay off in full ( use their money free for 30 days) and pay NO interest ( They hate that ) They don't make any money on you, LOL. I've been doing that for over 20+ years. Then maybe purchase something over time..make payments onetime and pay off completely before due..voila..more points gained...

It does sound you are quite capable to live within your own means..so why not build your credit rating and ability to obtain loan or mortgage would decrease the interest rate applied..works for myself..mortgage rate get decrease by over 2 percent...don't have any other loans outstanding..

Good luck..

Old 05-12-2015, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,477 times
I would like to thank everyone for taking their time to help me. I had to start a second side business to get the cash to get some things done. I'm moving forward with the crapshoot of attempting to find out which apartment complexes are going to be okay with paid baddies and which ones aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: