Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 05:15 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times

Advertisements

My Wife and I have been researching North Carolina as a place to retire in about 7 years (maybe earlier), and may also consider Virginia Beach. We are looking toward the coastal areas, as my Wife is a beach person, and loves the Ocean. The problem that I've been hearing (for us) is the humidity and bugs during the summer months, so I figured maybe go a little bit more North. What can you tell me about the seasons in Virginia Beach....temps during each period, snow fall, and humidity. We are coming from the Northeast (Ct), so a little snow is okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 09:47 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
My Wife and I have been researching North Carolina as a place to retire in about 7 years (maybe earlier), and may also consider Virginia Beach. We are looking toward the coastal areas, as my Wife is a beach person, and loves the Ocean.
We also considered the Hampton Roads area for retirement. The problem for us was that the property taxes were almost as high as they are in Maryland, so we would get no savings. Poquoson was the only area city that had tolerable property taxes.

We are generally happy with North Carolina, although the bugs and summer humidity are hard to take. I am not sure Virginia Beach is significantly better in that respect. However, the City of VB does take mosquito control measures and they will treat your yard, as they say here: http://www.vbgov.com/services/servic...o-control.aspx

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-12-2015 at 10:40 AM..

Old 08-12-2015, 01:41 PM

979 posts, read 1,776,057 times
I grew up in CT I haven't lived in North Carolina, but the humidity and bugs in VB are pretty brutal. The city says they will treat your yard, but I've had friends call about it, and they are told the city is so overwhelmed with requests that they are many weeks out in scheduling treatments. They supposedly spray, but I can tell you my poor boys' legs are covered with red spots from just the hour or so we go outside to play after dinner.

We actually might call a pest service soon to come help us out with spiders around our house. Without a longer, colder winter, lots more creepy crawlies survive. Our house is on a crawl space (no basements here), and I think that contributes to our bug issues. I have seen quite a few silverfish and house centipedes in addition to the spiders that have commandeered our front door, outdoor light fixtures, and windows.

Personally, I wouldn't retire here. There are certainly some nice spots, but it's predominantly military and tourists (in the summer). I would want to go somewhere more relaxed. But I have a long way to go before I can even think about retirement!

Old 08-12-2015, 03:42 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I've lived in CT but now live in MA and will be retiring to Chesapeake VA one of these days. I do not like the area, to be honest, but I do have family who moved there years ago.

I thought I would die of the heat and humidity when I visited in the summer. In the winter it was great though. I spent the month of January there and it was sort of like April in CT. There were a few flowers growing and it was cool but once in a while it got up to 70. In Feb. they got a couple of inches of snow, which shuts everything down. For me, I would like to see the snow and would not mind staying off the roads--after all, here in the north, we're cooped up most of the winter.

Chesapeake does spray for mosquitoes.

My main problem seems to be the highways that are everywhere instead of ordinary roads, and the horrible traffic. It may be overwhelming just to get to a grocery store with the heavy traffic. Another issue is that there are no restaurants except fast food and chains. I've found a few genuine places to eat but they are all inconvenient to get to and about three times the cost of anything comparable around here.

Chesapeake does seem to have activities for seniors if you go on their city's homepage. The best beaches would probably be the Outer Banks, I think, for someone in Chesapeake. Beaches in VA Beach are crammed with hotels and restricted access. Sandbridge is one area in VA Beach where people can apparently live on the beach but from what I hear it's pricey and gets damaged by hurricanes.

That's my impression. I do not live there--yet.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:44 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
I always suggest retirees look at places where they can remain independent- good transportation, and walkable.

Now, that wouldn't be Virginia Beach by a long shot.

Others have already chimed in about the weather, so I'll save my typing, but what I would suggest if looking into becoming a snowbird. If you're retired, why not get great all the time? There are areas of Florida that are extremely cheap, and compared to CT you'll get glorious winters no matter where you go in the state.

In the summer, head north!

Personally it makes no sense to me to spend $250,000 or $300,000 on one house in an area you'll be miserable in for various reasons throughout the year when you get split it between two places and thoroughly enjoy the entire year.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:04 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
Unless you are retired military, retiring in a military area is not a smart idea...so that takes pretty much all of south east Virginia out of play

Old 08-13-2015, 01:47 AM

60 posts, read 123,638 times
Also, depending on where you go, There IS jet noise. Which may be problematic. Also, depends on how much $$$ you have.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:20 AM

795 posts, read 1,009,450 times
beer belly ,

This HR forum always tends to be very negative on this kind of subject. With some regulars that are obsessed with giving continuous negative comments.

I think most of the negativity comes from people that were: forced to be here (military), don't or did not have the resources to enjoy living here (job market, military etc...) or for some other reason come here for (personal, family).

I suggest you post your questions on the Retirement and Weather forums to get more (real) accurate information.

I'm retired here. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:40 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
beer belly ,

This HR forum always tends to be very negative on this kind of subject. With some regulars that are obsessed with giving continuous negative comments.

I think most of the negativity comes from people that were: forced to be here (military), don't or did not have the resources to enjoy living here (job market, military etc...) or for some other reason come here for (personal, family).

I suggest you post your questions on the Retirement and Weather forums to get more (real) accurate information.

I'm retired here. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Thanks for being reasonable and rational lovnova!

Old 08-13-2015, 09:19 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
I love the area but I have to say snow is not a friend. The whole area SHUTS DOWN for a week with just a little snow. We, as an area, are not equipped to deal with snow. Most years we don't get any but the past few years we have been getting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area