Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 08:42 AM

8 posts, read 14,828 times

Advertisements

We are New Yorkers who know nothing about the Virginia area, so any knowledgeable insight would be greatly appreciated! So, here's our story and what we would like to know... My husband is a union carpenter in Manhattan, and I was working in the medical insurance field, but left to stay home with the kids when our second was born. Our children are one and three years old . We currently live in a suburban area about an hour and a half north of the city. The cost of living is astronomical here, especially with only one income and two young children. Also, my husband commute is very hectic, long, and stressful. It takes him 2 hours, with a one hour drive to the Bronx, then subways and walking. It's really hard on him, on top of the hard labor he does all day at work. The extra 4 hours just to commute kills him, but we can't afford anything closer to the city. We have been contemplating moving down south for a while now. We want a better quality of life, A lower cost of living, and a better community to raise our children. We are conservative Christians, and would like to be in a community more in line with our values. I did some research and found an affiliated carpenters union in Northfolk that my husband would be able to transfer to (the union has amazing benefits, so we're looking to relocate somewhere where he can stay in). I called the union rep, and he said the majority of work is in Northfolk and Richmond, so we should consider a half way point, like Williamsburg. From what I've researched about Williamsburg, it seems like the perfect place for us. My only concern is if it's affordable enough for us. We currently rent, but were lucky to find a three bedroom apartment for the price that we pay. I was looking at some rentals in Williamsburg, and the rent seems high for the pay cut my husband would be taking (he makes double in New York). We are also considering buying a small house or condo, in the 100-150 range, as it seems like a mortgage payment in that price range would be cheaper than rent. Only problem is my husband doesn't have good credit, though I do but don't have an income of my own, so I'm not sure if we would get approved for a mortgage? I see there are some more affordable areas outside of Williamsburg, but they seem to be shadier neighborhoods? If anyone has some ideas as to where we could look in our situation, I would Really appreciated it! We get more set up with New York living every day, and would be looking to move in June , when our current lease is up. We plan on taking a trip in late September or October to visit the area. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 06:38 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,815 times

All kidding aside, good on you for getting out of the urban rat race.

You're going to find rents to be very high in the area(relative to wages, although nothing near NYC), and it's always best to buy if you can afford it. There are a few reasons for it, with the main one being the large amount of military members in the area. There are plenty of condos for sale in the 150k range in Williamsburg and the surrounding areas.

I would advocate against Williamsburg unless your job is specifically IN Williamsburg. It is a little pricey for what it is, requires a commute to most jobs, and there can be quite a few traffic issues in the summer due to the tourists.

I would suggest heading a bit further south to York County or Newport News, or even Norfolk itself if that is where your husband will be working.

As far as "shady neighborhoods", be very careful in Newport News or the north side of York County on the Newport News line(Lackey). Some parts of Newport News can be very dangerous(east of Mercury Blvd, some parts of the north in Denbigh). Kiln Creek has some nice condos that are in your price range but be sure to check HOA fees. Here's an example of one in a really nice area:

506, Arabian Cir Yorktown, VA 23693 | Hubzu

Even has the "highly desired" Tabb schools. That does not mean they are great schools. Schools in the Hampton Roads area are far from stellar(or even par). I moved here from Plattsburgh, NY when I was 11 and was 2 grades ahead of my classmates, even in York County/Tabb schools.

As far as work, your husband should have no issues. There is a plenty of work for carpenters/trades. If most of his work is going to be in Norfolk though, I'd highly recommend living on that side of the bridge(southside). The HRBT can be an absolute pain in the arse during commuting hours.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:41 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,329,175 times
Williamsburg is a very nice area.

Based off what you value, you would probably very much enjoy the lifestyle in this area.

With that said, you're going to give up (like you've already noticed) things like higher pay, but not much lower living expenses. Also, this is not a very pro-union state, and the clout here is far less than up north

However, I do wonder why you don't look at other areas closer to where he works. I know you said you can't afford them, but there are plenty of options in NJ that I'm sure you could afford and have be less than a 2 hour commute.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:19 PM

633 posts, read 1,013,356 times
I would rule out Williamsburg from the start. Too expensive and it is packed with retirees. Not where I would recommend for a young family.

Suggest that you look to live in Norfolk - you can find some good areas there with help from a realtor. I have friends from NY who live in Norfolk, and they have adjusted nicely. Lots of churches in Richmond and in Norfolk... bible belt area! You need some time to drive around and really check out the areas.

If you are in the medical field, there are lots of options for you Richmond or in Norfolk (from what I know, I currently live near Richmond). You mentioned buying a house right off - maybe rent for a year or two and learn which area is best for commuting and also for the kids before committing to a house.

Be prepared for a culture shock. These areas in Virginia (Richmond and Norfolk) are nothing like NY.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:39 PM

Wow, great info everyone, thank you! We def have a lot to consider. Will for sure have to talk with a realtor and visit the area to get a more distinct idea of what exact area/neighborhood we want to be in. The school district we would be in is also a big factor. We want to be in the best in the area, if possible. As far as nj, I have a lot of family there, and we just don't really like the area, at least the ones we've been to. And the commute would still be ridiculous with the traffic, and the cost of living anywhere near the city, even jersey, is high. Those are all the things we're looking to get away from! And we just want to get away from it all, we embrace the culture shock It's definitely going to be hard picking the perfect area (affordable, safe, good schools, good community) with no personal knowledge!

Old 08-22-2016, 09:17 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,605,078 times
FYI: Don't move to Norfolk if you'll be using public schools.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:30 PM

I'm getting the impression Virginia beach and Chesapeake have good school districts? Are they better than Williamsburg?

Old 08-22-2016, 10:28 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Np912 View Post
I'm getting the impression Virginia beach and Chesapeake have good school districts? Are they better than Williamsburg?
Yes. And yes. For being as rich as it is, Williamsburg has surprisingly bad public schools.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:32 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,605,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Np912 View Post
All of the HS in VAB are nationally ranked. If I were you I'd find out where your husband will be working. You do not want to drive from the south side to Richmond. From your OP I thought you were saying he could be in Norfolk some days and Richmond others. To be honest that's really a huge work area and I doubt it's much better than where you're at now, for him.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:48 AM

Wow, that is interesting. I think I will look more into vab. Is Chesapeake a good and affordable area? The understanding I got from the union rep, is that the majority of work is in Norfolk, but at times he may have to go to jobs in Richmond. Is there a lot of traffic in the vab/Norfolk area? Or if he had to commute to Richmond from that area, is there a lot of traffic? I think we would be OK in the vab or Chesapeake area if he only had to commute to Richmond every so often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area