Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:54 PM

407 posts, read 829,122 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, So my girlfriend and I have been living in southwest Florida for the past few years to attend college. We are both originally from New York and miss the four seasons, great schools, and living close to cities/suburban areas. What we don't like about Southwest Florida is the high influx of tourism and the seasonal snowbirds which double the population of where we currently live. Its fine while we are young, but now that we will be getting ready to settle down somewhere and begin a family, it would be nice to live in an area where it be much more family friendly.

We are looking for an area with the suburban feel, but wouldn't mind settling in an wooded area as long as shopping, universities, and attractions are close by. Definitely looking for a place near the water. We are boaters and love the beach (how is boating on the Chesapeake?). And most importantly, it has to be family friendly, highly rated schools (my girlfriend and I are both teachers), and must be safe.

We have been looking at the Hampton Roads, Gloucester Point, Williamsburg, Chesapeake areas. Can anyone gives us any insight on these areas? or similar areas in the state? I have been to Williamsburg and Newport News before. I loved what I saw at the time.

Any feedback is appreciated, thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 03:37 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,493 times
If "tourists" and "snowbirds" are your reasons for leaving, you're going to be walking into MUCH bigger problems in Hampton Roads. Tourism drives a lot of Virginia Beach and Williamsburg. During the summer months, both places are packed to the gills with tourists.

The house prices are high relative to the incomes. There's not a lot of opportunity. Traffic is a nightmare due to all the bridges and tunnels.

University offerings are sparse unless you're top tier. William&Mary is one of the best schools in the country but it is also incredibly selective. CNU has become quite selective as well. ODU is also an option, but it does not have a great reputation.

There are places much better in the US to move if you're looking to dodge tourists and want access to the water.

I would look elsewhere.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times
Where are you exactly in SW FL? I would just look slightly north to Tampa/St. Pete. You'll have easier times landing jobs, and the move will be much easier.

As for the comment about tourists and snowbirds, it's laughable to say Hampton Roads has either in comparison to Florida, especially SW FL.

If you're set on leaving FL, and can give up the water (though don't rule out lakes!) you might consider Atlanta instead. All the luxuries of a large city, but you can still get out to the suburbs. Hampton Roads has no big city luxuries, and the water is very brown and polluted, especially the rivers.

Regardless, the most important part of your hunt will be jobs. Visit the area first (no, not to do touristy things. Pick out the areas you'd think you'd like to live, then stay in a hotel close to it. As you're well aware from FL, being a tourist vs. resident is vastly different) see if you like it, then look for jobs, then if both are a "go," close the deal.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:01 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,138 times
So I guess no one else read that they are both teachers, which is a relatively stable profession in Hampton Roads. While they will not be rich in Hampton Roads (not unlike any other area), they should have enough to live comfortably and buy a moderately priced home. It is also a very family friendly area. I would check to see about certification that might be different in your area than Virginia. I believe VA is pretty strict even when it comes to teachers with licensures in a different state.

I would say your best bet is to teach in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake on the southside. I am not sure about the boating question as I don't really boat, but I do canoe around here and am usually able to find some good places for it. I assume there is a healthy boating community, too. I bet Williamsburg would be a lot of fun as well.

As far as ODU, my husband is finishing his degree in biology before hopefully attending EVMS next year. He hasn't had any complaints on the offerings or the instructors.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:07 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,021,199 times
I spent many years living in Virginia Beach but SW Florida was a popular winter destination for myself and my family mainly around the Naples area to be exact so I know both locations well.

Unfortunately if you are trying to escape the tourist trade and what it brings Hampton Roads is not the place for you. Oh sure there are huge differences between the two locations. The Naples area is known to be a winter destination mainly for those in the top 1% economic speaking and many of those visitors are more in that senior citizen/retired age group that spend 4-6 months at a time there. The Hampton Roads area is a summer destination that caters more to the middle class type families that come for a 5-7 day style vacation. But what you will find the same is both areas rely on the all mighty tourist dollar heavily during tourist season and the local governments tend to treat the local residents like second hand citizens in both locations.

Now I agree the tourist trade can be a pain but actually that is nothing compared to what should make to stay as far away as possible from the Hampton Roads area and thst is its large military presence. It completely controls the area 365 days a year and the area is totally dependent on it. The only good thing about the large military presence is that it does help stabilize the local economy but there are many bad things about the large military presence. One is that it keeps the local pay scale much lower then other like areas across the country. So you will find the pay scale low and at the same time you will find that the housing market is high because of the housing allowance provided by the military.

Add to that the state income tax in VA that you don't have in Florida along with personal property taxes on all vehicles, (cars, boats, rvs etc) and normally much higher real estate taxes etc. Well I think you are starting to get the picture. If Hampton Roads is your destination of choice I hope your starting income is much higher in Hampton Roads then what it is in SW Florida or you are losing money big time.

Now does Hampton Roads offer anything, sure it's not a bad place to live as long as you understand how the region operates. For most people it's a love or hate type location. Again being a large military area military families are constantly either being transfered to or from the area. Unfortunately that means you have many families that just looks at Hampton Roads as just a temporary place to live, work, go to school etc until the next transfer papers arrive and they go elsewhere so you don't get that home town pride like you see in non military locations. So if you are looking for that dont waste your time looking at Hampton Roads as a future place to possibly live.

Last edited by rtandc; 03-22-2016 at 10:19 AM..

Old 03-22-2016, 02:41 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
So I guess no one else read that they are both teachers, which is a relatively stable profession in Hampton Roads. While they will not be rich in Hampton Roads (not unlike any other area), they should have enough to live comfortably and buy a moderately priced home. It is also a very family friendly area. I would check to see about certification that might be different in your area than Virginia. I believe VA is pretty strict even when it comes to teachers with licensures in a different state.

I would say your best bet is to teach in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake on the southside. I am not sure about the boating question as I don't really boat, but I do canoe around here and am usually able to find some good places for it. I assume there is a healthy boating community, too. I bet Williamsburg would be a lot of fun as well.

As far as ODU, my husband is finishing his degree in biology before hopefully attending EVMS next year. He hasn't had any complaints on the offerings or the instructors.
I can't speak for the southside but I know that teaching positions are difficult to get on the peninsula. Williamsburg is even harder.

I went to W&M, graduated with a 3.5 GPA, and still couldn't get a job teaching(and in math no less!). There's just not many positions available. Teachers in these school districts tend to stick around a long time.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:48 PM

407 posts, read 829,122 times
Thank you everyone for your input!

Honestly, I love Florida! I do miss the seasons, but wouldn't leave everything that I have established here just because of that. To me, thats minor. And I understand that many places (especially those on the coast) will have their tourist seasons. My thing with SW Fla is I hate how many of the tourist purchase property and leave it unoccupied for half the year. The condo community I lived in, in Fort Myers was empty during the summer months. It was little depressing at time to see the city turn into a ghost town. Leasts thats my personal feelings. I just felt now that I'm settling down, I'd like to find a more "family friendly" area where I could settle along year round residents (if you are familiar with SW Florida you would understand what I mean).

Virginia is one of a couple areas I would consider. My girlfriend really loves seasons and and know she'd love to leave Florida. I'd personally would like to try northern areas in Florida.

To hear how difficult it is to get a teaching position is good to know! Thank you for that information. What are the starting salaries like in this area for teachers? Benefits included?

Thank you again everyone!

Old 03-26-2016, 10:38 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
Thank you everyone for your input!

Honestly, I love Florida! I do miss the seasons, but wouldn't leave everything that I have established here just because of that. To me, thats minor. And I understand that many places (especially those on the coast) will have their tourist seasons. My thing with SW Fla is I hate how many of the tourist purchase property and leave it unoccupied for half the year. The condo community I lived in, in Fort Myers was empty during the summer months. It was little depressing at time to see the city turn into a ghost town. Leasts thats my personal feelings. I just felt now that I'm settling down, I'd like to find a more "family friendly" area where I could settle along year round residents (if you are familiar with SW Florida you would understand what I mean).

Virginia is one of a couple areas I would consider. My girlfriend really loves seasons and and know she'd love to leave Florida. I'd personally would like to try northern areas in Florida.

To hear how difficult it is to get a teaching position is good to know! Thank you for that information. What are the starting salaries like in this area for teachers? Benefits included?

Thank you again everyone!
Honestly, most people that live in FL don't leave, or if they do, regret it very shortly after they leave.

Moving to VA will give you the same miserable summers as FL, but will also give you terrible winters as well. Snow and ice? No, not much, but what makes it miserable is that it's too cold to go out and do anything, but too warm to enjoy the snow and associated activities.

I completely understand your issue with the snowbird population. SW FL is unfortunately ground zero for it. As mentioned, look slightly north towards Tampa, or even head east towards Miami.

The "family friendly" attitude in the Hampton Roads area is superficial. You'll find just as much "family friendliness" where you are now.

Best of luck with your decisions, and please do keep us posted with what you do.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:55 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,223,427 times
Rtandc, that's one of the best posts I've read that summarizes the Hampton Roads area.

If you land a good paying job here, it's a much nicer place to live. I know that's true of everywhere, but given the low pay scale here and the high cost of living, it's even more true here. To come here with no job in hand, as many posters on this forum say is their plan, is foolhardy.

JazzmanLI, I realize that is NOT your plan. Good luck in your search and your move if one happens!

Old 03-27-2016, 11:35 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,138 times
Honestly, I don't know if it is as difficult to get a teaching position in the Southside as I haven't known of anyone who couldn't get in. I have known someone who did a year at Granby High in Norfolk Public Schools before transferring to First Colonial in VB, but am not sure if it was because they couldn't get a spot in VB initially. I would say apply and see what happens before assuming it's difficult everywhere in Hampton Roads, especially if you like Chesapeake/VB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area