Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,314 times

Advertisements

We just offered $360 for a house that was asking $450. It was a find it-fix it-flip it house that had been purchased for $300K in Nov 2007 with about $30K worth of work done. They came back with $440 and when we tried to counter they said they were unwilling to negotiate further. Not what I expected in this market, but oh well, on to the next property.

Sheldonteam, I'm curious about your comment (seems [SIZE=3]uncharacteristically pessimistic/realistic for a realtor which is great![/SIZE]). I'm told that the market in Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Chesapeake, for example, had double digit gains in 2004, 2005, and 2006, as high as the low 20% range per year in some cases and even 2007 was at least slightly positive. (Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight) If you compound that appreciation, it seems inconcievable that someone who bought in 2004 could own a home worth less than they paid for it. That would imply that the market had gone down over 35% from its peak, but the numbers don't show a single down quarter. As a buyer I'd lover for this to be true, but as my earlier comments alluded to I haven't experienced it first hand yet. Can you expand on your comments a little or shoot some holes in my logic? I'm obviously concerned about overpaying and am doing my best to discern the discount between list prices and the prices actually paid in completed sales. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 06:53 AM

62 posts, read 233,918 times
cgcg, what we discovered after negotiating on a couple of houses, is that they remain on the market for longer, but prices don't change much. The first house the sellers went down 3%, the second... and hopefully the last, down 4%. The first had been on the market for a year. The second had been on the market for a month by owner, and a day with an agent. That agent got lucky!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 AM

82 posts, read 300,565 times
CGCC your Realtor should be giving you guidance in your price offers. Every neighborhood is different. A lot of buyers in 2003-2005 period saw there homes experience 30-100% gains. then they took out equity lines of credit. etc and now they owe more than it is worth. Many homes in Hampton roads are selling for 30% less than they were in 2005. I will give you a rough example of a Norfolk waterfront community. prices in 2003 200-225, 2004 325-400,2005 425-500,2006 525-600,2007 450-475 ,2008 399-425. The persom who bought in 2003 can still possibly double there money , the person who bought in 2006 is seeing a 30% decrease in value. As long as you do not have to sell , this community will come back . But every community is different. As for your offer , If the seller just bought it in Nov and fixed it up , it probably has not been on the market very long, and they probably bought it to flip it. so if other homes in the neighborhood are selling in that price range they are not apt to take a low offer. You are hopefully working with a professional, if not the appraisal on the home should offer you some protection to not overpay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area