Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:18 PM

5 posts, read 5,149 times

Advertisements

https://www.change.org/p/portsmouth-..._starters_page

I really think we should just leave history alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 06:34 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
I can understand relegating the confederate statue to a museum but replacing it with the proposed statue... are they series?

Old 08-23-2017, 10:14 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
This would make race relations even worse. It's one thing to remove something like a Confederate statue but to put up a statue honoring a black person (or any non white person) seems like it's trying to throw it back in white peoples face.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:52 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,826 times
Missy is not "all of us." I agree Statz2k10, much of the rhetoric about the removal of Confederate statues is about throwing it back in white peoples' faces.

I have moved from Hampton Roads to the Roanoke area. This op-ed ran in the local paper:
Lambert: We're still punishing the South | Opinion | roanoke.com
Fort Monroe is referenced in this piece.

Slavery was wrong. But had slavery not occurred, many (perhaps most) of the African Americans in the U.S. would have been born in Africa. I was surprised when a friend said she was glad her ancestors had been slaves because otherwise she would have been born in Africa.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:09 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I think the Confederate statues belong in museums and not on publix display. If Portsmouth is going to replace it with a music star, NOTE I'm not that serious, it should be Timbaland and Pharrell since they are in my opinion two of the greatest producers in music history whose body of work far outdoes Missy, who isn't exactly a scrub when it comes to musical accomplishment.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:09 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think the Confederate statues belong in museums and not on publix display. If Portsmouth is going to replace it with a music star, NOTE I'm not that serious, it should be Timbaland and Pharrell since they are in my opinion two of the greatest producers in music history whose body of work far outdoes Missy, who isn't exactly a scrub when it comes to musical accomplishment.
But shouldn't it be someone from P-town? A quick Google search turns up Ruth Brown who is sometimes known as the queen of R&B.

Timbaland is from Norfolk and Pharrell is from VA Beach.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:15 AM

797 posts, read 1,431,087 times
@TN Lily that's ashame that your friend feels that way because Africa is more than what we see on TV and I advise your friend to learn more about Mother African and her heritage before shaming it.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:53 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
They should leave the statues up. Here in South Carolina, we have a legislative ACT that prevents any monument from being taken down. History is history it's passed. We need to look to the future, learn from past mistakes, one day at a time.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:21 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,165 times
Place the statue in the museum but don't replace it with Missy Elliott. WTF? I hope that petition is a joke.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:26 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
They should leave the statues up. Here in South Carolina, we have a legislative ACT that prevents any monument from being taken down. History is history it's passed. We need to look to the future, learn from past mistakes, one day at a time.
Most of those statues were put up decades after the civil war. It has nothing to do with history. A confederate statue was put up in Montana... IN 2013... if you think that has something to do with history, you are very confused. Stop worshiping traitors and slavers. If you want to see history, go read a book or go to a museum. They don't deserve to be exalted in bronze in public streets and public parks that ALL people of ALL color pay taxes to maintain.

It's not about erasing history. Trust me, as a person of color, I hope the names of all those traitors continue to live on in infamy for eternity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area