Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:44 AM

3 posts, read 23,179 times

Advertisements

Im sorry if someone has already asked a similar question to this.

were relocating from England,UK to VA in June of this year hubby is going to be based at Langley AFB, and we was thinking of moving into base housing York county, does anyone know what the military housing is like there??? whats the area like? I was told theres alot of trouble in that area with crime is this true?? would appreciate ur help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 03:43 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife-300606 View Post
Im sorry if someone has already asked a similar question to this.

were relocating from England,UK to VA in June of this year hubby is going to be based at Langley AFB, and we was thinking of moving into base housing York county, does anyone know what the military housing is like there??? whats the area like? I was told theres alot of trouble in that area with crime is this true?? would appreciate ur help
I used to live down the street from the base housing in YC. The "crime trouble" that is talked is probably referring to Hampton and Hampton Roads. Living in Hampton/York Co for awhile, most of Hampton's crime is south of Mercury Blvd, nowhere near the military housing complex. The area of military housing in York County is called Bethel Manor. Bethel Manor is a great area that is surrounded by the more preferred area of Hampton and rural/suburban York CO. Bethel Manor is zoned for York County Public Schools, which in my view, is the best school system in Hampton Roads. So if you can get into the Bethel Manor housing GET INTO IT!!!!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:06 AM

254 posts, read 1,207,284 times
I agree to Bethel Manor being best. I live in Coventry area nearby and use the tax-free shoppette for my quick beverage purchases. I'm not sure what the inside of the houses are like but area is very central and within 15 to 20 minutes from the air base.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:31 AM

798 posts, read 2,727,445 times
I would consider contacting the base housing office and checking on availability of both the on and off base housing. I am not sure if you saw my response to your original post but I believe they were beginning the privatization process around the time I moved last summer so that may have an impact on what is available. I think whether or not you have school aged children and how old they are will impact your thoughts on the base housing options as well. The off base Bethel Manor housing attends York County schools which are very highly rated. The on base housing is zoned for Hampton schools and depending on the year groups, may be an issue for you if you have kids. If kids are not an issue, most folks I know where much happier in the on base units then the Bethel units.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:11 AM

67 posts, read 229,387 times
York County has the best public schools in the area. Bethel Manor housing is kind of run down, but the location is wonderful.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 15,772 times
Is Bethel Manor really all that bad looking? We have seen one picture of it and while it looks ok to me, hubbie thinks it looks too " run-down ".. i really want us to live in Bethel Manor.. i need some honest opinions Pics would be great too, if you know of a website other than the Langley Family Housing one

Thanx

Old 02-21-2009, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 11,293 times
Cool Same questions?

I would love to know more info about bethel manor also and the other options in the area? I will have a girls starting elementarty school and I want the area I pick to be safe and have good school, and a nice clean lace to live would be great too! any help would rock!

Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 15,772 times
We just moved in 2 weeks ago to Bethel Manor and could'nt be happier! The elementary school is right out side the back gate and is exclusive to Bethel Manor residents. There are only 2 gates to get into housing and both are manned by security forces. The back gate is only open a short time in the morning and afternoon, just to deal with the kiddos going to school and going home. There are crossing guards at every street , since the kids either ride their bikes or walk, or of course can be dropped off by the parents. Bethel Manor Elementary and Tabb and Grafton Middle Schools are all in York County and Bethel Manor is zoned for either Tabb or Grafton Middle Schools and York County is one of the best school districts. This area is very expensive to live in, so living in Bethel Manor makes sense since it functions like regular base housing. Your BAH covers renters insurance - Bethel Manor priovides it - your rent, water, electricity and garbage. Most of the townhomes were built in the 60's and i won't lie, they are dated, but we are very happy here There is a shoppette right up the street from us and a great little shopping center right outside the gate with a Food Lion, video store, chinese food, Subway, nail salon, pizza and Thai food. Also, Bethel Manor is within 15 minutes of a lot more things. The base is technically 6 miles away and it takes about 15 minutes with traffic. Feel free to email me with any other questions kathrynszymczak@aol.com Just a note, there is no on base housing at Langley unless you are an officer, Bethel Manor functions as " on base housing " for non-officers. I was also told that there are other branches than just the AF living here.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 7,413 times
I've been here for 3 months (remember this as you read on) and have called maintenance so many times we know each other by name. The others are correct the schools are excellent, the area is very secure and maintenance is friendly and respond quickly.
However, my kitchen has flooded because of corroded pipes. We've found mold in our master shower, our dishwasher was repaired once and finally replaced. We dealt with an assortment of bugs (including roaches). My family has had to leave our home because of power outages, water outages, and gas leaks. These homes are old. I think we might have the oldest in the bunch. I have talked to neighbors and co-workers that have had similar problems. We almost moved, but we love the schools and it is very expensive to live in York County. Good Luck

Old 04-01-2009, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 7,275 times
I've been here for over 4 yrs and It isn't bad. Some of the houses are a little older and that is why they are in the process of building new ones. We do already have new houses that were built in the mid 90's I believe which are nice and some of the older ones have been rennovated (I live in one of these) they are actually bigger as far as sq. ft. and not that bad. The location is great and the schools are the best in this zone. Living off base is extremely expensive and hardly worth it if you want to live in this zone. The area is safe and it is a close knit community. I have great neighbors and have never had a problem. The new management company is pretty good, but you do have to bother them a bit to get anything fixed. I usually have my huusband call and they take care of it faster than if I call. They do most of the yard work so that's nice. There is plenty for you to do here on your down time, and it really is a nice area with the 4 seasons so you can't beat that. Remember a place is also what you make of it. I have had a couple problems, but nothing worth geting upset over. When we first moved here we were in an older house that had piping problems underneath and my neightbors in the unit were having problems so we all ended up having to get moved out (I personally never had any issues, except for the fact that we only lived there 7mo. and had to move). The move was just down the st. so it wasn't bad and nothing was damaged or anything, it was surprisingly smooth. I would definitely recommend living on base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area