Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 02:02 PM

14 posts, read 22,320 times

Advertisements

I have been in VA for a few months now, still have not found employment, i am certified as a cna in my former state, to do any similar work even home care, i have to do the course again and retest, since i have done this type work in assisted living for the past 20 yrs, i have no experience in anythiing other. I have applied all over and just can't seem to find anywhere will they will train, I am getting so frustrated, would consider another field if i can be trained??? any ideas? also was wondering if anyone knows of support groups for divorced or even peolpe new to the area?? Suffolk or Chesapeake i would certainly appreciate help with either things. thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 02:31 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,463,396 times
Tidewater Community College has many medical fields. Ever think about going back to school?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 PM

17 posts, read 61,884 times
I can't offer any job search advice, but if you're looking for support groups- or just to make friends- check out meetup.com. I made some great friends that way and definitely recommend it!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:11 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,207,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary2009 View Post
I have been in VA for a few months now, still have not found employment, i am certified as a cna in my former state, to do any similar work even home care, i have to do the course again and retest, since i have done this type work in assisted living for the past 20 yrs, i have no experience in anythiing other. I have applied all over and just can't seem to find anywhere will they will train, I am getting so frustrated, would consider another field if i can be trained??? any ideas? also was wondering if anyone knows of support groups for divorced or even peolpe new to the area?? Suffolk or Chesapeake i would certainly appreciate help with either things. thank you so much

The only section in the classifieds that has more then 3 jobs listed and isnt restaurant or retail is medical. You are actually sitting in one of the more employable fields, so Im not sure what to tell you.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:36 PM

63 posts, read 184,495 times
Quote:
While the job market is better here than in most other parts of the country right now, employers are being inundated with resumes in all fields (even in medical). You're not going to find many employers willing to train and as result of that, many people in South Hampton Roads are having to rely on expensive and unscrupulous institutes... like the Art Institute, Centura College, ITT Tech, etc... these are the easiest places for people to get into, but they are run poorly, they prey on people who may have trouble getting traditional school loans or who can't afford to wait 4 years for a Bachelors degree. Also, once graduated from these schools it is hard to get a job... your chances are not much better than the average job applicant next to you.

My advice is to make sure you have an excellent resume, even if you have to pay someone to look at it, and mail it to prospective employers. A walk in drop off of a resume is a good idea too. Everyone is emailing resumes and employers are literally reading the first 20-25 then deleting the rest of them. You should start googling professional medical/nursing message boards in the area so you can start networking. The work is out there, but it may take a while for you to find it.

As for support groups or new to the area groups... lol... good luck with that. I don't know where you are from, but had I seen a posting of yours stating you were moving here, I would have told you to cease and desist! lol Sorry to be such a debby downer, but South Hampton Roads is a military town with rude and prejudicial people in it. You're going to have a tough time finding really nice, down to earth, well rounded people here. I tried going on MeetUp.com and could not find much in the way of positive groups with similar interests as myself that weren't overly clique-ish or boring. Still, I would start with MeetUp.com. Who knows...maybe you'll find what you are looking for. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:05 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,709,152 times
Quote:
From where did you move from? You can find groups at meetup.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area