Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 02:22 PM

7 posts, read 21,237 times

Advertisements

Hello future neighbors,

I'm moving to Norfolk in late June and I'm starting to look more seriously into where I want to live. I'm starting a medical residency at EVMS, and I'm pretty sure I want to live in Ghent due to proximity to EVMS and walkability. I've been looking into apartment buildings in the area, and from what I can tell Ghent Village Apartments seems like the best bet...but I was wondering if anyone had any insight into either other apartment options in the area, or possibly even suggestions for another area that might be better suited for me.

I'm 28, male, and single (and from what I read about Norfolk on here, I may be destined to stay that way for at least the next 4 years...). I've lived most of my life in Miami, and this past year I've been in DC for my intern year.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 10:37 PM

270 posts, read 488,115 times
You definitely want to stay in Ghent. I know some people that went to EVMS and lived in Va beach but I think it's a pain when you have those crazy med school hours. Plus, you're single and you'll stay single if you're not in the mix. I lived in Ghent for years and had a blast (just moved to va beach a few months ago and am missing downtown!) Ghent Village is nice, the Hague is nice, and there's a bunch of great places around Colley Ave. These will be within walking distance of the school as well as a lot of restaurants and bars. Good luck and have fun!

Old 03-19-2010, 06:42 AM

92 posts, read 291,223 times
There should be lots of options for you..Keep an eye on Craigs List..Just put 'Ghent' in the search function...

Just Painted /Corner Unit Lots Of Light (http://norfolk.craigslist.org/apa/1651000826.html - broken link)

HTH!!!

Wendy

Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 AM

134 posts, read 544,979 times
Cavalier owns a few buildings and you can see what is available online.

Cavalier Land, Inc.

All of Ghent is pretty nice in my opinion. Just stay south of 22nd St and West of Monticello. Also Hampton Blvd is a very busy and loud throughfare so keep that in mind if you see something available with that address.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:52 AM

137 posts, read 203,655 times
Hi,

My husband and I will be moving from DC to the area as well and I'm also considering Ghent. My (wishful?) criteria is a good mix of restaurants and bars in walking distance. It'll be tough leaving DC and all of it's ethnic restaurants. Keep us updated on the apartment you find. We may end up being neighbors!

Old 03-19-2010, 11:01 AM

Coming from DC you will be very disappointed with the variety but there are a few walkable areas with a good mix of locally owned restaurants.

Ghent has the Colley Ave and 21st and 22nd Street areas.

Downtown has a good selection of places along Granby St and some of the side streets (Brooke, Tazwell, College).

Also a short ferry ride from downtown will take you to Old Towne Portsmouth which has about 15 bars and restaurants in a 5-6 block area along High St. Reminds me of King St in Old Town Alexandria but less busy and smaller.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:44 PM

7 posts, read 21,237 times
Hey everyone. Thanks for the responses.

Just one further question...I was talking to one of my co-interns today who actually went to EVMS for med school and she was saying I might be better off living downtown rather than Ghent. She said Ghent was mostly families and students, but that downtown I guess had more single professionals such as myself. Any thoughts on Ghent vs downtown in general?

I think I might visit next weekend and get a feel for things on my own, but I think it's helpful hearing your opinions.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:41 AM

The Downtown nightlife scene is pretty slow Sunday-Thursday in my opinion. Ghent is the most densely populated area in all of Hampton Roads so there are always people doing something...

The other thing to consider is that both districts are next to each other so its really only a walk or bike ride away. Parking is typically easy to find as well.

Good luck.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:26 PM

9 posts, read 49,901 times
Ghent is nice, but one potential problem is the flooding anytime a Nor'Easter, or just heavy rains hit the area. I work near Ghent (but don't live there). Ask anyone who lives on Onley Street how they liked November Nor'Easter '09. The downside of the neighborhood's location near the Hague & Elizabeth Rivers. That being said, I do love working in walking distance of a lot of great eateries and shops. The neighborhood has a great, progressive vibe.

Last edited by VaDogwood; 03-21-2010 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area