Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 06:04 PM

97 posts, read 199,596 times

Advertisements

Hi..how is the winter time up there? lots of snow? or just dry cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 07:06 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,803,074 times
The Harrisburg area can receive big dumps of snow from nor'easter storms but rarely is there snow on the ground for longer than a week at a time. Last winter there was XC skiable snow for a month here and a good bit more overall than there was at our cabin in Tioga County, PA but that was a greater than 10-year anomaly. We are sheltered by higher hills/mountains to the west from the lake effect, and rarely get much out of "clipper" systems. Cold rain is not uncommon and certainly there are ice storms as well - those could be more common than the big snow dumps. (I should say that I grew up near Syracuse so my idea of a "big snow dump" is when I need to run the 2-stage snowblower more than once. )

Old 10-21-2010, 07:30 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,926,149 times
For the most part, just cold with scattered rain / snow. These are my pictures from one of the biggest snowstorms we've had in YEARS:

Picasa Web Albums - floor9.com - Snowpocalypse...

Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 PM

97 posts, read 199,596 times
Very nice pictures.I better stay down here in georgia.I was thinking about moving up there, because of a job.But that white stuff looks good only in pictures.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:17 PM

29 posts, read 105,998 times
I've lived in central Pennsylvania since 1989. Three years out of five, there is no snowfall that requires a shovel -- less than an inch at a time. For the other two years out of five, one year usually has significant snowfall and the other has some smaller amount of measurable snow and/or ice. The ice storms are much harder to deal with, in my opinion.

The biggest problem with a major snowfall out here is that a storm has to track just right, from South to North inland from the Gulf of Mexico, travelling over the DC area. For some reason, our local weather experts never predict a big storm until it is about a day away, leaving employers, schools, businesses, citizens and public workers less prepared than they should be.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:28 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,926,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asena View Post
Very nice pictures.I better stay down here in georgia.I was thinking about moving up there, because of a job.But that white stuff looks good only in pictures.
Thanks! LivingMoon and ki0eh have pretty much nailed it, in that our major snowfalls are few and far between. But if you're looking to avoid snow, Pennsylvania definitely isn't going to be one of your top choices.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:09 PM

318 posts, read 871,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingMoon View Post
I've lived in central Pennsylvania since 1989. Three years out of five, there is no snowfall that requires a shovel -- less than an inch at a time. For the other two years out of five, one year usually has significant snowfall and the other has some smaller amount of measurable snow and/or ice. The ice storms are much harder to deal with, in my opinion.
Really?! I had crossed PA off of my list of places to consider because I assumed they just had HORRIBLE winters. Granted I will be moving from the 8th coldest city in the lower 48. I wound up wandering through Harrisburg and loved the place a few days ago, and figured I could just "compromise" on the weather factor.

But this sounds just about perfect if I'm going to live somewhere where there's measurable snow every winter. A huge snow storm every so often just to keep things exciting, LOL, but not everyday snow like what I lived in in Wisconsin where it just got old after a few weeks.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:24 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,561,983 times
What is harder to get used to then the snow, IMHO, is the duration of winter. It's really not bad in December, January or even February but by the end of February, I am ready for Spring and that truly does not appear until April, sometimes even the end of April. Kids do Easter egg hunts in their winter coats. Mind you, I love Pennsylvania and have lived here for 20 years, but fair warning to a Southerner that winter is more then 3 months.

My kids have lived here their whole lives and two out of three don't mind the winters at all. In fact, my youngest recently decided to go to college in upstate Vermont where I believe it's still winter-like.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area