Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,315 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I truly need your assistance. I am considering taking a job closer to Lewistown, but would like to live in Harrisburg. I am interested in the cultural diversity the city has to offer as well as private schools. My child currently attends a Montessori Elementary school, but I can't seem to find one in the area. A Friends school would be my second choice. I found a lovely one in state college. Is that a rediculous commute? Any suggestions? I would also like to live in a downtown highrise, maybe with water views, spending no more than 1400 monthly? Does this exist? Is this a family friendly city? How far is Harrisburg from Pittsburg? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 12:11 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,791,444 times
Lewistown is closer to State College than it is to Harrisburg. Plenty of folks commute the other way over "Seven Mountains" hill on US 322 which can get dicey in winter. The Lewistown area is not everyone's cup of tea, certainly greater liberality and diversity can be found up at State, as oft dicsussed in the general PA forum.

Commuting from Harrisburg to Lewistown would be 2.5 hours (round-trip) that you are out of your child's life every day, although you would generally be bucking traffic.

Harrisburg to Pittsburgh is a four-plus hour drive one way.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,315 times
Thank you for the info. Is State College a diverse city? It appears to simply be a college town.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:12 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,923,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradp View Post
Hello all! I truly need your assistance. I am considering taking a job closer to Lewistown, but would like to live in Harrisburg. I am interested in the cultural diversity the city has to offer as well as private schools. My child currently attends a Montessori Elementary school, but I can't seem to find one in the area. A Friends school would be my second choice. I found a lovely one in state college. Is that a rediculous commute? Any suggestions? I would also like to live in a downtown highrise, maybe with water views, spending no more than 1400 monthly? Does this exist? Is this a family friendly city? How far is Harrisburg from Pittsburg? Thanks for your help!
Lewistown is about a half hour closer to State College than to Harrisburg. Harrisburg to Lewistown isn't unreasonable, but it is a solid 1:15 - 1:30 with traffic. And as ki0eh pointed out, it can be brutal -- although scenic -- in the winter.

As for living in downtown Harrisburg, you will have no problem finding a decent hirise for under $1400. I have a corner penthouse downtown with river, valley, and Interstate views for $850 including all utilities. However, living in Harrisburg and attending school in State College would be an extreme commute. It's about 90 minutes each way, without traffic or weather.

Unfortunately I don't know of any hirises closer to State College or Lewistown.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:32 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
For the middle of Pennsylvania State College is pretty diverse. Here's the scoop on State College Area High School. State College Area High School, State College Pennsylvania / PA School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com You just won't find any high percentage of non-white's outside of the city's in PA.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area