Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Yes, God is calling you to Hawaii for ministry 5 9.09%
No, God is not calling you to Hawaii for ministry 30 54.55%
I'm not sure 2 3.64%
I don't believe in a god 18 32.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:50 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Do you have a family? wife and children? Your first duty is to them, not some "calling" you think God put in your head.

Re-read your marriage vows, your wife comes first, and any kids you've managed to make. this reminds me of some other missionaries, about 10 years ago, in the Philipines. He was in his 30's, married a 19 year old girl with stars in her eyes, somehow he looked good to her. he took his wife and kids off to some remote islands near the Philipines to do missionary work, no regard for what he was dragging his family through. They sent the kids back to live with grandparents, then, somehow, they took a vacation in a nice resort area. First decent place the wife had been in since their marriage. Then, just their good luck to be captured by terrorists. They were held for several months, then her husband was killed and she managed to escape unharmed.

His first duty was to his family, not to a bunch of natives on some far-off island. Same goes for you. If you were single, no responsibilities, etc, then perhaps play missionary for a few years would be ok. But you have limited your options when you took on a family, get over it!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,555 times
Missionaries have a long history of bringing disease and foreign ideals that destroy native peoples. Christians especially have a tendancy of trying to take over a group of people via religion and, if that does not work, then disease and war will finish the trick. Natives do not need the disruption of another religious fanatic gumming up thier beliefs that are older than christianity. And the rest of the people out in Hawaii move out here to get away from all of the people on the mainland who think they are "helping" by disrupting someone elese personal space and lifestyle

Old 02-08-2011, 06:49 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
Yeah, because we Hawaiians are just rife with terrorists waiting to capture Missionaries. The work here would be on par with third world Countries (please just disregard the major City and the world class shopping and International businesses - they are clearly just a front to divert attention away from the filthy, Godless brown people!).

As I have said before we have every major Religion represented here and unless the person is willing to just ease the lives of the homeless then he needn't bother.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:34 PM

33 posts, read 75,940 times
Honestly, this secular forum is the last place you want to go for advice when it comes to your personal relationship with God.

As a christian though, I will give you my advice. If God really wants you in Hawaii, He will provide a way. Maybe not the easiest, most direct path that you would have chosen, but He will get you there if He has a plan for you there.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:53 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,463 times
After commenting on this thread yesterday I just had to come back to ask a question.

What do you think Hawai'i is like? I mean really, in the way of church/religion accessability isn't not unlike any of the other states for the most part. It's not like there is a lack of God availability or knowlege and if they only had it things would be different... What do you view it's like there? What do you think the people are like and what would being there be like for you? What would you do for the islands? We've established the homeless bit, but really the homeless people I've met in Hawai'i are usually more happy than homeless people else where on the mainland (you know, free food, nice weather, a lot of them choosing to be homeless, etc). I can't help but wonder that your view is that of an outdated stereo type of Hawai'i, Hawaiians, etc that is completely unrealistic. So hence I ask so I don't make assumptions.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:03 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
yes, G-d is calling me to be a missionary to Hawaii. Do you even have any Conservative Jewish missionaries? Anyone to spread the word about how its important to follow the Torah, but that pluralism in interpretation, and dignity for gays, is important?

If we get one more ice storm, or more of the kind of wet snow we had a couple of weeks ago, I am pretty sure that would be confirmation from the most High that teaching the people of Hawaii about kashrut and its relationship to spirituality is what He wants from me.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 02-09-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 05:00 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactastica View Post
After commenting on this thread yesterday I just had to come back to ask a question.

What do you think Hawai'i is like? I mean really, in the way of church/religion accessability isn't not unlike any of the other states for the most part. It's not like there is a lack of God availability or knowlege and if they only had it things would be different... What do you view it's like there? What do you think the people are like and what would being there be like for you? What would you do for the islands? We've established the homeless bit, but really the homeless people I've met in Hawai'i are usually more happy than homeless people else where on the mainland (you know, free food, nice weather, a lot of them choosing to be homeless, etc). I can't help but wonder that your view is that of an outdated stereo type of Hawai'i, Hawaiians, etc that is completely unrealistic. So hence I ask so I don't make assumptions.
Perhaps he can help dig a well so people can have fresh water, or a school, were children can learn about God, or show them how to makes clothes so everyone stops running around naked.

Kinda like Columbus brought enlightenment or the spanish to the Aztecs Or the european crusaders.

Weren't the doing God's work then?

More destruction and killing has been done in the name of God than any other cause.
Makes me glad I'm a Buddhist. I am truly looking forward to the Buddhist temples there

Old 02-09-2011, 05:02 PM

246 posts, read 650,243 times
All you naysayers are sinners in the name of the Op's G0D!!!!!

If you don't suscribe to his G0D, well, then, you are just normal people.

Good day.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
It would be more believable if the call were to the South Side of Chicago in either July or January.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,707 times
mmmm. I wonder why "festerallday" has a name like that? Could it be that you don't have God in your life and are living life sarcastically? Please feel your heart, calm down and accept God. If you do, i truly believe you will have a peace inside of you that will be amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii