Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Yes, God is calling you to Hawaii for ministry 5 9.09%
No, God is not calling you to Hawaii for ministry 30 54.55%
I'm not sure 2 3.64%
I don't believe in a god 18 32.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:29 AM

22 posts, read 57,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Perhaps he can help dig a well so people can have fresh water, or a school, were children can learn about God, or show them how to makes clothes so everyone stops running around naked.

Kinda like Columbus brought enlightenment or the spanish to the Aztecs Or the european crusaders.

Weren't the doing God's work then?

More destruction and killing has been done in the name of God than any other cause.
Makes me glad I'm a Buddhist. I am truly looking forward to the Buddhist temples there
I would disagree with you there and say I think a good argument can be made that more destruction has been done through communism then any other cause. Also I think world war 1 & 2 had more fatalities than any religious fightings have caused. do you really believe this or just saying it because you don't like the idea of God? do you have anything to back it up? I've heard it before but never seen anything factual to back it up.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It would be more believable if the call were to the South Side of Chicago in either July or January.
Why are only people that are called to hard or rough places considered real callings? do the people in Beverly Hills not need to hear the good news that Jesus Christ can save you? or what about Manhattan or Paris or any of the islands in the Caribbean? Does God love them any less cause they live in a nice and desirable area? God loves them just the same. So He sends His children to them because He loves them.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
So you knew the word missionary was offensive in hawaii.
You used it on purpose.
Kind of like calling a black N****r and then saying; "no offence" at the end.

Toll clue number 1.

I'm not sure *****ing people off is a great conversation started.

uhhhhh yeah.
Just a question. Do you have to notify the authorities when moving into a new area?

Troll clue number 2

Troll clue number 3

I'm still not sure *****ing people off is a great conversation started.

Troll clue number 5? 4? 6? ehhhh I've lost count

I dont think so. It irritates me the more I read it.
See my first comment and reread that

Please go reread the marriage vows and promises you made before God when you were married.
If you can not uphold your past promises to God why would you make contradictory ones later?
If I told my boss I was going to do something, and then I get ADD and go do something diferent, that is not respecting my boss.
Here's the traditional marriage vow, I don't remember ours word for word but know it was really similar.

“I, _______, take you _________, to be my (wife/husband), to have and behold from this day on, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; until death do us part.”

There's nothing in there about promising to put your spouse above God. In fact putting anything above God is sin so a traditional Christian marriage vow would definitely not include anything like that.

I'm not sure what a troll is except for the fairy tale ones but I'm pretty sure it's an insult.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Disclaimer: People like you scare the C&AP outa me. You remind me of the inquistion, the crusaders and that guy in Ghana with the purple coolade.

I live in the center of the US on the north edge of a bible belt. There used to be a nice Buddhist Church here. I contacted them when arriving and they told me there are no signs out front or on the building so they wouldn't offend others. (strange)

When I finally did get around to going; the windows were broken and in red spraypaint was written all over it; "Jesus is the answer"
Christians do make mistakes, especially the ones that aren't mentally or spiritually mature. And that doesn't excuse what happened but expecting Christians to be perfect will lead to disappointment. I'm sorry you experienced that.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I find that people get called to be missionaries in places that other people save money for years just to visit. I almost never hear of people feeling called to be missionaries to Chad or Somalia or Sakhelin Island. They want to be missionaries to Spain or Aruba. And many feel a need to have 10k a month support. Nice work if you can get it.
I've heard of missionaries going to rough places like you mentioned. There's an average of about 171,000 Christians who are martyred each year. and a lot of it is happening in places like that.

I intent to support myself, I've never felt any other way about that.

I've never heard of missionaries receiving 10k per month. All I've ever heard of was that they barley make enough to pay their bills. I don't know where you're getting that but I would like to see what you're referencing cause I don't think it's any of the major Christian mission organizations that I've heard of, unless its going to support them and the church.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:
There is a nice Baptist church in the south that does missionary work by sponsoring rotating medical doctors to Hati. Conditions for the doctors are limited electricity, no hot water and bunking together in a cinderblock building that is locked at night. The doctrs pay their own way and their own expenses. The missionary work of the church keeps this going.

Last year they built a well with a pump for the locals.

Support Haiti - The Ohio State University

Maybe you try his kind of 'missionary' work first

Most of these people can make about $300,000 a year. Instead they work for free and pay their own way.
Yes, these are the kinds of missions my church supports. everyone has to pay their own way. They usually go to different places in mexico. I used to work right next door to a independent missionary organization that took different churches to 2 different places in the Caribbean and one place in Africa. the 3 destinations were ranked in level of difficulty and persecution. the place in Africa being the worse, they received death threats there. But everyone had to pay there own way too.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:58 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
I understand what's going on in your mind about feeling a calling to HI, but in all honesty, there's a very high chance that it's just psychological. We tend to develop feelings of desire to do something or go somewhere, in life, and then give the convenient reasoning that "God is calling me" to do it. Please, don't make a mistake based on faith. Only make the move if your brain and heart approves of it; not a deity. "God's calling" is a figment of human imagination and superstition.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:27 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Do be aware that unemployment is very high, especially on the outer islands. cost of living is extremely high, wages are low.

That "aloha Spirit" is just in movies. We found the local people to be somewhat dour, not at all friendly. I suppose the economic stresses of living there would grind down anyone. Also, I hope you realize there is racial tension? Haoles -- white people-- are not welcome with open arms everywhere, with the exception of the expensive resorts. Haoles are not treated so well in local beaches, restaurants, etc, and haole children have a hard time with public shcools.

Perhaps you should just make a visit there first, perhaps 2 weeks, to get the real feel of the place?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.cooper.dc View Post
I DO NOT think God is calling me to be an official missionary to Hawaii, I just don't know how else to explain it, but I DO believe God is calling me to Hawaii for ministry but not full time ministry.
Roger Christie, founder of the THC Ministry, probably felt the same way.
The THC Ministry

Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 PM

53 posts, read 135,624 times
Where is MY personal response from dr.cooper.dc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii