Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:25 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,146 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for Hawaiian Coffee (Kona, Ka'u, Puna, Maui, North Shore, or Kauai) that I can get for under $10 per pound if I purchase 10 or more pounds. Is this possible? Can anyone give me some leads as to farms that might be able to fit this need? I live on O'ahu so I have no problem traveling to farms on other islands. I owe my family on the big island a visit anyway .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 02:37 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,911,413 times
I would try this place: Sharky's Coffee, 100% Hawaiian Coffee, Roasted to Order

If you buy 5 pounds it's $14/pound. You can email them and ask for a better bulk deal. Being kama'aina I'm sure they will work with you.

I've bought their coffee at the Makuu market. Its very good, and one of the few Hawaiian coffees available in a dark roast, amongst others.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I'm looking for Hawaiian Coffee (Kona, Ka'u, Puna, Maui, North Shore, or Kauai) that I can get for under $10 per pound if I purchase 10 or more pounds. Is this possible?
I don't think so, I've never seen anything decent that low of a price.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:03 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

If you buy 5 pounds it's $14/pound. You can email them and ask for a better bulk deal. Being kama'aina I'm sure they will work with you.

I've bought their coffee at the Makuu market. Its very good, and one of the few Hawaiian coffees available in a dark roast, amongst others.
Thanks for the info! I can do $14, just not $24 or $34

Old 02-23-2014, 04:18 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,401,534 times
You might contact the Kona Coffee Council

Kona Coffee Council - Home

Old 02-23-2014, 05:06 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,575,502 times
Best to buy the beans un-roasted. Many coffee merchants/sellers, Starbucks in particular, will roast the sh#t out of a mediocre bean, then try and pass it off as some high blend crappacinoflappeverde whatever. Coffee roaster will be one of your most rewarding investments over the years..

Just don't burn the house down

Old 02-23-2014, 06:52 PM

6 posts, read 5,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

It is not surprising that most Hawaii roasters avoid Dark Roasting given that by that state there isn't much left but the flavor of the roast. Good beans deserve better treatment.

OP, would you be willing to buy green coffee and roasting yourself? It is a smoky proposition, but given the short lifespan of roasted beans, compared to green, buying green in bulk and roasting small batches ever 30 days might be a worthwhile pursuit.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Turn off the smoke detectors, get a cast iron frying pan and put a layer of beans across the bottom. Heat it up while stirring the beans until you just hear one bean pop and the beans should be a dark brown color by then, not black, not sable sort of a dark brown. Pour them out across a baking sheet so they can cool down immediately. Viola! Roasted coffee. Turn the smoke detector back on.

Alternately, you can use a hot air corn popper, the ones with the heat coming in from the sides instead of the bottom works better.

Good luck on finding it for less than $10 a pound. If you've ever picked coffee, you'd offer twice that! Hawaii coffee is hand picked, not machine picked. I haven't a clue how many pounds of cherry you have to pick to get a pound of dry, but dry coffee beans are gonna weigh a lot less than cherry.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:31 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,987 times
The Kauai coffee is mechanically harvested, and though not as high quality as the Kona, still good coffee. On their website, they have a 5lb bag of "100% Kauai Coffee Regular Medium Roast" for $68 and a 10% off deal going. They also have a 10lb bag of "Kauai Coffee Estate Reserve - Green Beans" red catuai variety for $135 (and I suppose 10% off that too).

http://store.kauaicoffee.com/kauai-c...beans-p76.aspx

Old 02-24-2014, 03:43 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,536 times
You won't get green Ka'u or Kona for under $10. The actual production costs are higher. Or they sell you 'offgrade' beans, which is just shredded garbage and sets your roaster on fire. If you buy roasted, it's much higher (20% weight loss, roasting and bagging costs)

Kauai green you MIGHT get at that price, depending on the grade. But these Kauai mechanical harvested beans taste pretty much like generic coffee IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii