Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 01:51 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,587,391 times

Advertisements

Aloha - We are using Guardian Cargo Logistics to move our household goods and the Harley from Florida to the Big Island. We were quoted a price of $13750 for a 30' container. We were told it would hold a 3 bedroom home. We had 2 bedroom + den home, 2000 sqft, and didn't move any mattresses, and sold the living room and dining room furniture. And since we had shipped our furniture from Ohio to Florida (in 2008) in a 28' ABF Upack trailer, this made sense to us. Also, we provided Guardian a list of items, with measurements of those items, that while not 100% correct was substantially correct. Their sale guy sent us an estimate that ndicated it would all fit okay

Pickup was scheduled for Dec 23rd. Upon pickup, which took 2 days, we were advised that our load was in excess of the allowed cubic feet and that we would be charged an EXTRA $8,000, 60% of which was due at that time. We reluctantly paid the extra $4800.

We are still waiting on our stuff, and have tried many time to resolve the huge difference. The sales guy will not take our calls, and a very polite Customer Service manager did offer to reduce the total by a little over $800. So, we're still waiting and are still being told that regardless of their estimating error and their misleading statement that a 3 bedroom house would fit, they can't help us. We're just out the $7200 or so (net) additional charges.

We also had them ship my wife's car. Again, we were quoted $2175 "door to port service" with a pick up date of 1/9. Got a call from the truck driver saying they would pick up the 8th, which we could not do. Then got a call from his dispatcher, then from a very rude manager (I guess) at Regal transport saying they had to pick up on the 8th. I told them we simply could not do that. So they came on the 9th. Driver was very polite. After the car was loaded, got a very abusive call from the same manager insisting that I pay an additional $150 or $200 because they couldn't pick up on Thursday. I refused to pay. We did pick up the car last week, so that issue is settle.

So, the moral of the story is that I would certainly NOT recommend Guardian Cargo Logistics for your move. In retrospect, we should have just gone with a 40' container direct from Matson. Cheaper, and would have been here by now.

If they would happen to resolve this issue in some equitable manner, I'll be glad to do a follow up post to let you know.

Wish me luck!

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 02:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
I used Royal Hawaiian Movers - didn't have to bother boxing things up or a container - they are full service door to door and saves a lot of aggravation.

As far as your extra charges - you'll have a couple of options. Dispute on your credit card or smalls claims court - although, if your contract spells out extra charges for extra cubic feet you may have a challenge.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:55 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times
Too bad you didn't read my post here about Guardian Moving before you went with them. I checked them out in a couple of places on-line and found very bad reviews. And that was five years ago!

We went with Matson for both the container full of furniture and for our car. Both pricing and delivery went exactly as quoted and we had no problems with them.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:45 PM

Arrow Guardian Update!

Our stuff is scheduled for delivery tomorrow (2/14/15) afternoon. Of course, the +/-$800 price correction is no where to be seen. If I ever want to see my furniture (or Harley) again, I have to pay to full amount. PLEASE take my advise and find anyone other than Guardian to handle your move to Paradise.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Hoot - some friendly advice. Better to flame then AFTER you they deliver your household goods. You never know if they are reading this.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:09 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hoot - some friendly advice. Better to flame then AFTER you they deliver your household goods. You never know if they are reading this.
Good advice!!

Old 02-14-2015, 11:45 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Yup, White Viper has some good advice. These are small islands out in the middle of nowhere (especially Discovery Harbor) and word does get around.

Actually, IMHO, "moving to Paradise" is an attitude ripe for disaster. If you were moving to Hell (which is actually a town in Michigan), then I don't think you'd have the same sorts of expectations. The whole "moving to Paradise" thing kinda sets folks up to be disappointed.

Also, a moving company has folks on either end, the ones here may be hard working upstanding sorts of folks. How responsible are they for corporate decisions or what the folks on the other end do? Kinda like the waitress gets the tip, yet the cooks in the kitchen made the meal. Being grumpy at your server isn't usually gonna get the meal cooked any better so when they do show up, they aren't responsible for what their office or the folks at the other end do.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:47 PM

Default Update - furniture is here!

And other than some minor damage, things look okay. Delivery folks here, like the crew that picked up the stuff in Florida, did a good job. One of their Customer service folks was also able to track down the mystery $800 credit that I was promised.

Hotcatz, I'm sure you mean well, but I don't need a "talking to" on how to get along with folks here or in Hell (and I've been there!) I don't have any delusions about having moved to paradise, and I've always tried to treat everyone with respect and common courtesy, like my momma told me to. I'd appreciate it if you would do the same for me.

Whtviper - Yep, and that's why I tried to be as circumspect as possible in my comments.

Mahalo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii