Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 9,322 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of living in Hawaii someday. I've narrowed it down between the two islands... I like countryside and ruralness so I thought Hilo (or a neighborhood close by) would be a nice place to live on Big Island. With Kauai, I want to live on the southern side of the island. Can someone give a 1-10 rating on each place and give some pro's/con's. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 05:22 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Spend a week on both islands and you'll have the answer.
Will you be working or retired?

Old 05-13-2011, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 9,322 times
I would be working

Old 05-13-2011, 05:48 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
If you are working, find the job first and then worry about where to live. Gas is expensive and distances can be far away (at least on the Big Island) so you'd want to live close to work.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:12 PM

181 posts, read 585,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnectar View Post
I would be working
Its EXTREMELY hard to find a job on the Big Island.

And its MUCH MORE difficult to find a job on Kauai compared to the Big Island.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:09 AM

29 posts, read 104,861 times
In my opinion, Hilo's a very nice place. Been here a year and a half and very happy. I'm not familiar with Kauai. Yes, getting a job can be difficult. However, in my case, I decided where I wanted to be and was determined to make it work. Things worked out. Ultimately, you need to spend some time in each place and determine which is right for you. If both are great, then look for work and see what doors open for you.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 11,232 times
We lived on KAU for 5 years before we cut and run. Beautiful place, very expensive. We left because we saw the truth about KAU. Our business fell on hardship and hubby needed to find a job---however, not even our contacts could overcome the established old boys network. A qualified teacher, he was told "auwe! no jobs here for you!" after his intake interview (which he passed). Go home haole.

A wonderful, dangerous, freaky, beautiful, happy, depressed place KAU is.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:54 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGrl View Post
We lived on KAU for 5 years before we cut and run. Beautiful place, very expensive. We left because we saw the truth about KAU. Our business fell on hardship and hubby needed to find a job---however, not even our contacts could overcome the established old boys network. A qualified teacher, he was told "auwe! no jobs here for you!" after his intake interview (which he passed). Go home haole.

And yet I have a haole friend who was a qualified teacher who worked at one of the elementary schools for 30+ years until she just recently retired. I am also a haole who is happily integrated into Kauai society.

Does that mean that Kauai is for everyone? No. But not every haole is told to go home.

I will say that the "established old boys network" is 100% factual.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:57 PM

206 posts, read 466,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGrl View Post

Kau is a district on the Big Island, Kauai is the northern island. Try to be clear about where you're talking about.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:38 PM

58 posts, read 134,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
Kau is a district on the Big Island, Kauai is the northern island. Try to be clear about where you're talking about.
You're right. That's very confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: