Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,741 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a junior in college right now. I know it's probably way to early for me to be looking into moving, but it's just how I am. I was doing some research on Hawaii. I love it, not just the land and that it's Hawaii. I've read a lot about the culture and history too. I'm not done yet but I still have a long time to learn. I also want to learn the Hawaiian language but I don't have the money to take a class. I'm trying to save up for veterinary school. Any ways, I read that Moloka'i doesn't have a vet as of right now. That's why I want to move to that island rather then the bigger islands, but it has been my dream to build my own vets office and to build my own house. So my question is, is it disrespectful to move there and build on the Hawaiian land? Also, what else should I know about Hawaii and the culture? I'm extremely eager to learn. I have a long time before I have to start worrying about this, I just want a head start. Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 02:44 PM

198 posts, read 386,790 times
It is good to have goals and dreams; and pre planning is very important. I would suggest you read all the posts in this forum for the last couple of years since your question is too broad. More importantly it will be very very very very hard to earn a living on Molokai; better suited to Oahu. The population of Molokai is small (about 7 to 8K people)and so is the economy.

Good luck

Old 06-28-2016, 02:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khansen1288 View Post
Any ways, I read that Moloka'i doesn't have a vet as of right now.
That would be news to Dr. Susan Baillie at the Molokai Humane Society.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,741 times
I apologize whtciper1. I must have missed that. I might start looking at some of the other islands since there is a vet, or I could work with her in the future. Thank you for the information. Also KauiPono, which question is to broad? Or are they both to broad? I will start reading the posts in this forum to gain more knowledge about the culture, but would it be possible to build a vet office on any of the islands?

Old 06-29-2016, 09:08 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
OP, you stated that you are saving up for vet school. So I assume that it will be several years before you even start school and I assume two years to complete school. After that you'd probably want to work at a vet clinic to gain practical experience and knowledge before building your own clinic. So, you may be in a position to start your own practise in say ten years? That's plenty of time for you to learn more about where you want to end up, whether it is Hawaii or Alaska or Texas or Michigan.

It looks like you've chosen Hawaii based merely on doing some research. Over the next ten years or so you have plenty of opportunity to read more about what it is really like to live in Hawaii [there are books as well as forums (not just this one)]. You also have plenty of opportunity to find out what it really takes to build your own vet clinic and live in a very rural area.

This question is too broad: "what else should I know about Hawaii and its culture". You say you've done some reading on the culture. Maybe you could share what you think you've learned before asking what else you should know.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:30 PM

121 posts, read 203,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
OP, you stated that you are saving up for vet school. So I assume that it will be several years before you even start school and I assume two years to complete school.
Two years? Vet school is 4 years (after an undergraduate degree). And I see so reason to wait several years to save money. That's like waiting to buy a house until you have cash. Sounds good in theory, but nobody can actually do it. Also, you're paying rent the whole time. Let's say, conservatively the OP needs $200 for vet school. He/she would be so old and have so many other responsibilities that it would be impossible. Borrow, borrow, borrow! OP: I think you want to set up shop on Niihau. They've got no vet...

Old 07-02-2016, 04:04 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Aloha Khansen1288,

A veterinary sounds like a good thing, there's places on several of the islands that could use a veterinary office.

Perhaps you could be a traveling vet and visit ranches and farms and take care of livestock? Big Island probably has enough livestock to keep a mobile vet busy, although the distances traveled might be a bit long. But a very small office and a travelling truck might keep the office expenses small enough to make it work. Or work with a vet that's already got an office.

If you wanted to work up to a veterinary office, a pet sitting service might be a good place to start. There used to be someone who had a fenced in area in her pasture where she'd take in dogs while their owners were away. Each dog had it's own kennel and very securely fenced area but they also had a large part of the pasture with toys to play in together, too. Most of the dogs got along and could go out to the community area to play. They also had a separate area for cats and did dog grooming as well.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:44 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,893,246 times
If you want to be a veterinarian, you should consider becoming a board-certified avian vet. There are only a few hundred of them worldwide and they are in high demand. Plenty of opportunity to travel.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:35 PM

35 posts, read 48,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMaui16 View Post
OP: I think you want to set up shop on Niihau. They've got no vet...

.....single worst piece of advice in the history of the internet, lol :-)

Old 07-10-2016, 01:53 PM

749 posts, read 851,996 times
Too funny, I vote you check out living on Molokini, at least there you'll be safe from the cannibals!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii