Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,701 times

Advertisements

OK, this is a question from my friend who lives on the mainland and has a condo unit in Hawaii.
Her question is
" I don't rent it either for vacation rental or for long-term tenant while I'm not using it.
Do I need to have someone living on the island where my condo is to look after my unit like once in a while just in case or for an emergency? I don't really have a close friend there that I can ask to do that kind of stuff... I know it is a Stated law that you have to have someone on-island if you rent your HI property out.
What about owners who don't rent?"
Does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 08:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
You only have to do what the homeowners associations requires - which in most cases is nothing.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:47 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohatomato71 View Post
OK, this is a question from my friend who lives on the mainland and has a condo unit in Hawaii.
Her question is
" I don't rent it either for vacation rental or for long-term tenant while I'm not using it.
Do I need to have someone living on the island where my condo is to look after my unit like once in a while just in case or for an emergency? I don't really have a close friend there that I can ask to do that kind of stuff... I know it is a Stated law that you have to have someone on-island if you rent your HI property out.
What about owners who don't rent?"
Does anyone know?
Your friend just needs to make sure all the water shutoffs are turned off (particularly the washer/dryer if they have one) and all breakers turned off.

Nasty things can happen in long-term unattended properties.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:04 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
I don't believe that it is a law that she has to have an on island agent unless she rents it out. But she should have someone that has a key, or could check the unit occasionally. Now if that person "caretakes" for more than one owner, they have to be a licensed realtor. The resident manager of the community would probably be excluded from that rule because he is an employee of the association but that could be a gray area.

Some property management companies do offer this service.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,701 times
Thank you everyone.
Now, I've been doing a lot of research myself.
She may rent it out in the future. When she decides to rent it for short term rental,
Options are , to have a local licensed agent, non-licensed person who only works for her.
When she chooses to have a non-licensed person as a caretaker, does she need to hire the person?
What if she asks me to be her "local contact"? I can check her unit once in a while for free.
But Does she still need to "hire" either a licensed agent or non-licensee to "work" for her?

Old 04-22-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohatomato71 View Post
She may rent it out in the future. When she decides to rent it for short term rental,
Options are , to have a local licensed agent, non-licensed person who only works for her.
When she chooses to have a non-licensed person as a caretaker, does she need to hire the person?
What if she asks me to be her "local contact"? I can check her unit once in a while for free.
But Does she still need to "hire" either a licensed agent or non-licensee to "work" for her?
The local contact can check out the unit, do repairs, and take inquiries from the tenants - and do so at no charge to the landlord.

The local contact cannot rent/show the unit to perspective tenants unless the contact is a licensed real estate professional/property management company.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:37 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,656 times
So a private individual cannot show a rental property to someone unless they're a realtor or a property manager? They cannot simply open a door, let them in, answer questions, etc? That is a total misuse of the law and needs to be changed ASAP. If this is true I wouldn't do it, and point in fact I have done it when we lived there. People could fine me, lock me up, whatever. I would sue the pants off whatever regulatory agency tried to enforce that.

This is a free society. I understand the concerns over renting something from someone that doesn't live there. Of course, I wonder how many renters live in buildings that are owned by people who may not even live in the same country, both in Hawaii and elsewhere, and managed from afar too, but this is way too far. Forget that nonsense. If I own something it's mine, not the state's, and that is that. I have the right to show it to anyone I wish whenever I wish, and the right to allow anyone of my choosing to do the same. The law needs to be written so that if a non resident rents out a property, then a particular sort of resident needs to handle the MANAGEMENT of it only. If the "authorities" are not willing to do the right thing, then this provision needs to be ignored by so many people that it makes enforcement an impossibility.

At some point people have to stand up for their rights or they won't have any left. As much as I like Hawaii in some ways, and we do plan on moving back, there are things like this that happen w/ regularity that are just very, very wrong and bizarre. It brings to mind how shocked I was when I first moved to Hilo at all the interference in people's lives by state agencies, the way my culture was always disparaged while another culture was said to be "better", etc. So, I'm glad I read this. It reminds me that there are going to be things to deal w/ that are going to be extremely irritating on a daily basis, just like any place else.

Last edited by smarino; 04-22-2015 at 05:47 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 08:59 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
@ smarino - FYI - Moved to BI from Florida - Florida has similar laws. (We both had real estate licenses there.) Before Florida, had property in 3 other states. You can sue whoever you want, but the law is pretty clear, and is in place for the protection of the potential tenants.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
So a private individual cannot show a rental property to someone unless they're a realtor or a property manager? They cannot simply open a door, let them in, answer questions, etc? That is a total misuse of the law and needs to be changed ASAP. If this is true I wouldn't do it, and point in fact I have done it when we lived there. People could fine me, lock me up, whatever. I would sue the pants off whatever regulatory agency tried to enforce that.

This is a free society. I understand the concerns over renting something from someone that doesn't live there. Of course, I wonder how many renters live in buildings that are owned by people who may not even live in the same country, both in Hawaii and elsewhere, and managed from afar too, but this is way too far. Forget that nonsense. If I own something it's mine, not the state's, and that is that. I have the right to show it to anyone I wish whenever I wish, and the right to allow anyone of my choosing to do the same.

Well, I don't make the law, but the law is clear on this issue - if you are a landlord and not on the island, you need to hire a licensed real estate professional to rent the property on your behalf. I imagine the attempt is to stop scams as only 2 types ofindividuals may rent the property - the landlord if onsite or a licensed real estate professional. The requirement is only for out of state landlords.

http://cca.hawaii.gov/rico/files/201...Properties.pdf

Self-Manage theP roperty

In the Stateof Hawaii, a real estate license is required to sell, buy, lease, and managereal property. The law provides an exception for individuals, and an individual can sell, buy, lease, and manage his/her own property without a real estate license.

If you decide to self-manage your property, you will need tobe familiar with, and comply with, all applicable Hawaii laws. For example,under Hawaii’s Residential Landlord-Tenant Code, if you offer to rent yourproperty and live off-island, you’ll need to find an on-island agent toact on your behalf. The on-island agent doesn’t have to be a licensed realestate professional, unless he/she is involved in real estate activities, likerenting or offering to rent the property.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:24 PM

34 posts, read 51,154 times
I hold a broker's license in Oregon, and it's the same. The law everywhere is pretty strict about who can show property and negotiate terms. This is for the protection of all parties.

Here's what I find interesting: It looks like in Hawaii, a real estate agent can also engage in property management. Is this correct? Here, an agent cannot hold licenses in both real estate and property management. An agent cannot manage rental property unless he/she owns it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: