Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 09:10 PM

310 posts, read 446,916 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on whether or not we should purchase a boat on the mainland (Seattle), or buy one in Hawaii after our move? Cost of shipping it in a container versus cost of buying in Hawaii? Pros/cons. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
I've heard that it's really hard to get a slip to moor your boat, at least here on the Big Island. Maybe before you considering shipping a boat over, you should check to see if you can find space.

If you buy one on the mainland, why not sail it over?

Old 12-08-2017, 11:00 PM

310 posts, read 446,916 times
I want a power boat to park at the house and launch to go fish, snorkel etc. (on Kauai).

Old 12-08-2017, 11:51 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
Why don't you sail it there? If not, can you sail it there?

Old 12-09-2017, 01:09 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,193 times
Something to consider is that the seas in Hawaii are generally rougher, so you need a sturdy, high-bow boat. Look at what is for sale on Craigslist to see what the locals have. You can bring over a zodiac-type boat, about the biggest you can get in a container (they also sell them here), but you won't be able to use it all the time. A friend of mine had a zodiac and mostly used it on the Wailua River for water-skiing/tubing.

You can find large fishing boats on trailers for sale here, but you need a fairly big truck to haul them. As mentioned, you will have trouble getting a slip in Hawaii (they say 5-year wait list on Kauai), so you will likely be limited by what you can tow. Price-wise, I have no experience, mainland is usually cheaper, but the boat market is distorted in tiny markets like Hawaii--some boats are overpriced, others a steal. My recommendation is to get to know the conditions and look for something here first, and comparison shop on the mainland if it's too high. You can always go back for a visit and have it shipped over at a later time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii