Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 02:16 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,990,287 times

Advertisements

If I was to pay into my COBRA for the current services I get (all very good) I would be paying $64.22 for dental and $420.40 for medical =$484.62 a month.

My medical is with Kaiser and I would like to keep going to Kaiser. When I got quoted plans that would suit me the one I feel is the better fit for them is their copayment 40 plans which is $271 a month with no deductible and has a $3,000 max. out of pocket allowance. If I pay COBRA for dental but buy separate medical insurance this would be $335.22 a month.

Am I better off staying with COBRA or buying the separate plan? Please help. I really am an idiot with this! My family is telling me to just pay into COBRA, but a couple friends I asked said not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 PM

210 posts, read 210,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
If I was to pay into my COBRA for the current services I get (all very good) I would be paying $64.22 for dental and $420.40 for medical =$484.62 a month.

My medical is with Kaiser and I would like to keep going to Kaiser. When I got quoted plans that would suit me the one I feel is the better fit for them is their copayment 40 plans which is $271 a month with no deductible and has a $3,000 max. out of pocket allowance. If I pay COBRA for dental but buy separate medical insurance this would be $335.22 a month.

Am I better off staying with COBRA or buying the separate plan? Please help. I really am an idiot with this! My family is telling me to just pay into COBRA, but a couple friends I asked said not to.
whichever is cheaper....

Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,414,048 times
Are you aware of the portability of health insurance?

If you have previous existing conditions, under HIPPA any GROUP health coverage can't exclude you if you've had continous GROUP coverage with no gap greater than 63 days. Otherwise, if you've not maintained continous GROUP coverage, any new group, such as a new employer, can exclude previous existing conditions for 18 mo --- 2 years, I'm not sure exactly, but a long time either way.

Although COBRA cost us $1500/mo, we opted for it to preserve our right to maintain continous coverage. If you have any previous conditions at all, do look at this carefully.

Here's another little game you can play----HIPPA says you must maintian continous group coverage with no gap greater than 63 days. I wouldn't sign up for Cobra right away, wait the 60 days (don't push your luck with 63 days), see if you get another job with group coverage, you've still maintained the continous coverage. If you do pick up Cobra from that 63 day period you will have to pay those 2 months in arrears, but you can play for time!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,870 times
Do the separate plan if it's cheaper and Cobra will allow you to just keep your dental going.

Cobra is just meant as a stop-gap between employer assisted insurance - at some point, you will no longer qualify and will either need to be employed and under new coverage or find your own policy to buy (which it sounds like you have).

Just make sure you know all the rules and don't hurt yourrself in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance