Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 04:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
It all depends upon how the policies and premiums shake out.....
AVAILABILITY of care is only ONE step.

AFFORDABILITY of that care appears WAY beyond my access.

Best COMPREHENSIVE cost estimate I saw LAST yr was looking at a 30% increase in costs to the 'insured' (in LAST year dollars).

I already (in 2012) pay 10x my monthly food costs for crumby medical ins.

For 'middle-class'; 2013 looks to be the last yr to be able to afford to live in USA (and access medical care).

Lower class will get free / reduced rate

Upper class will get what they pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 04:32 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Will not retire early

It will not affect my decision to retire early, however, what I will do is increase my current deductible from $2500 to $10K on my health insurance (Blue Cross) since it is now $1162 per month (family of 3). With the increased deductible, it will be $535 per month.

I wish I had done it 2 1/2 years ago but I was told - any changes - it would not be grandfathered into Obamacare and it could go up. Well, in 2008, we paid $528; in 2009, it was $695, in 2010, it was 880, in 2011, it was $969, and now 2012 - it is $1162.00. Ridiculous.

I know several people who have never carried insurance - ever.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:45 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
It all depends upon how the policies and premiums shake out.

We retired early and pay a fortune for high deductible insurance so it is hard to believe there is funding to add millions of new insured at low rates... even the governments magic credit has a limit.
I keep reading and listening and still haven't figured out what it means for people like us already paying exorbitant monthly premiums. I pay out over $8500/yr with very little to show for it with the huge deductible. I don't really see any benefits whatsoever.

If they wanted to tax me at 2.5% if I didn't have insurance, does this mean they'll give me coverage for that amount? LOL That would be a good deal! but I seriously doubt that's what it means. So.. does it mean we could drop our insurance and pick up a cheaper policy in 2014?

I still have a LOT of questions and need to keep reading the fine print.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:36 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I did one of those little click the box and see what will happen to you things. I could be penalized 62K in taxes for NOT having insurance.
How did you come up with $62,000? Just for the hell of it, I plugged in an AGI of $100,000 for a married couple with no insurance. The result showed a tax penalty of $1,390 if they don't purchase insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
What I don't get is it doesn't say anywhere, like in the constitution, that we can be taxed like this. How is it constitutional?
Read the Chief Justice's opinion.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Interesting question. There may indeed be an increase in early retirees and this would be good for the younger job seekers.

What does the Supreme Court's health-care ruling mean for me? - The Washington Post

I'm lovin' it! (Not to say I wouldn't prefer a single-payer system.)
Thanks for that link - I put in a hypothetical $40,000 income (4% withdrawl on a $1,000,000 nest egg, pre-social security) and this is what I got:

"Starting in 2014:
You will have the option of buying a health plan through your state's exchange with federal assistance. Based on your income, your annual premiums for that plan would be no more than $3,800. Your maximum out-of-pocket costs for deductibles and co-payments would be capped at 30 percent of the total cost"

Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I live in Massachusetts where this type of mandatory health care has been in place for some time now. It's called Mass Care (google it) and it has nothing to do with your employer. If you lose your job, retire early or quit and you're without health benefits then it's up to you to acquire health insurance or else you will be fined. It works. 90% of Mass residents have health insurance and we're building new clinics all the time.
Well then it is noting like Obamcare. Employers with over 25 employees must provide health insurance meeting the mandated coverage or they are fined. The mandates on coverage will even be enforced in Massachusetts.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well then it is noting like Obamcare. Employers with over 25 employees must provide health insurance meeting the mandated coverage or they are fined. The mandates on coverage will even be enforced in Massachusetts.
Yes, but employers aren't mandated to carry insurance benefits for retirees.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I live in Massachusetts where this type of mandatory health care has been in place for some time now. It's called Mass Care (google it) and it has nothing to do with your employer. If you lose your job, retire early or quit and you're without health benefits then it's up to you to acquire health insurance or else you will be fined. It works. 90% of Mass residents have health insurance and we're building new clinics all the time.
But even in Mass. you will now have to meet the mandated coverages and employers with over 25 employees must provide mandated coverage health insurnace or be fined;taxed or whatever you want to call it.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
I keep reading and listening and still haven't figured out what it means for people like us already paying exorbitant monthly premiums. I pay out over $8500/yr with very little to show for it with the huge deductible. I don't really see any benefits whatsoever.

If they wanted to tax me at 2.5% if I didn't have insurance, does this mean they'll give me coverage for that amount? LOL That would be a good deal! but I seriously doubt that's what it means. So.. does it mean we could drop our insurance and pick up a cheaper policy in 2014?
You will experience significant financial relief. Use the above link to calculate your savings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But even in Mass. you will now have to meet the mandated coverages and employers with over 25 employees must provide mandated coverage health insurnace or be fined;taxed or whatever you want to call it.
Only 4% of small business will be affected. FOUR PERCENT.

The scary hyperbole and misinformation is astounding.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:01 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Thanks for that link - I put in a hypothetical $40,000 income (4% withdrawl on a $1,000,000 nest egg, pre-social security) and this is what I got:

"Starting in 2014:
You will have the option of buying a health plan through your state's exchange with federal assistance. Based on your income, your annual premiums for that plan would be no more than $3,800. Your maximum out-of-pocket costs for deductibles and co-payments would be capped at 30 percent of the total cost"
So, your total out-of-pocket is only $760. They have to take you, they can't cancel you if you get sick, the premium is possibly $320/mo. Many retirees are paying that now for Medicare Part B, D, and a Supplement.

Sounds to me, on its face, that early retirement might be much more doable for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance