Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 04:14 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if , when you move to another state & you have health insurance from your job that is supposedly for life, does that insurance just continue on? Or is it altered ?
The reason I'm asking is because on NPR , there was a segment about people who were retired and were limited to relocating certain states (NJ was one) because any old illness (and who does not have one at 62 + ? ) is considered a prior existing condition and is thus, in some states , not covered. Is that true? Thanks. nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 10:09 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
This should probably be in the Health section, but can see how it's an important retirement issue. The answer is one of those "it depends" things. If your health care/insurance from a company who relies on PPOs and HMOs who are under contract, it's possible that they only have providers in specific areas who are approved, and that moving out of that area might mean that you either don't have ANY coverage or your coverage becomes very limited.

The pre-existing conditions protections which apply to people who switch jobs and hence insurance DO NOT apply to private purchases of insurance, so, yes, if you buy a policy on your own, it's possible to fall into the "pre-existing condition" trap.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:36 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
When I retired, I just took my health insurance with me to my new location. However, if my original plan was limited to a local or regional geographic area, I would have had to convert it to one offered in my new area. Since it wasn't, the only action needed was to submit a change of address.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:47 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,891,433 times
Nancy -

PNW gave a great answer. This is such an important issue that I'd rely upon no one but the H.R. Dept. or whomever handles your insurance at your own company. Each insurance/company differs (widely differs in some cases, as I've seen in personal experience) & you don't want to fall to disadvantage by missing the 1 little point that causes your healthcare to nullify, like moving to a state which triggers an exclusionary clause as in the example you described.

This is far too important to not go only to the source. I'm not retirement age, but have moved a handful of times, several times holding onto previous insurance & found odd little quirks that made me have to inconveniently work-around oddities.

Best of luck... VV

Old 09-17-2007, 07:46 AM

823 posts, read 3,689,555 times
nancy,

I did some research yesterday on health insurance plans in some of the states we are interested in and our plan is not offered in any of the states. You can do a Google search for this info. You can also call doctors and hospital in any area and inquire as to what plans they accept.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:54 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
Thank you for all your suggestions. You guys are great as always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance