Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khsoj View Post
Frankly, I don't understand why anyone who lives in a rural area would even think of getting an advantage plan. They are a great deal if you live in a larger metro area where they are popular. But whats the point of signing up for then if no one (or else no one close) where you live will take them?

Many states are beginning to use the advantage plans for their retirees who are age 65 (or older) and offering nothing else. It certainly cuts state expenses and I doubt that they'll ever go back to their old health plans. These generally work out OK unless you live in some remote rural area (like say retired school teachers)
I agree. Medicare Advantage Plans work well in more densely populated areas. Of course, you could not be admitted unless your were in their coverage area. The coverage area is reviewed by Medicare to assure proper medical care under this plan. Well, it suppose to be but I have my doubts if they make a good assessment in some of the fringe areas of the coverage area.

I am basically satisfied with Kaiser Senior Advantage in the Denver area but I always look at other plans so to make a decision every year if it is the best plan. I make no assumptions that it will continue to be the best for me in the future. The big issue for me is hate more paperwork and Kaiser just works with a minimum of communications and I tend to look at supplement plans as a bigger hassle.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 01:08 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
LC, with your health issues, could you get approved if you chose to switch?

Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
LC, with your health issues, could you get approved if you chose to switch?
Yes and No. I have not done much research on supplement plans in Colorado because I have no interest in these plans. It is complicated when you talk about Guaranteed Issue of Medigap Plans. It depends on what is offered in your state and what is your age and what plan you are coming from. Basically in Colorado, I can move from my Medicare Advantage Plan to selected types of Medigap Plans, even with my health conditions.

If I leave Kaiser Medicare Advantage Plan, I would more likely go to another Advantage Plan or a PPO Plan.

The Advantage Plans have been the least costly of what I have seen. I can get a plan with no additional cost per month but I have selected a plan with a very minimal monthly cost that includes prescription drug coverage.

It is really a difficult issue in understanding Medicare, especially for the elderly and those of diminished cognitive abilities. This publication is available to understand the supplemental plans under Medicare http://www.medicare.gov/publications/pubs/pdf/02110.pdf
If you can understand this publications with the first reading, then you can pass GO because you are a smart person.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-15-2012 at 09:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance