Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 02:00 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,825,856 times

Advertisements

oops, type in the title: Should be ACA, not ACE. Can't correct titles, apparently.

I ran into an interesting situation recently and wondered if anyone else had heard about this. I was speaking with a representative from BCBS in another state regarding Medicare supplemental plan questions (for my retirement research), and the issue of the ACA came up in the conversation, even though it doesn't pertain to me personally, as I am turning 65 before 2014.

The BCBS rep expressed concern for 2014 in that state because although BCBS in her state was designing new policies that will meet the ACE requirements and getting ready for implementation in Oct 2013 on the state exchange, her company (BCBS) had heard that the other health insurance companies in that state were not going to participate in the ACA at all, and were not planning to offer health insurance to all applicants, regardless of health conditions, as is required by the ACA law. We both said that it sounded illegal to do that, but perhaps there are loopholes for health ins co to slip out of?

If it is possible for some health insurers to opt out of the ACA entirely, then it puts the added burden on the other companies that "play by the rules" in that they may end up with the sicker customers while the other companies continue to cherry pick the healthy customers, instead of the risk being spread around all insurance companies.

I wondered if anyone had heard of loopholes that ins companies can use to get out of the rule in 2014 to insure all applicants regardless of health conditions.

I'm not debating the pros and cons of the ACA, just asking about loopholes, if any. It's an interesting issue if these loopholes exist. Or maybe some companies are just going to take a chance on not getting caught.

Last edited by xz2y; 02-28-2013 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM

164 posts, read 267,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
oops, type in the title: Should be ACA, not ACE. Can't correct titles, apparently.

I ran into an interesting situation recently and wondered if anyone else had heard about this. I was speaking with a representative from BCBS in another state regarding Medicare supplemental plan questions (for my retirement research), and the issue of the ACA came up in the conversation, even though it doesn't pertain to me personally, as I am turning 65 before 2014.

The BCBS rep expressed concern for 2014 in that state because although BCBS in her state was designing new policies that will meet the ACE requirements and getting ready for implementation in Oct 2013 on the state exchange, her company (BCBS) had heard that the other health insurance companies in that state were not going to participate in the ACA at all, and were not planning to offer health insurance to all applicants, regardless of health conditions, as is required by the ACA law. We both said that it sounded illegal to do that, but perhaps there are loopholes for health ins co to slip out of?

If it is possible for some health insurers to opt out of the ACA entirely, then it puts the added burden on the other companies that "play by the rules" in that they may end up with the sicker customers while the other companies continue to cherry pick the healthy customers, instead of the risk being spread around all insurance companies.

I wondered if anyone had heard of loopholes that ins companies can use to get out of the rule in 2014 to insure all applicants regardless of health conditions.

I'm not debating the pros and cons of the ACA, just asking about loopholes, if any. It's an interesting issue if these loopholes exist. Or maybe some companies are just going to take a chance on not getting caught.
I don't think it would be legal for them to do what they informed you they plan to do (discriminate against people with those conditions). If I understand the law correctly, that practice must end Next Year.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 AM

805 posts, read 1,874,483 times
Not an expert.

From what I understand. You are correct in saying that all insurance companies can choose to either sell or not sell their products via the 'health marketplaces".

From 2014,there are two new sets of rules. The first set of rules is compulsory for all insurance companies. The second set of rules are for insurance companies that want to sell via the "marketplaces".

If you want to sell via the marketplace, you will have to provide coverage's according to one of 3 standards set by the Govt (the bronze, silver or gold level plans). The advantage to both sides to use the marketplaces are the Govt rebates, which will lower the cost to many consumers (not all). Therefore lower prices to the customers should mean more policies sold.

If an insurance company wants to sell a policy that differs from the Govt plans outside of the marketplaces it can, provided it still meets the other legal minimums that come into force.

There is no legal compulsion to sell through the marketplaces. However, there is the economic incentive of Govt subsidies providing more customers.

Its a huge change for sure...

My guess is that the marketplaces will be a huge success and the companies who don't join them will loose individual customers.

(I am biased towards Obamacare.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance