Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:44 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,967 times

Advertisements

I have read too much about it & understood very little. How exactly does it impact us?? I would really like to hear the pros & cons. Any links that explain it clearly would also be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
People with Cadillac health care now, such as health care workers who don't pay for their own care but stick the rest of us with their expenses, will be taxed on that benefit, but it won't take effect untill 2018 so the unions have time to change the law. It is about time that those who have free health care stop shifting their costs on to the paying customers. When I go to Kaiser Hospital I often hear their employees bragging about their pay increases, great retirement package, and their free health care even makes the evening news. So, it will impact them - finally, by taxing their health care benefits. But, who cares, it is about time the rest of us stop picking up their tab.

Here is a brief article that might also help you:

https://news.fidelity.com/news/news.....US&srcIndex=7

Old 07-03-2012, 11:47 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Thanks a lot Heidi. That sounds like good news, especially for people with pre-existing conditions. So the people opposing the law are the ones with 'cadillac' health coverage? Overall it sounds like it would greatly benefit a lot of people. Dont want to take any sides until I understand it thoroughly.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asma410 View Post
I have read too much about it & understood very little. How exactly does it impact us?? I would really like to hear the pros & cons. Any links that explain it clearly would also be helpful.
Heck if the congress didn't know what the bill said, how can we be expected to know? We will just have to hope for the best....and no the ones who oppose it do not all have "Cadilac" coverage, ask the seniors how they feel? That being said, i am not sure how the moderators feel about us getting political on this forum...

Old 07-03-2012, 02:16 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
For some people who live paycheck to paycheck and have a 20 yr old car like my husband and I it is not such a good thing . If we dont take the offered insurance plan at my husbands work which is 2000 a month for both of us then we will be fined by the irs .I am disabled as well but cannot afford my medicaid spenddown either . I dont see how they think if we cant pay for the health insurance at my husbands work then we could pay a fine . we cant afford the health insurance through work but we can pay a fine ? dont see where that understanding comes from . But yeah we can have health care but we will be living in a car because we wont be able to afford a roof over our head and a health plan from his work and still eat as well . I wish someone would explain how all this is supposed to work because I dont think it is going to be a well thought out plan and it will probably end up like the cash for clunkers program did . Another obama blunder ...Or most of us will end up on food stamps and we dont qualify for those either even though Im disabled ...go figure

Old 07-03-2012, 04:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
People with Cadillac health care now, such as health care workers who don't pay for their own care but stick the rest of us with their expenses, will be taxed on that benefit, but it won't take effect untill 2018 so the unions have time to change the law. It is about time that those who have free health care stop shifting their costs on to the paying customers. When I go to Kaiser Hospital I often hear their employees bragging about their pay increases, great retirement package, and their free health care even makes the evening news. So, it will impact them - finally, by taxing their health care benefits. But, who cares, it is about time the rest of us stop picking up their tab.

Here is a brief article that might also help you:

https://news.fidelity.com/news/news.....US&srcIndex=7
I have a family full of health care workers and they ALL pay premiums for medical insurance--not sure where you get your assumptions that they don't??

Old 07-03-2012, 04:30 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,406,153 times
This is the government link for the Affordable Health Insurance Act
Home | HealthCare.gov

Livecontent

Old 07-03-2012, 05:24 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have a family full of health care workers and they ALL pay premiums for medical insurance--not sure where you get your assumptions that they don't??

California has a nurse's union that pretty much runs over the rest of us - no assumption made. They get their members "free" health care but you know someone has to pay for it. I don't think stock holders have any interest in paying so that leaves the people who do pay premiums. I can't speak for all, but, I do know what is reported on our local news (ABC7) about their union negotiated free health care. I think all our premiums would be lower if we didn't have to pick up their tab. The link I sent discussed the Cadillac care towards the end.

If there are health care workers who do contribute, this obviously wouldn't apply. When some don't, it makes health care difficult for the rest of us to pay the high premiums for less and less every year. Last year our rates tripled for no apparent reason other than greed. In the future, I suspect the new law will only give seniors less and less coverage as time goes by since there will be more people draining the system.

Last edited by Heidi60; 07-03-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 07:46 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,552,312 times
Let's be clear --

If you are offered "free" health care by your employer, the employer is paying for it. It may look free, because the beneficiary does not have a monthly bill ... but the employer is offsetting that (likely at the expense of other benefits it could have offered workers)

Also, the ACA seeks to rectify the situation of people who have NO insurance, and use the Emergency department (which raises costs for all).

Someone who has free health insurance, is not in that category. Also, they would not be taxed, as they could prove they have health insurance.

It is my understanding that the ACA does not mandate that you pay for health insurance, just that you have it. So, if your employer covers all the bill for you .. you are still covered and not subject to the fine.

And for people who are suggesting that the fines are going to be expensive .. from what I understand, the fines (in the beginning) are pretty mild. Over time they increase, with the intention of funneling people into health insurance (i.e. at some point in time it will just be cheaper to buy health insurance than to pay the fine).

Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,480 times
Quote:
California has a nurse's union that pretty much runs over the rest of us - no assumption made. They get their members "free" health care but you know someone has to pay for it. I don't think stock holders have any interest in paying so that leaves the people who do pay premiums. I can't speak for all, but, I do know what is reported on our local news (ABC7) about their union negotiated free health care. I think all our premiums would be lower if we didn't have to pick up their tab. The link I sent discussed the Cadillac care towards the end.

If there are health care workers who do contribute, this obviously wouldn't apply. When some don't, it makes health care difficult for the rest of us to pay the high premiums for less and less every year. Last year our rates tripled for no apparent reason other than greed. In the future, I suspect the new law will only give seniors less and less coverage as time goes by since there will be more people draining the system.

The employer is paying for the health coverage and if they choose to cover 100% of the cost, then their employees are very lucky. Noone but the employer is paying the cost for their employees' health coverage. If your rates tripled last year, it is because the doctors and pharmaceutical companies are the greedy ones and increasing their rates. If your employer coverage tripled, it is because the entire group is underwritten as "one" and if there are people that are very sick in that group, everyone's rates will increase, The insurance companies have to pay your claims so they have to have a "fund" where that money is available to pay those claims.

The ACA will expand the medicaid system to give more people in the lower income brackets help with paying for health insurance. People who have preexisting conditions will not be declined coverage, nor will their rates increase because of those health conditions. This may not be the best answer but its a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance