Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:16 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times

Advertisements

I have joined the ranks of those who have run into a problem with Healthcare.gov...for some reason, I can't get past the first step of identification verification. Spoke to Experian on the phone, answered a lot of extra questions, didn't make a difference. Received a message on Healthcare.gov that I needed to upload some type of documentation. I took a picture of my driver's license, and after several attempts, it finally uploaded. I don't understand the problem. I've lived at the same address for eons, they have my Social Security number...what's the big deal?

My current individual health insurance policy is being canceled at the end of the year, and in my state, you HAVE to go through Healthcare.gov if you qualify for the Federal subsidy (which I do). This problem happened to a friend's 30-something daughter (who also qualifies for the subsidy). He was so concerned about making sure there was no gap in his daughter's insurance, that he decided to just forgo the subsidy and purchase her new insurance through the insurance company's website.

I'm getting nervous and the December 23 deadline is looming. Not only do I have to sign up for my new plan by that date, but the insurance company also has to receive my payment by that deadline. The subsidy makes a HUGE difference in the cost of my premiums. What to do, what to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 09:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
They have to verify that you are you--doesn't matter if you have lived at the same place forever--how do they know it is YOU filling out the form and not someone that hacked into your bank records? They are trying to curb fraud, which costs us billions each year.

Call the healthcare.gov people...

Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Healthcare.gov Can't Verify My Identity

Lucky, you!

(Sorry, couldn't resist. I have no answer to your question.)

Old 12-10-2013, 10:12 AM

805 posts, read 1,870,922 times
I had the same issue, it took about a week to sort out...All OK now. Good luck.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
They have to verify that you are you--doesn't matter if you have lived at the same place forever--how do they know it is YOU filling out the form and not someone that hacked into your bank records? They are trying to curb fraud, which costs us billions each year.

Call the healthcare.gov people...
Duh...I TOTALLY understand that they have to verify my identity. But after talking to (1) Experian AND (2) the Marketplace Call Center (as directed by Healthcare.gov), the process still came to a screeching halt. If they have my name (as listed on my Social Security card), my birthdate, my Social Security number, my address (where I have lived since the 1970s), the name of my high school...WHY is there a problem?

I've even checked my (excellent) credit history through Experian in the past, so what gives? I don't know if my problem is an aberration, or if it's happening to the majority of applicants.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:06 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I have been stuck with the same problem since October 1st. I gave up and just created a new account. Guess what? My identity was immediately identified! Try doing that instead.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:13 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I looked above and can't believe that I typed "identified" rather than "verified".

Old 12-11-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I looked above and can't believe that I typed "identified" rather than "verified".
'Tis OK! I'd be thrilled if my identify could be "identified"!

Old 12-11-2013, 08:44 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
I signed up through Covered California. They also could not verify who I was. After 45 years of paying taxes, you would think they would have some record of me. LOL

I have to send in a few things, but I don't see it as a big deal. I don't think they have all their ducks lined up yet. I received a letter confirming my enrollment but I was only guaranteed a 90-day period with health insurance until they receive my information. There was also some errors in their letter which after calling them on I was told about.

Deadlines for enrollment and first payments have been extended, at least for California, but I imagine for everyone.

I was on the phone yesterday with them after waiting 40 minutes and then was cut off. I wasn't too happy about that, but to my surprise they called me back. They had been having phone problems from too much activity, imagine that.

For myself, I have had a pretty good experience with it all. They want some information for verification purposes which I will gladly give. As a cancer patient coming off of a high risk pool with a $75,000 annual maximum which max'd out in October, I am breathing a sigh of relief with this new health insurance.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:14 AM

OK, my identity has been verified on Healthcare.gov. However, when I type in the application number I received from the Marketplace Call Center, there is no record. I'm hoping that if I continue to check back, that it'll show up.

I talked to Blue Cross about a week ago, and they told me that I'd be receiving a letter telling me that the deadline to get a new policy with them (because my existing policy is being canceled) was extended from December 15 to December 23. Well, the letter AND an email have been received...showing a deadline of December 15. Arrrggghhh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance