Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We will see how this all plays out....there are other costs associated with having more employees, especially higher work-comp costs but also additional payroll costs, FICA, etc.
I also imagine an employer that only pays $8.15 and hour with a max of 24 hours and no benefits will have a very difficult time finding and keeping quality employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:53 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I also imagine an employer that only pays $8.15 and hour with a max of 24 hours and no benefits will have a very difficult time finding and keeping quality employees.
Yes but then those employers will spout off that nobody wants to work anymore and that they just cannot hire or keep people because they are so lazy and just don't want to work, just sit home and draw welfare.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,371,148 times
People don't realize how much wages have been cut in one way or another. Professions that used to enjoy a decent wage (truck drivers, pilots even teachers, etc.) have seen their wages slashed while being asked to work longer hours, while making much greater demands on what they must produce in a day. Large retailers exploit workers, making them work extremely hard for an unlivable wage. Ever notice how your UPS ( a decent paying company) drivers must run your packages to your door and run back into the truck. They are being made to do this in order to meet their delivery quota and get truck back on schedule. Unskilled workers especially are being worked to death, while the corporation reaps larger and larger profits by not sharing any of the wealth with the workers.

Lots of people are becoming angry now I think, because maintaining a living has become much more difficult for many. They're angry to see their hours cut (all in the name of maintaining larger profits for the corporation) and put blame where they shouldn't (like ACA) Companies are treating people like disposable napkins. Easily replaceable and just part of their business plan. Been going on for a long time, and it is just getting worse and worse.

Employers are getting away with whatever they can, because they can. If you are fortunate to have a job that is in high demand, then things can be quite different, and employers must work to keep you. But unfortunately, this is only part of America. For the other part, life is becoming more difficult.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:38 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
That's a few cents more than minimum wage in CA. Very few minimum wage earners here receive benefits. (And vacation and sick pay? Amazing.)

Old 04-02-2014, 05:20 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
Minimum will go up but won't change qualifications for ACA.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:02 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
Quote:
They are having no problem at all finding workers ! ! !

I would hire most all of the ones that I have seen,
and they work hard at their job and get it done ! ! !

Old 04-02-2014, 06:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
They are having no problem at all finding workers ! ! !

I would hire most all of the ones that I have seen,
and they work hard at their job and get it done ! ! !

Put it this way then--people that earn $8/hour don't expect full benefits....many people like having a part-time job and they are actually somewhat hard to find if you aren't into flipping burgers.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:29 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Put it this way then--people that earn $8/hour don't expect full benefits....many people like having a part-time job and they are actually somewhat hard to find if you aren't into flipping burgers.
These people had 40 hrs a week now only 24.

They had sick time ... paid vacation time ... and personal time.

Now it is all gone ...no benifits at all, and most of them now have to
do more tasks per day than they did before, for the same money.

They make around $ 7.80 hr. my wife makes a little more at $8.15 hr.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:17 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
These people had 40 hrs a week now only 24.

They had sick time ... paid vacation time ... and personal time.

Now it is all gone ...no benifits at all, and most of them now have to
do more tasks per day than they did before, for the same money.

They make around $ 7.80 hr. my wife makes a little more at $8.15 hr.

The same thing is happening now in our industry to the service techs - guys that were making $17/hour are calling DH asking for jobs because they've been cut from full to part-time. We pay $15/hour but we always pay 40 hours/week plus the opportunity for overtime is pretty decent. During the recession, the other companies took away all the benefits, no one got overtime etc.. but now they are slashing hours too. They do not appear to be in financial trouble, so something else is in play.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:22 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
The same thing is happening now in our industry to the service techs - guys that were making $17/hour are calling DH asking for jobs because they've been cut from full to part-time. We pay $15/hour but we always pay 40 hours/week plus the opportunity for overtime is pretty decent. During the recession, the other companies took away all the benefits, no one got overtime etc.. but now they are slashing hours too. They do not appear to be in financial trouble, so something else is in play.
Government costs and charges are in play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance