Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,924 times

Advertisements

Hi - my mother is 82 years old and has been a permanent resident for 5 years in the United States. Is she eligible for medicare or any other long term insurance plan under ACA? Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 11:06 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
Medicare has an on-line tool to help you re eligibility and costs, located at
Medicare.gov - Eligibility & Premium Calculator

A quick "estimate" for someone born in 1932, paid no Medicare taxes on wages, resident for 5+ years, income less than $85,000/yr, looks like the Part A and Part B premiums combined could be in excess of $600 per month . YMMV

Part D drug coverage would add to that.

Good luck...

Last edited by reed303; 03-30-2014 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 04:23 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nangu View Post
Hi - my mother is 82 years old and has been a permanent resident for 5 years in the United States. Is she eligible for medicare or any other long term insurance plan under ACA? Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.
A person who never paid anything into our entitlement system is undeserving of subsidized healthcare and is a slap in the face to those who worked their entire lives here in this country. Would your country give one of us subsidized healthcare if we moved there?

Old 04-04-2014, 05:23 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
A person who never paid anything into our entitlement system is undeserving of subsidized healthcare and is a slap in the face to those who worked their entire lives here in this country. Would your country give one of us subsidized healthcare if we moved there?
Actually, if you had read the entire thread, you would have seen this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Medicare has an on-line tool to help you re eligibility and costs, located at
Medicare.gov - Eligibility & Premium Calculator

A quick "estimate" for someone born in 1932, paid no Medicare taxes on wages, resident for 5+ years, income less than $85,000/yr, looks like the Part A and Part B premiums combined could be in excess of $600 per month . YMMV

Part D drug coverage would add to that.
At that premium level, OP's mothers healthcare is NOT subsidized - unless you think:

$...600 - Medicare Parts A & B (vs. 104.90 for regular Medicare beneficiaries)
.......50 - Part D
.....250 - Medigap plan

$1,000 - Total Monthly Cost

is a giveaway???? Seems to me $105/mo. vs. $600/mo. would fall in the UNSUBSIDIZED category. Most retirees are paying $350-$400/mo. altogether - not $1,000/mo.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-04-2014 at 06:25 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
600 a month will not buy a very good plan on exchanges without some subsiding. If that were true they could have bought on private sector before this. Yes 600 is cheap compared to actual cost.Just look what a person working from say 20 to 65 paid even before the 108 plus part D a month.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:06 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
My husband was already retired when he came here and now he has been here for five and a half years. We live in Massachusetts and he has had our state health care.

Yes, his country would give me healthcare and it would be absolutely free. In fact, when I needed a prescription filled in England several years ago, I went go a doctor under his health insurance, was seen immediately, and got my prescription. Now that I am married to him I have an NHS number and have my own health insurance if I go there again. In some ways many other countries are more advanced and compassionate than the US. It's right that there should be provisions for people who come to this country legally--they paid a lot in dues and passed all the tests and background checks. There should be a provision for them to get health care.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My husband was already retired when he came here and now he has been here for five and a half years. We live in Massachusetts and he has had our state health care.

Yes, his country would give me healthcare and it would be absolutely free. In fact, when I needed a prescription filled in England several years ago, I went go a doctor under his health insurance, was seen immediately, and got my prescription. Now that I am married to him I have an NHS number and have my own health insurance if I go there again. In some ways many other countries are more advanced and compassionate than the US. It's right that there should be provisions for people who come to this country legally--they paid a lot in dues and passed all the tests and background checks. There should be a provision for them to get health care.
Well, "Free" after you pay taxes....

Old 04-05-2014, 09:39 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
600 a month will not buy a very good plan on exchanges without some subsiding. If that were true they could have bought on private sector before this. Yes 600 is cheap compared to actual cost.
Wrong. You made my point. $600 + Medigap = $1,000. That Medicare cost of $600 is NOT cheap.

Full cost for an unsubsidized Gold Plan on exchange in my area for 65 & over w/500 deductible is $860/yr, $140 less then the $1,000 Medicare/Medigap combined.

Actually, OP's mother might have been better off with an unsubsidized exchange plan and forget about Medicare completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance