Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:16 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
OP -

Your STD/LTD through work is separate from SS disability, which perhaps some of the posters above are confusing.

Also, its possible (likely) that the standards are different between the two systems. (i.e. you could be approved for your employee LTD, but not be approved for SS disability without an appeal) as each program is going to have its own standards.

I would look at your employer-based LTD policy and see what hte requirements are, and if you think (and if your doctor thinks) you meet them. If so, I would start the process.

If you start the application while you are still employed, and you meet the criteria for the program, even if your employer fired you tomorrow, they would still likely have to pay the LTD, as the application was started (and you met the criteria) while still an employee.

Edit: PS You have to be unable to work to apply for STD, LTD, or SSDI. If you are unable to work, you should apply for all at THE SAME TIME. After, and only after you receive SSDI should you try to return to work very part time to supplement your income. The amount of your STD or LTD will likely be approximately 67% of your regular pay. Your SSDI amount will depend on what your highest wages were where you paid into the system for at least 4 successive calendar quarters. So, for example, if you made $45,000 at the highest income in your career, and you earned that much for at least a year, your SSDI will be based on that amount.

Once you secure your STD/LTD benefits (at this point LTD seems more important than STD), you can determine whether or not you want to pursue SS disability as well. (I don't think having a private disability policy through an employer disqualifies you from SS disability).

Best of luck, I hope your health stabilizes

STD and LTD insurance carriers (private) require that the person be determined totally disabled from work by your own doctor. It is much less complicated than Social Security. Your employer can contact them when you have a letter from your doctor taking you off work. You will first get STD (if you have that coverage), which might be from one insurance carrier, and after 3 months, the LTD will kick in, likely from a different insurance carrier (if you have that coverage). Sometimes the LTD kicks in right away, if the doc says they are not sure when you will be able to return to work, but that it will be at least ___ months.

Insurance carriers vary on whether they will continue to pay LTD if you are fired. Not necessarily legal.

Social Security Disability is completely separate from the above insurances. SSDI is from the Social Security Administration. There is question out there about receiving UNEMPLOYMENT benefits while applying for SSDI, but STD and LTD do not affect your SSDI application at all.

Last edited by jzeig104; 05-14-2014 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 11:32 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothelight View Post
I have LTD with my work. Wouldn't it be easier than gettting on social security? Or am I misunderstanding?
If you qualify for STD or LTD at work they are going to make you apply for SSDI, sometimes they also provide the lawyer. they will also deduct anything you get from SSDI from what they are paying you.
They will also take any back payments SSDI pay you, minus the lawyer fee.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:33 AM

Add on: Your SSDI amount is based on your highest earnings for 4 successive calendar quarters. So if you previously made more money, and did so for at least a year, your SSDI amount will be based on those earnings.

Also, If you are unable to work, you should apply for all three, STD, LTD, and SSDI all at the same time. You have everything to lose by waiting.
Your doctor(s) have to certify that you are unable to work.

Once you have been awarded SSDI you can try to return to work very part time to supplement your income. Not before. The max you can earn in 2014 is $1070 per month.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
If you qualify for STD or LTD at work they are going to make you apply for SSDI, sometimes they also provide the lawyer. they will also deduct anything you get from SSDI from what they are paying you.
It would be rare for an insurance carrier to provide an attorney to help you get SSDI. Does happen if they estimate they are "on the hook" for a long long time.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:52 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
the policy at my husbands company works exactly like that, as soon as you go on disabilty with them they insist you file for SSDI and any retirement benefits you may be due, they also assume any benefits the spouse may be elegible for and they reduce their payment by the amount they assume you should be getting.

It is a 60% of pay BUT it has a $5000. cap per month so in his case less then 60% and minus those things I said.

They do assign an attorney to file for you etc.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:42 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
This was the way my employer LTD worked. SSDI was deducted from any LTD. Total payments between LTD/SSDI were not to exceed - in OP's case - 60% of gross salary. Employer also told some people it would "work with them" to get SSDI - whatever that meant.

I was on employer STD (two-months) twice, with one instance extending into LTD for another month. This was back in the day (before FMLA) when decent employers didn't fire you, but actually held your job. In both cases, insurance company kept wanting updates on health status, doctors reports, etc. - even when doctor said recovery would take at least eight weeks, or more. Very unnerving. I always felt it could be cut off at any time. Employer kept calling inquiring on my return. Because of this pressure, I went back to work a couple of weeks too soon. Even though I was supposed to return working half days, HR people asked me to work longer. I tried and remember almost passing out. Employers aren't too kind when it comes to disabilities. These days they just fire you.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-14-2014 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance