Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2016, 10:42 PM

642 posts, read 1,114,132 times

Advertisements

I'm kinda at a loss right now with what to do in regards to health insurance.

I am working seasonal jobs - Alaska in the summer and Colorado / Vermont in the winter.

I tried to sign up in Vermont last December to avoid the ACA penalties for not having insurance, but it turns out they never fully processed my application. I never got billed and my coverage was never effective because it was "payment pending" but I may end up paying it retroactively to avoid stiff tax penalties.

I'm currently in Alaska and here for another month, then going to Vermont for a month and then most likely Colorado for the winter. I went to the healthcare.gov to check out my options for coverage, but they require you to enter a zip code and I don't know which one to enter.

Should I sign up for Alaskan coverage, even though I'm leaving in a month? Should I sign up for Colorado's insurance since I'll most likely be there for a longer amount of time?

I wish there was a very basic, nationwide 'catastrophic coverage' that I could apply for, but I'm not sure that exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 10:29 AM

469 posts, read 762,161 times
Your driver's license (or state ID card) and Social Security file should list an address of record. When using the exchange, you sign up and pick a plan based on this. The address you enter on the Healthcare.gov application is compared to these databases for a match.

PPO plans offer the best coverage for those in your situation but they are also the most expensive if you're not eligible for subsidies. They are also becoming harder to find.

You may want to look into something like Liberty HealthShare. They do not use provider networks and are exempt from the ACA penalty.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:31 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,120,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
I'm kinda at a loss right now with what to do in regards to health insurance.

I am working seasonal jobs - Alaska in the summer and Colorado / Vermont in the winter.

I tried to sign up in Vermont last December to avoid the ACA penalties for not having insurance, but it turns out they never fully processed my application. I never got billed and my coverage was never effective because it was "payment pending" but I may end up paying it retroactively to avoid stiff tax penalties.

I'm currently in Alaska and here for another month, then going to Vermont for a month and then most likely Colorado for the winter. I went to the healthcare.gov to check out my options for coverage, but they require you to enter a zip code and I don't know which one to enter.

Should I sign up for Alaskan coverage, even though I'm leaving in a month? Should I sign up for Colorado's insurance since I'll most likely be there for a longer amount of time?

I wish there was a very basic, nationwide 'catastrophic coverage' that I could apply for, but I'm not sure that exists.
You need to apply in the state that is your legal residence, the address on your tax returns from 2015 is what they will look at or, if you have officially moved since then with a new driver's license, that is the state in which you need to obtain a plan.

The "Best" plan would be a PPO with a national insurer like Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Cigna, etc. that has providers in every state. It will certainly take a lot of work on your end to make sure which ever plan you go with has in-network providers near all of your locations, but it's worth the time an effort--and possible expense--to do so. Do NOT get an HMO plan from anyone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance