Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2016, 02:33 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times

Advertisements

The results from the natural experiment in Oregon, where some folks were randomly given insurance, where others weren't, i believe by lottery, are interesting. No difference in health. Many potential reasons, outside the scope here. But interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 04:27 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
"Cases of premium sticker shock are happening across the country. This week federal officials said the premium for a mid-level plan on the federal-run exchange used by 39 states will rise an average of 25% next year — nearly double California’s increase.

In July, Obama administration officials said that national health spending is expected to average more than $10,000 a person this year for the first time in history. By 2025, the administration said, healthcare will represent more than 20% of the economy, up from 17.5% in 2014."

Some Californians see health premiums rise sharply as Obamacare enrollment nears - LA Times

Old 10-30-2016, 06:21 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,975 times
Default SC up 30%?

It seems the new plans are on the website and the previous silver $1200/month plan appears to be $1600. Jesus christ have they screwed this up. South Carolina reporting in. Sucks here!

Old 11-01-2016, 12:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
But with the same 6K family deductibles? I don't hear group plans deductibles anywhere as large what is found on the individual plans in my area. Also network sizes are much more narrow on the individual plans. Providers do not want to touch these plans because 85% of the enrollees can't pay their own premiums. What makes one think they could possibly pay their deductible?
And it's a $4500 EACH deductible - not per family, per PERSON. And then from 30 to FIFTY percent co pay of all costs after that.

But hey - I get prenatal care! Oh wait - that's right - I don't have a uterus anymore. Oh well.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
And people wonder where the jobs are going -- it IS a stupid mess. Congratulations on your husband getting a job and now hopefully you will be able to get on the employer plan as well. Let us know the cost -- just for comparison sake.
$80 per month premium per person ($160 a month). $1000 deductible each. PPO, not HMO. All services at least 80 percent covered (most are 100 percent covered) after small copay of $40 per office visit.

Oh, and this is through BCBS - which we have now.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:38 AM

How is it that people of a specific religion can have cheaper healthcare ? Plus it's not a contract but just an arrangement which makes it even more scary. How is this legal ?

Medishare requires you to be in their religion for example.

Asked of Medishare.........
*Does it require a religious affiliation ?*
You must profess a statement of faith, that is only one God existing in three persons: the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. I believe Jesus is God, in equal standings with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

All members also will agree to the following:
Living by Biblical Standards
to bear one another's burdens
attend and actively support a fellowship of believers regularly.
---

The religious affiliation is not specific, as long as you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, and agree to live by biblical standards.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:50 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
How is it that people of a specific religion can have cheaper healthcare ? Plus it's not a contract but just an arrangement which makes it even more scary. How is this legal ?

Asked of Medishare.........
*Does it require a religious affiliation ?*
You must profess a statement of faith, that is only one God existing in three persons: the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. I believe Jesus is God, in equal standings with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

All members also will agree to the following:
Living by Biblical Standards
to bear one another's burdens
attend and actively support a fellowship of believers regularly.
---

The religious affiliation is not specific, as long as you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, and agree to live by biblical standards.
Law was to cover the Amish and other religious groups which have a similar system from being held responsible for paying Obamacare penalty.

I believe Liberty has a less religious requirement if you want to join that sharing system.

But remember it is not truly insurance. The companies do not need to have significant reserves to pay claims and they can discriminate against pre existing conditions. For those reasons they are significantly cheaper than traditional insurance.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Law was to cover the Amish and other religious groups which have a similar system from being held responsible for paying Obamacare penalty.

I believe Liberty has a less religious requirement if you want to join that sharing system.

But remember it is not truly insurance. The companies do not need to have significant reserves to pay claims and they can discriminate against pre existing conditions. For those reasons they are significantly cheaper than traditional insurance.

Thanks, the deal breaker for me is that many have no contract. I'm asked to believe they will pay.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:07 AM

9,866 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post

---

Well, because it's not insurance, it's a group of like-minded people who agree to share each other's medical expenses.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Well, because it's not insurance, it's a group of like-minded people who agree to share each other's medical expenses.
I get that but I"m stunned that it qualifies as a valid substitute for ACA since there is no contract. Also the rates appear to be much less but you have to join the religion to get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance