Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 10:24 AM

32 posts, read 35,319 times

Advertisements

We moved to Hong Kong in 2011 and now we are in progress moving back to the US. I started to read information about ACA and what we need to do once we get to the US. It's complex as expected, so appreciate if you could give me some directions.

This is our plan:
1. Fly from Hong Kong to Natchitoches, LA on Dec 3rd. Spend time with the family for December.
2. Move to Nashville, TN on the first week of Jan 2017.
3. Either of us expects (hopefully) to start a job in Feb 2017 (or earlier), then enrol the medical through the employer's plan.
4. FYI. Both of us don't have a job currently. We did continue to file tax return to IRS. Since we got tax credit by living abroad, we got $0 Adjusted Gross Income in the years we lived in Hong Kong.

My questions are:
1. Do we still need to get a coverage for one month of Dec 2016?
2. If so, should we get it from Louisiana with status of no income?
3. As we don't know when we will have a job, should we go ahead and enrol for 2017 coverage with status of no income? The deadline is Nov 30 for 2017 coverage.
4. Because we will move to Nashville eventually, should we enrol from Nashville for 2017 coverage (without a home address though)?
5. Any other options we may be eligible?
6. Any others that I need to think about?

Appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 12:09 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyseven! View Post
My questions are:
1. Do we still need to get a coverage for one month of Dec 2016?
2. If so, should we get it from Louisiana with status of no income?
3. As we don't know when we will have a job, should we go ahead and enrol for 2017 coverage with status of no income? The deadline is Nov 30 for 2017 coverage.
4. Because we will move to Nashville eventually, should we enrol from Nashville for 2017 coverage (without a home address though)?
5. Any other options we may be eligible?
6. Any others that I need to think about?
  1. No. You are allowed to be without coverage for three months in a calendar year without penalty.
  2. No. ACA Open enrollment ends January 31st. You can wait until you are settled.
  3. No. ACA Open enrollment ends January 31st. You can wait until you are settled.
  4. Enroll in January 2017 when you will have a Nashville address.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:53 PM

@Ariadne22, thanks a lot. Glad to know we will still have time to enroll.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:24 AM

2,719 posts, read 2,220,898 times
joeyseven - glad to see you made it over here from the SaintsReport forum. Ariadne22 helped me tremendously when I was looking for a medicare supplemental plan.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:03 AM

469 posts, read 762,271 times
Generally, you can only purchase the ACA compliant plans available in your zip code of legal residence. For most people, this is the address on their driver's license or state identification card. I would wait until you have established residence in TN before purchasing an ACA compliant plan.

I would not go without coverage, however. If your current coverage does not include travel to the U.S., look into purchasing a non-compliant Short-Term Medical (STM) plan until you are settled. The STM should be from a reputable company such as United HealthCare or National General. Stay away from accident-only indemnity plans disguised to look like STM plans.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:51 AM

@reubenray, glad to see you on another forum, thanks for the link.

@SCGamecock, I will look into the STM, that's a good suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance