Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 05:58 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,497,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Americans do not even realize how well other citizens of First World Countries around the world can live on working class salaries!
This is very true. I still have relatives in Europe. Last time one visited, she thought our way of life - the pace - was nuts. They may not have McMansions, but they do have a comfortable life - and do a lot of travel and eating out - and seem far more relaxed, happier and in the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 06:57 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,120,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
My SO is British and her mother used to travel to see her several times a year. She has to take out 3rd party health insurance for travel to the U.S. She can (and does) travel to ANY other country on the planet at no additional cost, but travel to the U.S. requires an additional expense which amounts to about $500 USD, for a two week visit. At age 80 it doesn't matter what you are willing to pay, the UK will not insure you for travel to the U.S. if you have a major health indictment like a past heart attack or chronic ailment. 'M' has had a heart attack and also has a pacemaker. Not insurable by NHS for travel to the U.S., anywhere else in the world, yes, but not America. Am I getting through to people? Can you say Outlier, boys and girls?

For the last two years since turning 80, her mother has had to take out Lloyd's of London travel health insurance equivalent to $2000 USD, for a two week visit. This is in addition to airfare. Needless to say, this is probably the last year she will do this. She isn't rich. She has a high school education. But she owns her own home (paid off in 15 years) and vacations in Spain, South of France, Blackpool, Turkey, etc. but she does like to see her daughter. My SO is far better educated, but we just about make ends meet.

Americans do not even realize how well other citizens of First World Countries around the world can live on working class salaries! Too bad, because if they did... I don't think the country would survive the Revolution that would result. Obamagone is the new rallying cry of the "lets resume the race to the bottom" Right Wing. What race... we already won that one. The race now is to see how much worse than emerging economies America can do. Hospital acquired infections are the fifth leading cause of death in America. Do you imagine it is worse than that in India? You'd be wrong. It isn't. Hospital acquired infections are not a significant health impact in India. Or China. Or Cuba!
So, do you drive to California, Washington, or other states? You realize traveling in Europe is like driving from state to state here, right? Your SO may be educated, but tell me about where you live? Your profile says Portland, that's a pretty expensive place to live. How does that compare to your MIL's town? Does she live in one of the most expensive places in the country?

I just went to check on the price of a Lloyd's travel insurance policy and they haven't sold those policies in over year "From 18th September 2015 we no longer introduce Lloyds Travel Insurance. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause." I googled another travel insurance company from England AXA, got a quote for an 80 year old for 10,000,000 in medical coverage for 132.08 pounds which is about $168 US.

Also, your claim that the NHS covers care everywhere is not true EEA country-by-country guide - Healthcare abroad - NHS Choices and even in the countries that it does cover, it's ONLY for emergency care.

Now, in the US, the average salary is around 50K. That is a "working class" salary and the vast majority of people live just fine on that salary, allowing them to travel, etc. as long as they don't over extend their budget...which happens in every country of the world.....

Last edited by Qwerty; 03-09-2017 at 07:45 AM..

Old 03-09-2017, 06:59 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,120,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
This is very true. I still have relatives in Europe. Last time one visited, she thought our way of life - the pace - was nuts. They may not have McMansions, but they do have a comfortable life - and do a lot of travel and eating out - and seem far more relaxed, happier and in the moment.
Everyone I know does a lot of travel and eating out???? Pace of life here is relaxed and most people seem happy. When I've traveled to Europe, I wouldn't say that people are happier there and they certainly don't have the same level of luxury that even the "working class" in the US has.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:32 AM

1,285 posts, read 592,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Also, your claim that the NHS covers care everywhere is not true EEA country-by-country guide - Healthcare abroad - NHS Choices and even in the countries that it does cover, it's ONLY for emergency care.
Here's the text from that link:
Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free, on the same basis as a resident of that country.

But genearlly if you are only visiting they would try and patch you up so you can be tended to by your own doctors where you live.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:35 AM

1,285 posts, read 592,634 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say that people are happier there and they certainly don't have the same level of luxury that even the "working class" in the US has.
You wouldn't say it, that much is obvious.
But that's what the results of surveying actual people reveal.

US is 13th place which is not too bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_...ional_rankings

Old 03-09-2017, 08:48 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
I think that the issue here is that the US does not have UHC, everyone is not covered, we pay a lot more on a per capita basis and as a percentage of GDP for our health care than every other developed country, most of whom have UHC, and we don't get better health outcomes.

Other than that, everything is rosy.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
So, do you drive to California, Washington, or other states? You realize traveling in Europe is like driving from state to state here, right? Your SO may be educated, but tell me about where you live? Your profile says Portland, that's a pretty expensive place to live. How does that compare to your MIL's town? Does she live in one of the most expensive places in the country?

I just went to check on the price of a Lloyd's travel insurance policy and they haven't sold those policies in over year "From 18th September 2015 we no longer introduce Lloyds Travel Insurance. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause." I googled another travel insurance company from England AXA, got a quote for an 80 year old for 10,000,000 in medical coverage for 132.08 pounds which is about $168 US.

Now, in the US, the average salary is around 50K. That is a "working class" salary and the vast majority of people live just fine on that salary, allowing them to travel, etc. as long as they don't over extend their budget...which happens in every country of the world.....
You are correct, Lloyd's no longer sells travel insurance and MIL will be covered by another aegis for her upcoming (last?) trip this year, and it indeed costs $2000 USD for a two week coverage period. Maybe I should scan the receipt for the educational value of it. Your rates are, I suspect, for a healthy 80 year old. Certainly one that does not have any pre-existing conditions. But your post underlies the real problem. As Jaggy surmises, the American way for decades has been to deny the obvious... deny that American infrastructure is sub-par and dangerous, deny that America is the primary driver of Climate Change, deny that America lies at the absolute bottom of international rankings for social and medical welfare, deny that Americans are fundamentally very unhappy people because of the many social, medical and environmental breakdowns that desperately need attention.

A family of four cannot live "just fine" on $50K, and a $50K/yr earner is MUCH more likely to be a sole wage earner of a four unit family than a six figure earner who is as likely as not to be coupled with another six figure earner with zero dependents between them. But, go ahead, dismiss my observations. Deny them. I'm fine with that. When it can all no longer be denied, that's when I'll start to worry. Unless I way miss my guess, that's when you will also start to worry.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:28 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,147,357 times
For every person (like myself) who has bad health insurance yet pays exorbitant rates, there is another person who gets pretty good, affordable coverage through their employer who doesn't want to give that up. I have a bronze plan (through Obamacare) but even finding a doctor who will accept new patients is difficult. But when I had employer coverage my deductibles were reasonable and everyone took my insurance. I believe that equal coverage for all will mean reduced coverage for some people as far as getting everything they want. There will be rationing of care no matter what people believe. I look at all my relatives on Medicare and the numbers are staggering when you consider how many have gotten knees or hips replaced or heart surgeries or stents. There is no waiting list for them to get those procedures either. Universal healthcare would solve a lot of problems but it would also cause some people to get less than what they are receiving now. And because people are selfish, that's why many don't want universal care.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:35 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
For every person (like myself) who has bad health insurance yet pays exorbitant rates, there is another person who gets pretty good, affordable coverage through their employer who doesn't want to give that up. I have a bronze plan (through Obamacare) but even finding a doctor who will accept new patients is difficult. But when I had employer coverage my deductibles were reasonable and everyone took my insurance. I believe that equal coverage for all will mean reduced coverage for some people as far as getting everything they want. There will be rationing of care no matter what people believe. I look at all my relatives on Medicare and the numbers are staggering when you consider how many have gotten knees or hips replaced or heart surgeries or stents. There is no waiting list for them to get those procedures either. Universal healthcare would solve a lot of problems but it would also cause some people to get less than what they are receiving now. And because people are selfish, that's why many don't want universal care.
UHC does not mean equal coverage for all.

For example, in the UK, everyone is covered by the NHS which assures a base level of health care. But everyone is free to buy 'top up' health insurance or pay for private (non-NHS) services if they want a higher level of care. The reality is that most people don't need a higher level of care which is why only around 10% of the UK population buy it.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
I think some of us ascribe a lot of discretion and thought about UHC on the part of average Americans. I don't actually think a majority of Americans don't want UHC. They don't (can't) want to pay for it for people they don't like. UHC is paid for by taxation in all the nations that practice it. Americans are anti-tax. Pathologically so. It is the taxation aspect of a UHC program that incites all the fear and loathing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance