Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 02:22 AM

13 posts, read 19,902 times

Advertisements

I tried applying for Kentucky Medicaid and was denied due to excess income. My husband and I don't make much at our jobs, averages out to about $1100 a month between the both of us. He receives a little over $1500 a month in veteran benefits due to injuries from the service, which thankfully is enough to pay moat of our bills and child support.

The department that handles assistance in Kentucky asked me about other income, so I was of course honest and told the worker what my husband got every month and what it was for. The worker said to provide an award letter, among other things proving our income and that I had a month to do so. I just received a denial letter saying that we had too much income. I haven't even gotten to send in the information they needed yet, since it was just the other day that they told me to do so.

I'm puzzled because I have read on numerous sites (and even the Kentucky website) that veterans benefits are excluded in determining if you are eligible for Medicaid or not.

What should I do now, request a hearing? I need healthcare due to health issues I've had for years that are now weighing me down after not being able to see a doctor for a year or so. I can't afford it out of pocket and my job only offers me eye and dental insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 02:33 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Disability from the VA is no ones concern, as it is a allowance, non taxable income.. It is not to be included as income to any government/state/divorce lawyer etc.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:31 AM

138 posts, read 149,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
It is not to be included as income to any government/state/divorce lawyer etc.
Not true.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:35 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucratic View Post
Not true.
Well, explain then..

Old 03-11-2017, 07:29 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resendetra View Post
What should I do now, request a hearing? I need healthcare due to health issues I've had for years that are now weighing me down after not being able to see a doctor for a year or so. I can't afford it out of pocket and my job only offers me eye and dental insurance.
What was the basis for the monetary determination? It's possible that something else triggered the income denial such as the way your wages were reported and how expenses were allocated.

VA Disability Compensation is excluded from income calculations and should not be counted. You need to add up all your non exempt income and see if it's within the eligibility limits. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon to forget some income payment or even not realize it's counted. It's a whole lot more than just gross wages, but VA Disability can not be counted.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:11 AM

13 posts, read 19,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
What was the basis for the monetary determination? It's possible that something else triggered the income denial such as the way your wages were reported and how expenses were allocated.

VA Disability Compensation is excluded from income calculations and should not be counted. You need to add up all your non exempt income and see if it's within the eligibility limits. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon to forget some income payment or even not realize it's counted. It's a whole lot more than just gross wages, but VA Disability can not be counted.
Well, I ended up getting accepted finally. It had nothing to do with our income at all, Kentucky actually looks at your tax information (when I lived in Michigan before marriage, they ask for paystubs) and that's it. I found out what the problem was though and it made me laugh. The first person I talked to ended up putting my husbands compensation as a pension, which screwed the whole thing up and also put me down as wanting SNAP without saying anything to me (I know we wouldn't qualify for that and it's not needed). I had to call two different people and finally got someone that used to be in the military and knew what I was talking about.

I sent in proof that it's not a pension and they accepted me that same day.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:02 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,670,725 times
Quote:
Well, I ended up getting accepted finally. It had nothing to do with our income at all, Kentucky actually looks at your tax information (when I lived in Michigan before marriage, they ask for paystubs) and that's it. I found out what the problem was though and it made me laugh. The first person I talked to ended up putting my husbands compensation as a pension, which screwed the whole thing up and also put me down as wanting SNAP without saying anything to me (I know we wouldn't qualify for that and it's not needed). I had to call two different people and finally got someone that used to be in the military and knew what I was talking about.

So glad you persevered and finally got accepted.

It is so incredibly frustrating that your income information was incorrectly processed on the first try. I feel really sorry for some people who do not question what they are told but believe the government agency and lose out on deserved benefits. So much misinformation given, I have found, by incompetent people.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:11 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
The first person I talked to ended up putting my husbands compensation as a pension, which screwed the whole thing up
Glad it worked out finally. As an FYI, there is a VA Disability Pension and depending on all the circumstances, he may be receiving some monthly funds under the pension portion in addition to compensation. However, they are both exempt so should not have been an issue because it's normally not even listed on taxes. If they got that from your taxes, you may want to take a look just to make sure you didn't pay taxes on a tax exempt VA payment.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,107 times
Default Question what proof do they take for Medicaid??

Quote:

I just read your thread and like to know what kind of VA proof Kentucky will take for Medicaid?? My mother 86 with COPD on oxygen and frail and elderly just got kicked off Medicaid with Home Waiver program because I didn't get them Award letter in time. I took one up Friday but not sure how much of it they will count as income if any?? She gets spouse of widow Aid and Attendance benefit. I hope to get this resolved soon. Congrats on your approval!

Old 06-03-2018, 04:47 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,086,041 times
Most states allow excess income to be paid into a state-owned trust to reduce the total below the mandated maximum to qualify for Medicaid benefits. The informal name for these income reducing trusts is "Miller" after the court case that legitimized the technique.

The bad news is the trust is irrevocable, and you will need to pay a lawyer to set one up for you. Your local state Medicaid office will likely have specific information on how to proceed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance